Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
W E L C O M E      G U E S T S

Welcome to 6 Star Wrestling. We are a small community of dedicated wrestling fans. Our forum members range from new to the product to 20+ years of viewer knowledge of the product.

We discuss WWE, TNA, ROH, WCW, and various other wrestling companies. Regardless if you have just watched your first wrestling show or if you have been following wrestling your entire life, I guarantee that you'll find someone to have an in-depth and enjoyable conversation with.

We also have discussions that are not related to wrestling. We discuss movies, music, news, play games, and do all sorts of fun and interesting things. So even if you are not a wrestling fan, we can guarantee you'll find something to keep your interest while you are here.

Feel free to follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook with the links below!

Please enjoy,
The 6 Star Community

Register your free account today!

http://6starwrestling.net

http://twitter.com/6StarWrestling

http://facebook.com/6StarWrestling

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
King of Sports: New Japan Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread
Topic Started: Jan 4 2015, 01:56 AM (2,535 Views)
NWO
Member Avatar

IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada

IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Kota Ibushi

Singles Match: AJ Styles vs. Tetsuya Naito

IWGP Tag Team Championship Match: Bullet Club (Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson) (c) vs. Meiyu Tag (Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: Ryusuke Taguchi (c) vs. Kenny Omega

NEVER Openweight Championship Match: Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs. Togi Makabe

UWFi Rules Match: Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Minoru Suzuki
The only way to win is by knockout, submission, or referee stoppage.

Eight Man Tag Team Match: Toru Yano, Naomichi Marufuji and TMDK (Mikey Nicholls & Shane Haste) vs. Suzukigun (Davey Boy Smith Jr., Lance Archer, Shelton X Benjamin & Takashi Iizuka)

Six Man Tag Team Match: Bullet Club (Jeff Jarrett, Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi) vs. Tomoaki Honma and Tencozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Four Way Match: reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly) (c) vs. Forever Hooligans (Alex Koslov & Rocky Romero) vs. Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

15-Man NJPW Rumble Pre-Show Match: Featuring Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi, Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask and more
Time difference with 1 minute intervals; over the top rope elimination rules; competitors will be announced when their theme song plays.

I WILL be crying at the beauty of puroresu watching this live at 2 AM eastern on NJPW World because I am a true fan and not an American baby that needs Jim Ross telling me about people he has never seen wrestle.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nubochanozep
Member Avatar

Ahmed Johnson should wrestle there. He could call his move the 'Pearl Harbor Plunge'

Posted Image

When the wrestlers are introduced, do they rise into the stadium like the Iron Chefs do in Kitchen Stadium?

Posted Image

I hear that one of the wrestlers misheard 'enzuigiri' for 'ikizukuri', and mistakenly ate his competitor as a result.

Posted Image

NWO
Member Avatar

Nakamura and Ibushi was so amazing and I love wrestling and I'm really tired.

Nubochanozep
Member Avatar

should do a little review or something. i'd actually be interested in reading about it.

_DL_
Member Avatar
BURN IT DOOOWWNNNNNNNN!
NWO
Jan 4 2015, 10:00 AM
Nakamura and Ibushi was so amazing and I love wrestling and I'm really tired.
Yeah, I really enjoyed it.

Kame

I just started watching the show now. I'm hearing rave reviews about the match between Nakamura and Ibushi. Can't say I'm surprised about that one. Also, a lot of people seem to be upset that Okada didn't go over Tanahashi. What do you think, NWO?

Kame

Posted Image

THE CLEANER~!

_DL_
Member Avatar
BURN IT DOOOWWNNNNNNNN!
Tanahashi seems to be so over that it's almost inhuman.

Purple Marauder
Member Avatar
Stand Back! There's a Hurricane Coming Through
NWO
Jan 4 2015, 01:56 AM
I WILL be crying at the beauty of puroresu watching this live at 2 AM eastern on NJPW World because I am a true fan and not an American baby that needs Jim Ross telling me about people he has never seen wrestle.
So, you're a wrestling hipster. Got it.

NWO
Member Avatar

Gotta live the gimmick, brother.

SPOILERS FROM HERE OBVIOUSLY

I actually watched the NJPW World feed on my TV and synced an english stream to listen to the commentary. JR really struggled early and I was worried that he was just completely unprepared. But he started to grow into it after the first few big tag matches when the pace slowed down and he could focus on telling a story. He was excellent for the two main events.

Matt Striker was annoying from time to time but was definitely the right choice once Mike Tenay fell through. They needed a professional broadcaster to help JR. Getting someone who just knows facts like John Pollock or Dave Meltzer would've really hurt the show even if they would have been more informed.

Everything was at least as good as expected. Even the subpar matches had cool moments like Honma finally hitting the top rope kokeshi and the NOAH dudes in their match. The four hour window for the US PPV hurt the show because we didn't get the normal elaborate Wrestle Kingdom entrances, but none of the matches felt too short on time. The final two matches were incredible match of the year contenders.

I was really surprised that Okada lost to Tanahashi, but I was fine with it. I'm not tired of them having big matches together yet. They're both (especially Tanahashi) so good at putting together matches. Every spot means something and builds on the previous match. I wish the rainmaker kickout meant more. It happened before the crowd really got into the match. Maybe the story for the next match will be Okada needing to find something else to put Tanahashi away. Or maybe he will just kill him with three rainmakers like he did to Shinsuke at the G1 final.

I'm pretty sure they both have three wins (along with the G1 draw) against each other now with Okada losing both Wrestle Kingdom matches. You should be able to get another huge Wrestle Kingdom main event out of them with Okada finally going over. Any more than that would probably be pushing it with Okada having kicked out of a million High Fly Flows and Tanahashi kicking out of the rainmaker. There isn't a ton left for them to do.

Gedo and Jado will need to start pushing different guys to the IWGP Heavyweight title picture soon. You could argue that time was now and that they were too conservative in not giving Ibushi the win over Shinsuke and having Tanahashi go over Okada. The short term business will be tremendous so it's hard to argue that they made the wrong decision. They just need to make sure that they don't give the guys on the edge of title contention so many losses that it hurts their credibility. It feels like we are almost there with Naito, but they can build him back fairly quickly by giving him some big wins.

It will be interesting to see where they go from here. I assume AJ is the next challenger for Tanahashi. I'd like to see Shinsuke, Suzuki, Shibata and Ishii challenge for the title this year. It feels like a pretty big missed opportunity if we don't get a Shinsuke title reign sometime soon. There are a lot of options with almost two handfuls of credible challengers. It feels like Ibushi is the closest to cementing himself as the fourth star in New Japan. Hopefully he gets the Intercontinental title soon and Shinsuke can move on to the heavyweight strap.
Edited by NWO, Jan 4 2015, 10:36 PM.

Kame

NWO
Jan 4 2015, 10:33 PM
Gedo and Jado will need to start pushing different guys to the IWGP Heavyweight title picture soon. You could argue that time was now and that they were too conservative in not giving Ibushi the win over Shinsuke and having Tanahashi go over Okada.
I disagree, but you aren't the first person that I've seen make a comment like this. When Ibushi finally does beat Nakamura, it is going to be an incredible moment. Last night at WK9 would have been too soon. Jado and Gedo know what they're doing.

I was very shocked to hear that Okada didn't beat Tanahashi, though. I still haven't had a chance to watch the match, but I read that Okada, who was so upset after losing, broke down in tears afterwards. I like the sound of that.

NWO
Member Avatar

Meltzer star ratings:
Nakamura vs. Ibushi - *****
Tanahashi vs. Okada - **** 3/4
Ishii vs. Makabe - **** 1/2
AJ vs. Naito - **** 1/4
Jr. Tag - ****
Suzuki vs. Sakuraba - *** 3/4
Omega vs. Taguchi - *** 3/4

I think I would've given both main events ***** and would've been about a 1/4 star lower on everything else.

Kame

There's a rumor going around that NJPW has bought NOAH and that Jado is booking the company now. Woah.

NWO
Member Avatar

I'm not sure how much they control but Meltzer reported they at least control a big portion of it now. Really interesting if Jado is booking it. The Suzuki-Gun invasion stuff all seems pretty awesome. It should be a really fun mutual relationship if guys like Suzuki, Nagata and Kojima can get top spots in NOAH in return for NJPW using guys like Marufuji, TMDK, Sekimoto and Sugiura

Kame

Is Sekimoto a NOAH guy now? Last I checked, he was primarily working for BJW. Such a fun wrestler to watch.

Kraul

I'm finally giving Wrestle Kingdom 9 a watch right now. Its my first NJPW show and one I've been interested in checking out for some time.

I'm probably more excited to sit down and watch this than I've been to sit down and watch a WrestleMania since Flair's send-off.

Edit:

And the show is over. My thoughts follow.

I'm someone who is very much a western wrestling fan, leaning towards the old school. I've never seen more than bits and pieces of Japanese wrestling, with most of what I've seen being the comedy stuff. I know almost nothing of what to expect other than I've heard a lot of positive hype around it.

In other words...

The following are the opinions of a first-timer.
Edited by Kraul, Feb 9 2015, 05:00 AM.

Kame

Spoiler: click to toggle

Well, shit.

NWO
Member Avatar

NWO
Member Avatar

Meltzer gave Ishii vs. Honma from the New Beginning in Sendai the full five stars. It was an incredible match. Hopefully we at least get Honma involved in the NEVER title picture as he's one of the best workers and faces in the world.

Kame

WrestlingInc.com

Kota Ibushi is your 2015 New Japan Cup winner. The event, taking place at the Hiroshima Sun Plaza arena drew 5,120 and sealed up an IWGP Championship shot for Ibushi. He'll face AJ Styles on April 5th at Sumo Hall.
Styles vs. Ibushi should be awesome. Can't wait to see that.

The Midnight Rider
Member Avatar

New Japan Cup results were pretty surprising. Super excited for AJ vs. Kota though.

NWO
Member Avatar

The Dominion card (July 5th) looks really good. Spoilered if you didn't see the last show

Hopefully a junior tag titles match and something with Ibushi/Naito to be added.
Edited by NWO, May 8 2015, 07:49 AM.

Kame

I'm excited for this year's BOSJ. I don't think the lineup is as good as it has been in previous years, but it's the one wrestling event that I look forward to every year. I wonder if Fit Finlay's son will be any good. Expecting KUSHIDA or Kyle O'Reilly to win.

NWO
Member Avatar

There's a lot of disappointment in the lineup that I don't really understand. I would've liked some guys from outside the promotion like Zach Sabre Jr., but pretty much everyone is a good worker still. Hoping Kushida wins and regains the push that ended really abruptly once he lost the title.

NWO
Member Avatar

The Super Juniors final between
was phenomenal and a must see match.

Kame

I've read great things about that match. MOTYC, yeah? I'm gonna make it a point to watch it at some point this week. KUSHIDA and O'Reilly have both improved a ton over the years. I remember when both guys were just starting out.

NWO
Member Avatar

Watched it again and it is definitely in consideration for me. I'm a sucker for long matches that are paced well with a big match feel though. Kyle was incredible and made difficult spots look absurdly smooth. Everything looked amazing except for one spot in the finishing sequence that they probably shouldn't have tried after being so gassed and they definitely shouldn't have shown a replay of. Meltzer called it one of the five best matches of the year so far and a potential star making performance from both guys.

This entire tournament proved that there is a lot of quality in the NJPW juniors division. It might not have a ton of top level elite talent, but so many guys are very good wrestlers. It's been a problem that so many guys are tied up in the junior tag division that it dilutes the quality of the singles division. They would really be better served with one set of tag titles with no weight restrictions, but they're obviously not going to change that. Kushida, O'Reilly, Bobby Fish, Rocky Romero, Trent and Nick Jackson all really proved their worthiness as singles in this tournament. Younger guys like Komatsu and Finlay looked promising as well. Hopefully this proves to be some kind of revitalization for the division.
Edited by NWO, Jun 8 2015, 12:13 PM.

Kame

Do you remember Fujita "Jr." Hayato? I loved that dude so much. It really bums me out that he hasn't appeared in NJPW in something like five years now. I guess he's just working for Michinoku Pro these days.
Edited by Kame, Jun 28 2015, 12:07 AM.

Kame

Karl Anderson noted on this week's episode of Talk'n Shop (MLW Radio) that he is going to be wearing a Finn Balor shirt to the ring at the 7/3 Korakuen Hall show. Wonderful. :tu:
Edited by Kame, Jun 28 2015, 12:07 AM.

_DL_
Member Avatar
BURN IT DOOOWWNNNNNNNN!
Damn, I missed Dominion.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Wrestling · Next Topic »
Add Reply