Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bigfoot Discussions. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Will FINDING BIGFOOT have a negative impact on Bigfoot research?
Topic Started: Jan 13 2012, 08:14 PM (1,561 Views)
GuyInIndiana
Member Avatar
General Peepmaster
[ *  *  * ]
http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/dranginis-fb/

Quote:

Will Finding Bigfoot Have A Negative Impact On Bigfoot Research?

Posted by: Loren Coleman on January 13th, 2012

Will the Animal Planet program Finding Bigfoot have a negative impact on Sasquatch field studies and research?

One researcher certainly feels so.

Posted Image

William Dranginis of Manassas, Virginia, and director of Virginia Bigfoot Research, gives his permission to share his sense of the influence of the program on today’s research and discovery of Bigfoot:

""First of all the BFRO (Finding Bigfoot) is NOT a scientific group or does it practice Scientific Methodology in any of their investigations, that I know of anyway. When I was a BFRO Curator back in 1999/2000, no scientific methodologies were used. The Finding Bigfoot Show is no different than the Ghost Hunters show on the Sci-Fi channel. How do I know that, I was contacted by the producers of the Finding Bigfoot show when the show was in its infancy. I was told by them it would be just like the Ghost Hunters show except they will be looking for the Bigfoot creatures. I didn’t want any part of it so I declined.

Before the Finding Bigfoot show aired, I seldom received Bigfoot Sighting Reports that included sounds like calls and tree knocks. The sighting reports I received were of the actual creature or creatures and possible tracks. When I traveled to the sighting location and interviewed the eyewitness, it was rare that any type of calls or tree knocks were mentioned. The sightings I received were randomly scattered throughout remote areas.

Since the Finding Bigfoot show aired, a majority of the reports that come into my website are from people in urban areas usually in housing subdivisions. Those reports have included tree knocks, calls or rock clacking sounds. Not a single creature sighting.

When I contact the person that files the report, they expect a TEAM to come out and set up equipment at their property to monitor the activity 24/7. And since their children are into Bigfoot because of the television show, they need to be part of the team! About three months ago I received two separate reports from the same subdivision in a nearby town, both families lived in homes that back to the same patch of woods, both had young children, both watched Finding Bigfoot, both would go out to their back woods and broadcast Bigfoot calls they found on the internet and also do tree knocks and rock clacking.

What one family was hearing and reporting were the sounds generated by the other family down the street. Then without knowing, they would reverse rolls, ultimately both families contacted me through my website to report Bigfoot lives in their back yard! Once I discovered what was going on I told them to stop the calls and tree knocks, since then, the Bigfoot seemed to have disappeared from the subdivision.

With that said, it’s my opinion that the Finding Bigfoot show has actually polluted the once tranquil environment of the forests, now those same woods are filled with children and people hoping to lure Bigfoot in with their calls and tree knocking. The members of the Finding Bigfoot show are now teaching the children watching the show that everything they hear, smell or see is a Bigfoot!!! There is absolutely no science being practiced by the Finding Bigfoot team, just deception of the children’’s young minds that watch it.

Also, how many children and adults will be victims of tick bites that will result in Lyme disease or get bitten by poisonous snakes as they venture into the woods looking to Find Bigfoot? Maybe the Finding Bigfoot producers should think of putting in some disclaimers on the show just like the Myth Busters television show does. Better yet, TEACH the children about the hazards of being in the woods while Finding Bigfoot. Teach them about ticks and Lyme disease and how you can get it, TEACH them about poisonous snakes and how to identify them and what to do if bitten by them.

It’s my opinion that the hands of the Finding Bigfoot Clock have been pushed back and are actually reversing direction with the Finding Bigfoot show.

BTW, my Finding Bigfoot Clock” (trademark) is based on the famous Doomsday Clock face started in 1947 by the board of directors of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists at the University of Chicago. The closer the clock is to midnight, the closer the world is to global disaster!

The “Finding Bigfoot Clock” (trademark) time has been going backwards since the Georgia Boys fiasco and Animals Planet’s Finding Bigfoot came out.""

Posted Image

My personal take on it, is that it isn't THAT bleak as he makes it, but the show DOES tend to make researchers appear in a poor light by creating the impression that THESE ARE what mainstream bigfoot research is all about.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paulw
Member Avatar
Camo Junkie
[ *  *  * ]
I agree Mike, it's not as bad as he makes it out to be, by a long shot. I'm not much of a fan of at least one of the "cast", but I guess the show is somewhat of a guilty pleasure with me...fills in the down time when Destination Truth is not on, at least!
That said, yeah, I understand that they are at times boarderline ridiculous..but at the same time, perhaps it's at least another step in "maintreaming" the subject, as far as it can be mainstream at least.
But where he really runs off the road, is the suggestion that people should NOT go out and enjoy the woods(in whatever method they wish!). He makes it sound like there are tens of thousands of people running around in the woods "contaminating" it for the "real" researchers. Um...no, just...no.

keilder
Member Avatar
Dreams of turnips and potatoes
[ *  *  * ]
I think Bills way off base on this one.

We’ve had Boggy Creek, A&E (Leonard Nimoy), and documentary after documentary; Let's not forget 'Monster Quest' and all the BF episodes.....didn’t Autumn Williams have some sort of show hunting BF with some clown in a sheepskin?

I’ve never been able to find that on-line and would love to watch it.

My point however, it’s been mainstream before, if a vertical niche market of interest can be classed as mainstream (the woods never got filled, 100’s never died from snake bits etc.,) Bills only pissed as people have contacted him, who have watched this show and wasted his time and he’s not a h.appy bunny. (rightly so, but he could of just let it go)

He needs to take a chill pill, kick back and have a laugh at times (That’s one thing that is seriously lacking in this field - ‘humour’) The show will fizzle out sooner or later due to content, and as most people are so fickle it will be forgot about.
Edited by keilder, Jan 14 2012, 08:11 AM.

Stacy
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
I don't think it will impact so-called "Bigfoot Research" in the slightest, at least in the big picture, although I can see why Bill's frustrated. I have to believe that a very, VERY small percentage of the population is actually up and watching this show at 10:00 on Sunday nights, and those who are up are probably watching football or the news.

Even if it increased the number of believers and encouraged people to be like 3/4s of the cast of the show, who think that every snap, crackle and pop they hear in the woods is a "Squatch" (and oh, don't they realize how retarded that sounds?)... how's that going to affect anyone's results and the field in general? It won't. Yeah, there may be a tiny handful of extra stupid reports coming in because of it, but let's face it--chasing reports accomplishes jack s#!t anyway.

Jamie
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
removed

Redwolf
Not to be messed with. Seriously.
[ *  *  * ]
Warning: The following statement is the opinion of "Redwolf" and not necessarily the opinion of the BFD board.

First of all, I don't watch the show because my doctor says it raises my blood pressure and my parole officer says that it increases my tendency to slap certain people upside the head.

I have caught glimpses of the show and yes, I'm sure the show does likely add to the number of people who report every twig and shadow as a sasquatch. It happens whenever there is a highly publicized sighting or a new show on about the subject. Does it fill the woods with these people? I seriously doubt it. That said, the field has always been full of people who see a bigfoot behind every tree.

As Stacy said, it doesn't matter because it's not going to effect the REAL researchers. How could it? They have spent enough time in the woods to know what they are seeing and what they are hearing and if they don't, they can think critically to make a sound enough determination or seek help from an independent source. More importantly, they don't have to play up a noise for a camera crew or audience.

I think overall, the show is just mindless entertainment that I avoid for reasons most of you know well. Now, if they replaced MM with a shirtless Dwayne Johnson, I might start watching.

Honestly though, it's the real researchers who will most likely be involved if sasquatch is discovered, the ones who are not followed by cameras or signing posters at bigfoot gatherings.

So while the egos attack each other. The real researchers will continue their work until they have undeniable proof

..and then blow all those egotistical minds!

...and for all that is good in the world, I hope they somehow figure out a way to get a shirtless Dwayne Johnson involved!

Edited by Redwolf, Jan 14 2013, 11:20 PM.

Redwolf
Not to be messed with. Seriously.
[ *  *  * ]
:DOH: I killed it didn't I?

Jamie
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Sightings are by chance. They are being illusive and happen upon people, when spotted they retreat back into bush and have to find another way around the people, there are exceptions of course, like easy food and the like but if they know your watching they are not gonna come up and say hi here I am.

Bukwas
Member Avatar
Likes a drafty basement
[ *  *  * ]
I think we're all in pretty much agreement that the show isn't going to make the studies/investigation of BF go to hell in a handbasket. All of us know that it should be viewed as strictly entertainment only but I do think there should be a disclaimer at the beginning of the show to define that. As Keilder/Ted/Whoknowswhatnamehe'llhavenextmonth?/My Long Lost Brother Across The Pond has mentioned: William needs to lighten up a wee bit.
That being said I think I'll go into the back yard and make some WHOOP calls and see how long it takes the police to show up.. ^o)

Jim Flowers
TBA
[ *  *  * ]
William Dranginis

With that said, it’s my opinion that the Finding Bigfoot show has actually polluted the once tranquil environment of the forests, now those same woods are filled with children and people hoping to lure Bigfoot in with their calls and tree knocking. The members of the Finding Bigfoot show are now teaching the children watching the show that everything they hear, smell or see is a Bigfoot!!! There is absolutely no science being practiced by the Finding Bigfoot team, just deception of the children’’s young minds that watch it.
Really? "Finding Bigfoot" caused this?
I think too much credit is given to a show that to anyone serious about the subject ( or semi-serious) finds to be nothing more than cheap entertainment.
If you're looking for a cause of why BF research isn't taken seriously, look no further than all of the people involved who report, find and catalog bad " evidence " and have for years. Most of them can be found on the internet passing off information as fact, that is nothing more than conjecture.
This has been going on for years, it is not a new thing, and for Dranginis to suggest that is is ( he is one of the people who, in the past, has done just this, if you know your BF internet history.)
I'm by no means defending Not Finding Bigfoot, as I call it, and in truth I don't really watch it as I find it kind of lame.
But like people used to do with EB all of the time, they give him/them more power than they deserve by referring to it as the basis for 'research".

Bukwas
Member Avatar
Likes a drafty basement
[ *  *  * ]
I love it when Jim puts his 2 cents in, just like the good old days when someone would spout off and Jim would flatten 'em..

:D

Jim Flowers
TBA
[ *  *  * ]
Yeah. Those days are over, for the most part. I've seen and found what I needed to for my own gratification. Now I'm just in it to hang out with my compadres and hopefully, in some small way help them to accomplish their goals in this thing we call bigfooting.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
« Previous Topic · Cryptomundo.com · Next Topic »
Add Reply

PRINT theme created by tiptopolive of the Zetaboards Theme Zone