Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bigfoot Discussions. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
940 nm LED Flashlight
Topic Started: Jan 22 2012, 06:29 PM (1,235 Views)
GuyInIndiana
Member Avatar
General Peepmaster
[ *  *  * ]
http://www.spycameras.com/item,ir-400bf,100ft-range-60-deg-940nm-total-invisible-disguised-in-a-flash-light.html

Posted Image

In case any of you are looking to augment your night-vision's ability to see better, here's a 940 nm light that claims NO RED GLOW visible at all. Of course, you should check your night vision or camera to see if IT can utilize 940 nm infrared light fully.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stacy
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Holy COW... I do want an IR flashlight/spotlight this year, but dang, that's a lot of money for something like that. I'm not worried about the glow anyway so I think I'll find something cheaper or make one... but that's a cool thing anyway!

Redwolf
Not to be messed with. Seriously.
[ *  *  * ]
Very cool but a little spendy for me right now lol!

keilder
Member Avatar
Dreams of turnips and potatoes
[ *  *  * ]
cheaper option.

Buy a cheap LED torch, and switch out the LED's with these...

should come in at under 20-30 bucks... :biggrin

High Powered LED's

Stacy
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
HUH!! Soooo, I've never disassembled an LED flashlight... do the little bulbs just pull out like Christmas lights? And these would plug right back in their place? Are they all the same size? I could get excited about this. :D

keilder
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
in a nutshell pretty much! though most will be soldered onto a small circuit board with maybe a reverse diode, some resistors etc., power drains pretty much the same and if the LED torches have LED inside that are the same size as whats on offer from the above link (5mm avg if I recall), shouldn't be too difficult - de-solder old ones out, pop in news ones and re solder.

Or build your own..Battery +/- connection and some LED's but don't forget the resistors are you'll fry the LED's (bit like hooking up a high beam bulb direct to your car battery - zapp, you need a fuse in between) normally its about 500-1000 Ohmns.

Moregans your man Stacy here, as its been decades since I messed about with electronics/cheese boards/arduino boards etc.

You'll probably want something with a bit more umff or output (Watts) this should do plus, I recall reading (oh don't ask me from where) that most cameras can't handle IR very well above 940nm so its best to keep to 840-900nm.
Edited by keilder, Feb 13 2012, 10:02 PM.

Stacy
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
You lost me at diode. blink

Thanks though, I'm sure Jim will understand that a heck of a lot better then I did lol... maybe it's something we can try!

keilder
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Its unlikely you'll come across one Stacy, unless its a rechargeable torch. (They just stops the flow of electricity going back out once charged)

I just dismantled my little AA Maglite with an LED adapter and though it will be a pain in the arse getting it out the housing (suckers pretty damn tight in there on the little circuit board), yep! just a simple matter of de soldering the 3 LEDs and replacing with the ones above, both 5mm...

And sure, tinker as at cents per LED etc., you've nothing to loose.

moregon
What'a Ham.
[ *  *  * ]
Stacy
Feb 13 2012, 10:10 PM
You lost me at diode. blink
Thank God keilder didn't bring up Pentodes, Tetrodes, IC's or Thermistors!

I think the easiest thing to do, and probably one of the cheaper is to buy one of those PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards) they use to build the kits for those large LED Arrays to use as a flood light more so than a spot light. They are suppose to give off a lot of light, but unlike a spotlight, which a flashlight is as well, you may not have the distance, but you should get a lot of light covering a wide area out to a reasonsable distance. Then simply replace the LEDs you would normally use to produce Visible light with IR LEDs. I "THINK" I did see a kit available you could do that with, or at least detailed instructions on which LEDs to use.

A quick check online while writing this came up with the exact thing I was talking about, here's a link to an image and detailed instructions etc of an LED Light Array that should be invisible to the naked eye at 940 nm.

http://lucidscience.com/pro-led%20array%20illuminator-1.aspx

Stacy
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Sweet! I bookmarked that and will look more into it... wouldn't need anything that big, just large flashlight/spotlight sized... it's the soldering that would be the issue but I'm pretty sure Bo knows how to do that. Thanks! :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Technology and Tools · Next Topic »
Add Reply

PRINT theme created by tiptopolive of the Zetaboards Theme Zone