Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bigfoot Discussions. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Bigfoot Infrasound?; How elephants do it.
Topic Started: Nov 20 2012, 06:58 PM (648 Views)
GuyInIndiana
Member Avatar
General Peepmaster
[ *  *  * ]
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/342777/title/How_the_elephant_gets_its_infrasound

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stacy
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Interesting! I still think infrasound is a possibility with the big guys, especially given some of the really low stuff we've recorded. Wonder what's out there that could record infrasound, even though we couldn't hear it, but that could maybe show it on a spectrogram?

keilder
Member Avatar
Dreams of turnips and potatoes
[ *  *  * ]
There was a company (Swedish or German) when I was looking into my own weird experience and trying to solve that. Sventak or Svantek, but there specialized engineering monitors classed as Vibrometres. That yes, recorded the wave signature not the sound.

Damned expensive if I recollect.

My only problem with this, as we have no base-line to go on! How can you successfully say that this wave you recorded was an accurate recording of a BF when it could be normal background infrasound, water pumps etc.,

I suppose if you could find a mic that picked up to 1Hz to 20Hz, then that could be adapted to a laptop then a program wrote to capture the signal/wave. Actually you might be able to adapt a really large speaker and use the speaker, as it has enough surface area to vibrate and send the pulses back.( i.e reverse the speaker and use it as a capture device) Just thinking out loud.
Edited by keilder, Nov 21 2012, 04:13 AM.

Doberman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Infrasound is characterized by an ability to cover long distances and get around obstacles with little dissipation. It is lower in frequency than 20 Hz, below the normal limit of human hearing. Whales, Elephants, Hippopotamuses, Rhinoceros, Giraffes, Okapi, & Alligators are known to use infrasound to communicate over long distances. Elephants, in particular, produce infrasound waves that travel through solid ground and are sensed by other herds using their feet, although they may be separated by hundreds of miles. One study has suggested that infrasound may cause feelings of awe or fear in humans. Look at the advantages for a Sasquatch, why couldn't it have been evolved like other animals did, but as a tool to communicate through distances of heavily forest terrain without humans hearing it, and also as a first line defense mechanism when humans get too close. Could explain a lot?

Doberman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
http://www.infiltec.com/Infrasound@home

Contacted this company via email. They said they could record Infrasound from wildlife with their recorders. I've included the contact email address to the company if anyone is curious.

DSaum@infiltec.com

keilder
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
You still need a base line or it's all speculation, and if you have a base line game over. catch 22.

Stacy
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
I've always thought it was a possibility, but after one particular episode with my adult son that had us packing up and leaving camp at 1:30 in the morning with him completely freaked out, I think it's really, REALLY a possibility, if not a probability.

Just Curious
Member Avatar
Curiosity Squared
[ *  *  * ]
I know infrasound is supposed to have this affect (fear, etc.), but if true, wouldn't you think people visiting a zoo would be affected by it? I don't think people are, but I don't know how to interpret that. Do animals not use it in captivity? Do they use it, but not while people are visiting? Are people affected, but just don't react when they're around a lot of people?

keilder, I understand what you're saying about sorting out all the various infrasound sources, but I think when it's 'interpreted' via computer software to be audible, you'd hear a 'voice' distinct from other sources. I know this same issue existed when they first discovered that giraffe's do in fact make sounds. At first they thought it was something in the environment. (Random knowledge accumulated from an assignment my daughter did on the giraffe)

I read the same thing you posted Doberman (and I know it's the same source because I wondered what the heck an okapi was, lol). I found a place that had the whole setup for under $2000. It's on my wish list for when I win the lottery. It was while considering the whole idea of bigfoot using infrasound that I had the random thought of using the infrasonic rodent repellent thingy. Swirling around in my little head is this half-baked idea of 'forget call blasting' use infrasound. I don't mean the rodent thingy would speak their language, just that it might send a signal unusual to them and make them curious enough to check it out.

keilder
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I never considered that before JC, I would assume and it purely is a guess that when people do become nauseous, unnerved sometimes at Zooís that may actually be the culprit. Well thought out, well thought out indeed.

The software would be easy, but I see a serious problem and damn itís going to be expensive to do. As you will need to take as many sources of natural infrasound known, same for animals then cross reference.

i.e

Is this known in nature or natural?

No

Can an animal make it?

Yes

Is this animal known to exist here?

No (red flag for further study)

But gathering all that data will be outside of everybodyís budget, even Hersoms as it would be time consuming and take years. Then what if you have as an example a Bear is discovered to make a sound of 5.1 Hz, then 5.1 Hz can also be created by many things in nature and manmade, and for the sake of argument BF can emit 5.1 Hz

I like your rodent idea, as itís kind of using chaos against chaos and distance! A randomly emitting frequency from x to y on a scaleÖBut again if you go into the 5-6 Hz thatís a pretty dangerous area to be playing with and maybe thatís the range you do need.

Thereís Vic Tandy (deceased now) but he discovered that around 19 Hz unsettled people and I canít recall the frequency, another also vibrated the eye ball and made you see things out the corner of your eye, combined with uneasiness he applied it to Ghost research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Tandy

Itís a fascinating field and subject, but expensive and possibly dangerousÖ

Just Curious
Member Avatar
Curiosity Squared
[ *  *  * ]
I think quite a bit of the work on recording some animals has already been done keilder. Check out this whole website and see the work they've done/are doing: Fauna Communications

That's just one place working on bioacoustic research. I'm sure there are others. Of course, in each of these cases, they were able to stick a microphone near the subject while observing behavior to correlate an action with the vocalization. Note specifically the neck throw associated with giraffe vocalizations.

That's the real problem with trying to do this 'blindly', i.e., just sticking a mic 'out there.' It would have to be a situation where someone actually hearing what they think are bigfoot vocalizations at the audible level then simultaneously recording at the infrasonic level. Assuming some inaudible sounds are recorded, it would then be a matter of waiting for another encounter, and another and receiving the same inaudible recordings. Then scientifically speaking, you'd have a recording that could be compared to recordings at other sites, just like with the audible recordings floating around.

Not as neat and tidy as recording out of a cage, but we have to work with what we're given...

moregon
What'a Ham.
[ *  *  * ]
I've always had my doubts about Bigfoot creating infrasound, after all he IS quite a bit smaller than an elephant or some of the other creatures that allegedly use infrasound... that is until... A week or so ago on Facebook someone posted a video of a Koala Bear vocalizing its mating call.

The video below is not the same video that was posted on Facebook but it's still a koala giving it's mating call. If something THIS small can hit notes THIS low, it's not all that hard to believe a bigfoot, which I'm sure would be considerably larger than a Koala, should likely be able to produce sounds within the infrasound range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMXBV9oLbVk
Edited by moregon, Dec 14 2013, 03:28 AM.

keilder
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The problem is, infrasound is below our range of hearing that we can't hear or record without special devices and thats normally based on the air pressure not the sound.

If you want my honest opinion I just think it's all BS, BF does this as we can't find him, we get scared because etc. Hell I get scared sometimes in the woods - WHY? I have no idea it just happens.

I was in Chalk Memorial Bothy and crapping my pants alone, and I have no idea to that day what brought that on....I kept a light on all night pointing at the door and had a really uneasy night. (Theres no Bigfoots in Scotland) I think it was Galloway Forest with owls over head and again an uneasy night....

any of the lunatic fringe would have attributed that to bigfoot being close by.

Yes infrasound creates weird feelings in people, but I think it's just getting out of hand, without contrete proof it's messing with something that's possibly dangerous and way outside of our budgets and most peoples knowledge.

Like you I have to admit, I really have my doubts, but on the other hand it does make sense for hunting...I don't know.

and sorry JC yes I know about some of those sound banks, but as you pointed out you need to be so close to diifferentiate from natural infrasound to the animal otherwise its a crap shoot.

If I had the money, I would do boots on ground, changing every few weeks with all wearing bullet HD cams constantly, as I posted on here I think once if you have £1 mill to spare it's possible without wages and a Timed Deposit in India at 9% that would give you £90,000 less tax (about 37%) so £56,700 to keep it going for ever.

Or you could be a resident of the Isle of Man off shore, and pay 20% tax......£72,000

No offense if he ever reads this, but I think Wally Hersom was a bit of an idiot with what he paid.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Rest of the Speculation · Next Topic »
Add Reply

PRINT theme created by tiptopolive of the Zetaboards Theme Zone