Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bigfoot Discussions. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TBRC name change....; now "NAWAC"
Topic Started: Mar 17 2013, 11:57 AM (681 Views)
GuyInIndiana
Member Avatar
General Peepmaster
[ *  *  * ]
http://texasbigfoot.com/index.php/news/news/48-news/227

From the longer version... here's the Reader's Digest Version:

Quote:

To that end, after long consideration by and following a unanimous vote of this organization's Board of Directors, we are pleased to announce that from this point forward, the Texas Bigfoot Research Conservancy (TBRC) shall be known as the North American Wood Ape Conservancy (NAWAC). While we recognize changing how language is used is a long and perhaps quixotic endeavor, we feel that the needs of this amazing species are poorly served by the silly patina that has accreted over the term "Bigfoot."

My take is, that like many of us, they feel "bigfoot" more often than not comes off as a silly 'name', and because they feel it more accurately describes their observations of the creature, they want to call them *wood apes*. That's cool I guess. I don't know why *sassquatch* doesn't work for them, but I gather from reading from what those associated with the group post from place to place, that they want to stand out and distinguish themselves from the rest of the research field, so they adopted a name for the creature that's highly unique. I really think it's as much a marketing/political thing as anything else, but hey, it's their group. They can call the critter anything they want.
Edited by GuyInIndiana, Mar 17 2013, 01:18 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pat
Member Avatar
Kick-ass Artist in Residence
[ *  *  * ]
Uh ... yeah ... well it's their flavour of the month isn't it (or year), or every FEW years.

I see a few things going on here. FIRST, they're changing the whole name of their org. Their not confining themselves to Texas anymore, are they? Now they're continent-wide. North American ... not just covering Texas (or what was it? Texarkla or somesuch). Striving for bigger is better. Next they'll start recruiting members from across NA to compete with the other biggies (BFRO, AIBR).

Second, I thought it was going to say, we've decided to drop the term "conservancy" because we're really not trying to conserve these creatures when we're out in the woods trying to KILL one!!!

Third, LOLOLOLO ... NAWAC ??? do they really want to be called that? Hey, I'm gonna nawac you if you don't shut up!!! Naaaa, you wack that woods ape, I'll wack this one.

Fourth, woods ape has been used over and over various places. It's not new, nor novel. Nor does it really describe the creature, which may be closer to human than ape ... but why should that bother them.

Fifth, "quixotic" is more aptly applied to how often the TBRC changes it's name, rather than "how language is used", although some of the people who promote themselves as woods ape hunters can indeed be quixotic, lol.

Sixth, "we feel that the needs of this amazing species are poorly served by the silly patina that has accreted over the term "Bigfoot." .." badly worded drivel. Yes, it's a stupid term coined by the media which stuck in the U.S., sad but true. Why so many American websites and groups adopted such a derogatory and silly name is still a head-scratcher for me. Good riddance to it. I'd be glad to see it go. However, I doubt that the big guys care at all what we call them, as long as we stay away from them and don't try to kill them.

Edited by Pat, Mar 18 2013, 11:58 AM.

Susan
Member Avatar
AKA "Fart Blossom"
[ *  *  * ]
Well said, Pat!

keilder
Member Avatar
Dreams of turnips and potatoes
[ *  *  * ]
That's pretty similiar to the sound I make when I'm really p*issed and speaking to god on the big white telephone.

NAWAC....ARRGHHHH, Ahhh oh god I'm never drinking again...NAWACCCCCC.....

Just Curious
Member Avatar
Curiosity Squared
[ *  *  * ]
I agree with you Pat. The one interesting thing about this is that bipto is the founder of NAWAC. I know he was part of TBRC, but if this is just a name change, how can he suddenly be the founder?

We're all missing the boat. Instead of Finding Bigfoot and whatever other entertainment is out there on TV, we should write the sitcom. It would be a fantastic hit comedy. Every few episodes would feature a new group splintering off to form a new group who has some beef with the previous group and every 9 out of 10 episodes would feature someone devising a hoax to fool one group or another. There is enough sauciness to get by. Slip a few jimisms in there and voila, a show as good as gold.

The really sad thing is that it would be based on factual events.

Bukwas
Member Avatar
Likes a drafty basement
[ *  *  * ]
How 'bout:

American

Ape

Research

Group
Edited by Bukwas, Mar 19 2013, 10:25 PM.

shaman
[ *  * ]
how bout forming a research group to study all the bigfoot/sasquatch/swamp ape/north american ape type groups?

Bukwas
Member Avatar
Likes a drafty basement
[ *  *  * ]
B.S.S.A.N.A.A.T.G.

Has a ring to it..
Edited by Bukwas, Mar 20 2013, 11:45 PM.

Just Curious
Member Avatar
Curiosity Squared
[ *  *  * ]
I think A.A.R.G. is perfect!!

Paulw
Member Avatar
Camo Junkie
[ *  *  * ]
Pat
Mar 18 2013, 11:57 AM
Uh ... yeah ... well it's their flavour of the month isn't it (or year), or every FEW years.

I see a few things going on here. FIRST, they're changing the whole name of their org. Their not confining themselves to Texas anymore, are they? Now they're continent-wide. North American ... not just covering Texas (or what was it? Texarkla or somesuch). Striving for bigger is better. Next they'll start recruiting members from across NA to compete with the other biggies (BFRO, AIBR).

Second, I thought it was going to say, we've decided to drop the term "conservancy" because we're really not trying to conserve these creatures when we're out in the woods trying to KILL one!!!

Third, LOLOLOLO ... NAWAC ??? do they really want to be called that? Hey, I'm gonna nawac you if you don't shut up!!! Naaaa, you wack that woods ape, I'll wack this one.

Fourth, woods ape has been used over and over various places. It's not new, nor novel. Nor does it really describe the creature, which may be closer to human than ape ... but why should that bother them.

Fifth, "quixotic" is more aptly applied to how often the TBRC changes it's name, rather than "how language is used", although some of the people who promote themselves as woods ape hunters can indeed be quixotic, lol.

Sixth, "we feel that the needs of this amazing species are poorly served by the silly patina that has accreted over the term "Bigfoot." .." badly worded drivel. Yes, it's a stupid term coined by the media which stuck in the U.S., sad but true. Why so many American websites and groups adopted such a derogatory and silly name is still a head-scratcher for me. Good riddance to it. I'd be glad to see it go. However, I doubt that the big guys care at all what we call them, as long as we stay away from them and don't try to kill them.

Great post Pat. In addition to that, if they can get the term "ape" used more widely then they may feel that their efforts to go out and SHOOT one, which last year nearly resulted in an accidental death(people seem to forget that), might be more palatable to the general public. I doubt that in reality that's the case(I don't think the general public is terribly accepting of bush meat hunting in Africa, for instance), but of course if these things are Hominids, which I've come to the personal conclusion they likely are...then going out and shooting one will of course simply not be on the table. The "new" tbrc may also be hoping that the name change allows them to distance themselves from the fallout of their terribly dangerous actions of last year.

Bukwas
Member Avatar
Likes a drafty basement
[ *  *  * ]
Were there any "corrective actions" done within the group after the events?

Just Curious
Member Avatar
Curiosity Squared
[ *  *  * ]
Well, now you can read all about it HERE

So far I've found reference to a wood ape (their lingo) being shot at, but no mention of the whole story.

I'll withhold further comment until I've finished reading the whole thing.

Just Curious
Member Avatar
Curiosity Squared
[ *  *  * ]
OK, as a voracious reader, it says something that it took me a month to read this 200 page monograph...

It was written to seem as though an impressive amount of circumstantial evidence was collected in the form of rock throws, whoops and chatter talk, partial and complete sightings, blood sample from the shooting incident, a hair sample, wood knocks, knocking on metal (corrugated sheds and machinery) and so on. Each individual type of incident is cataloged separate even if several things were part of one incident which makes it seem like more.

All-in-all, they think they're all that when it comes to their methods. They think they're the only ones being so scientific in what they're doing observing and trying to collect their specimen. I don't agree with that.

The most interesting event in the whole 200 pages was the night something reached in through the window (5 ft off the ground) and pushed and pulled on a sleeping person. (That's where the hair sample came from).

There is much within that could be attributed to other animals. There are a few events that most likely were their target species.

They seem to be taking a very non-invasive approach for a group supposedly hunting. It seems most times when they observe something they run back to the cabin rather than tracking. Someone in a blind was bluff charged by something and rather than standing their ground ready to shoot, they called for backup who came running and scared off whatever it was.

They may get purely lucky at some point and actually accomplish their task. I wish them luck in doing so.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Sasquatch Online · Next Topic »
Add Reply

PRINT theme created by tiptopolive of the Zetaboards Theme Zone