Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bigfoot Discussions. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
FLIR Add-On for I-Phone 5
Topic Started: Jan 9 2014, 07:27 AM (304 Views)
moregon
What'a Ham.
[ *  *  * ]
A LONG time ago I happened to come across a radio show starring a Kim Kommando which I found interesting. She's a Techie, and I was very impressed by what she did know in regards primarily about Computers and Electronics. I signed up for her Facebook Updates and get all kinds of great info regularly. THIS is one of those tidbits I hadn't heard of and find it pretty cool I haven't checked the price yet, but since I don't own an I-Phone I have no reason at this time to purchase it, but I still find it interesting none-the-less.

Here's the Video on YouTube that she linked to in regards to the product. If it's less expensive than their stand-alone products I would definitely be in the market for one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kJvi5ux5h0
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

keilder
Member Avatar
Dreams of turnips and potatoes
[ *  *  * ]
A couple of sites I've looked at state a RRP of $350, like you I just need an IPhone.

I just hope its rugged, and waterproof or at least splash proof, but it does say 2 hours of use that also can be used as a battery bank for your IPhone.

FLIR within the reach of all bigfooters finally.....I like. :okay:

EDIT:

Specs and whatnots.
Edited by keilder, Jan 9 2014, 10:12 AM.

Hikergirl
Member Avatar
Cheeky
[ *  *  * ]
I heard about this and looked into it. The problem as I see it is battery life and the fact that you illuminate your whole face when you have it in FLIR unless you want a bag over your head. You might as well shine a light on your face. In my case I do so little night work that even the lower cost compared with other FLIR systems that can record an image just do not justify having it. The Scout and other more expensive systems have a eyepiece cover that prevent light from showing.

Stacy
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
*sigh* Every year, I think "This is the year we get a thermal," and every year other stuff comes up. This year it's paying for a new roof, and taking a trip to Florida for our middle son's graduation, and then probably at least Dad taking another trip to see him graduate boot camp. Dang it!!

I always thought I wanted the hand-held kind, because that way more than one person can see it, and if it doesn't have a built-in video recorder, someone can point a regular video cam at it if anything needs recording. BUT, I'm finding that for some reason, most of the hand-helds, unless you're going way high in price, have a built in still camera but not built in video. Plus, I never though about that screen lighting everyone up, but then again at our location, if they're there, then they know we're there. But our buddy Nathaniel (NathanFooter here) has a monocular thermal, and that DOES take video. So I'm torn and I don't know now we'll make the decision when the time comes lol....

Hikergirl
Member Avatar
Cheeky
[ *  *  * ]
I have always had the suspicion because of trail cam lack of success that BF see well into the infrared. If that is true, anything that has an IR illuminator is like shining a flashlight at the bigfoot. They don't like that. You can turn off the illuminator but that really shortens their range. There are passive systems that use star and moonlight amplification that are capable of very high resolution photo's that put thermal images to shame. FLIR better than 320 pixel resolution is very expensive. Light amplification images are capable of near HD quality. But the problem there is that you are in the range of nearly $7000 the last time I priced them. There is another lower cost solution. Astromonical cameras that are designed to be attached to telescopes are also very light sensitive. They are electronic and output to a computer. Not only that but you can set them up to take images at intervals. It is called stacking in astronomy. Because the atmosphere is unstable, and stars and planets twinkle, if you stack multiple images on each other you can get better images than a single image. For bigfoot research, just point it at the woods, and let it take images at intervals. Then by running through the images like you would a movie, you could see anything moving in the wood line. Even a peeking bigfoot would stand out. While you can get into these cameras for under 200, higher resolution ones are 400 to 600. A telescope is about the same. But the potential is there for less than 1000 to be able to get HD quality images at night. FLIR simply cannot do that. But because of the need to have a computer, and the lack of portability of a telescope, you are limited to static camping type situations. It is not something you can carry around very far at night.

Stacy
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
That actually could work very well in our situation. I'm gonna have to get my more technologically-gifted friends to check that out! :)

Hikergirl
Member Avatar
Cheeky
[ *  *  * ]
I was looking at a Celestron C-90 spotting scope with one of the electronic low light cameras. The C-90 can be gotten for just over 200 but you need a tripod. You take out the viewing lens and insert the camera into the lens tube. Most of the cameras come with software to control it. I think you could just set up on a ridge, overlooking an active BF area on a night were there is moonlight, and probably get some good pictures of anything moving.

Can also get nice pictures of the moon too when you are home.
Edited by Hikergirl, Jan 20 2015, 11:51 AM.

Hikergirl
Member Avatar
Cheeky
[ *  *  * ]
I tried to change my avatar picture and cannot do it. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. The error message no matter how small the picture is that the file is too large. Anyone know what I might be dong wrong. I did not have any problems with my previous avatar.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Technology and Tools · Next Topic »
Add Reply

PRINT theme created by tiptopolive of the Zetaboards Theme Zone