Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bigfoot Discussions. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The How And Why; What brought you into the bigfoot community and what are your goals.
Topic Started: Jan 14 2014, 09:47 PM (605 Views)
NathanFooter
[ * ]
What got you interested in all things Bigfoot and what is your involvement in the subject ? To go deeper yet, what are your goals in this subject and what drives you to achieve them ?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stacy
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
I was a pre- and early teen when the bigfoot craze first hit in the mid-70s. The first time I ever really remember anything resonating with me was the first time the commercial for the docu-drama... oh heck, I don't even remember what it was called now! Anyway the commercial included a howl/scream, and I swear when I heard that, I had to cover my ears. From then on, anytime the commercial came on I'd have to rush to the TV (back in the olden days when remote controls didn't exist) and change the channel or turn the volume all the way down. Something about that scream hit me on a primal level and chilled me to the bone, and it just struck me as real. From there I'd watch everything I could find on TV, from the In Search Of series to Boggy Creek reruns, etc. Eventually the craze died down, but bigfoot remained my boogie man.

Fast forward a couple of decades to when I got my first computer and got online. On a whim one day, out of the blue I wondered if people were still reporting seeing this thing, not really thinking there was anything to it. Once I saw there was a whole plethora of activity being reported and found a couple of good discussion forums, that was it for me... it's been an obsession ever since. I met everyone I camp with that way, they're some of my best friends, and I even married one of them. :) Fate and the perfect combination of events led to us being where we've been for almost a decade.

I don't have an end-goal. I just want the activity to continue, to see what happens next, to get a GOOD daytime look at one, keep getting awesome audio, and hopefully eventually get pics or video good enough to really see some detail, especially in the face. The plan for all of us is not to prove anything to anyone or make our findings public, although we'll continue to share some things privately.

Bukwas
Member Avatar
Likes a drafty basement
[ *  *  * ]
The Legend of Bukwas :scratch:
I was 6 years old and a show called "The Mysterious Monsters" came on TV, one half was the Loch Ness monster and the other half was bigfoot. The Loch Ness part didn't phase me but the bigfoot part absolutely terrified me. My fear turned to curiosity, I started reading children's books which eventually led to the "Four Horseman" books, John Green, Dr. Grover Krantz, Rene Dahinden and Peter Byrne. I think I've read them all, at least once.
Curiosity became almost an obsession, using one of John Green's books as a resource I was able to go through microfiche files at a local university and get names from local sightings in the middle Tennessee area and I was able to interview surviving eyewitness accounts. I was only 17 at the time. Since then I have filled my grey matter with all kinds of information, the useless and the not so useless.
Years later I discovered a website that discussed all things bigfoot and I met a small group of people who shared the same ideas as me. This group formed their own website called the BFD and I consider them all dear friends. Even Keilder..
Back in 2002 I heard over a course of 3 nights a howling I can't identify but they sounded almost like the recordings from Ohio. That drove me to want to have a closer experience for myself. I have no interest to discover for science or monetary gain, I just want to know for myself. :D

Edited by Bukwas, Jan 14 2014, 11:39 PM.

NathanFooter
[ * ]
I am Nathaniel York Bronis and I am a sasquatch researcher and report investigator from central Michigan, I had a class A daylight sighting in 2009 at close range and I have had experiences/encounters since then most of witch have been nocturnal. I am now 20 years old { young I know :D } and because of my sighting have been instilled to learn more about thier behavior, habits and social structure.

My sighting was a life changing experience and it has molded me into the driven and proactive individual I am today { some might even add obsessed, goofy and 70 pounds lighter to that last line }, before my sighting I was a young kid with no motivations or goals of any kind. I sat around playing video games, eating and feeling down most of the time.

Bigfoot never really was a consideration or interest before and I had always thought it most likely was a story told by Native American elders to keep the children near the fire. I thought it would be cool if bigfoot was real thing but it never stood as something really out there to me. Then in 09 the most unlikely reality stepped out and flipped my world upside down.

I started out in true field work by attending a couple of BFRO expeditions, this was to build base of principles and guidelines on witch to construct my own methodology and field routines. I soon after modeled the foundations for my research as well as my long term goals. I have been doing my own feild research for about 3 years now and have taken this beyond a hobby or casual interest and as silly as it sounds I would like to one day be part of a scientific research project on thier behavior, social habits and way of life in the professional sense.

This is my passion not just a neat thing to do, every moment in the field, every experience and every glance of nature in it's purest form is part of me.

This probably sounds tacky and treehuggerish but it is true so laugh if you want LOL :D .

I am NO KILL and am just working on collecting information to better my research efforts, I am mainely aiming at understanding them through documentation and interaction more so than proving the spieces existance but collecting evidence and video footage is important to me as well just to aid even a little in the scientific realization of the species.

My side goals include discovery and protection of the species and the lands they inhabit.

I do my own private research efforts witch are completely funded by me at this point with the over all goal of building a deeper understanding of the North American Sasquatch.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. ,,,Nathan.

Bukwas
Member Avatar
Likes a drafty basement
[ *  *  * ]
Hmmm..

Impressive this one is.

;)

Oooooh, I think Susan is typing!
Edited by Bukwas, Jan 14 2014, 11:55 PM.

Susan
Member Avatar
AKA "Fart Blossom"
[ *  *  * ]
Welcome, Nathan!

Awwww, Buk..... :wub: The feeling is mutual....

While I'm not one of Stacy's camping buddies (I wish!) I do consider her a dear friend and we chat often even though we've never met in person!

Growing up in WA state, Sasquatch has always been in the culture and I was always intrigued by the In Search Of series (half of it was probably Leonard Nimoy's awesome voice). There were a few local shows dedicated to the subject too, I think one was called NW Passages or something like that. I forgot about the subject for awhile and then with the advent of the internet, I went looking for the subject in about 2003 and found a few websites dedicated to the subject. Made friends with several on a particular message board, we chatted a lot in the chat room and soon our friendships became more than just Sasquatch. Many of us split off a few years ago into our own board and remain friends to this day.

I don't actively pursue the subject like I used to (online only) but live vicariously through friends on this board and love hearing about the results and research they have/do.

It's been over a decade, boys and girls, can you believe it? :blink:

Just Curious
Member Avatar
Curiosity Squared
[ *  *  * ]
Welcome 'over here' Nathan. I checked two books out of the local library in 1972, one on bigfoot sightings and the other on UFO/alien sightings. I decided the bigfoot sightings were more likely true. I'm still hoping to one day find one. I don't really know what I'd do after that because it would depend on whether it was a chance circumstance or a situation where I knew I'd have repeat encounters.

keilder
Member Avatar
Dreams of turnips and potatoes
[ *  *  * ]
I'm not sure the hows or whys. too many unrelated things over the years just led me here. Things as a child, things alone while out hiking, things with my kids.

I think the turning point if I had to pick one, was late at night coming back with the kids....I really went to town looking after that, and found to this day, still nothing.

If that had occured in the US it would have probably had all the hallmarks of a perfect sighting, but it was the UK...I think it's on here somewhere.

Linky

Goals little these days, just a place to chill and have a laugh from time to time, as it just seems to absurd at times to accept.

Doberman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I just want to know.

reedyzined
[ * ]
I happened to watch a Monster Quest episode on Youtube about a year ago and it was about Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster.

Until that point I'd not given it any thought, though when I saw the PGF segemtn I recalled having seen it on Arthur C Clarke's tv show when I was a kid.

As a kid, I did not questions the existence of Bigfoot.

After seeing the documentary last year I became increasingly obsessed with it.

It looked so real but at the same time, it didn't. I was completely unprepared for the vast and mind bending amount of debate and information available on the subject until I started Googling things.

Since then I've bought countless books and been in touch with a lot of researchers personally. I bought some replica Patty casts from Jeff Meldrum (since I considered him to be the lowest hoax risk) and I am now awaiting an appointment with a footprint expert in Liverpool to review the casts (after having a lot of other experts tell me that "the photos are enough thanks, and by the way they are totally fake" - though I don't see how they can draw that conclusion from a photo alone)

I then began to start work on my own book (unfinished as yet) which has a section about the british press and how they have reported on Bigfoot over the years as well as a section where I interview a group of British people (I am from the UK - hence the British viewpoint) asking their opinion on the creature's existence. (They mostly think its a big joke by the way - but they are also mostly grossly uninformed)

Right now I've got to the stage where I am predictably disappointed by "bigfoot news" every day.

My view is that there MUST be some kind of creature like Bigfoot - but the chances of that being an accepted fact of life have been greatly damaged by the lunatic fringe and hoaxers.

keilder
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Don't feel strange I done the same back then, never a foot print cast though, as for a foot print expert - I ain't going there, dermal ridges all over again!

But I bought books and had a thing for DVD's, still do too be honest though I don't pay anymore ;) and contacted a few groups (over here UK) and found 'ALL' to be arseholes so worked alone until a few years back where I just had enough.

Theres an old saying amongst us hikers! Hike your own hike.....

Word to the wise my friend, work alone.

moregon
What'a Ham.
[ *  *  * ]
I think I've been on Facebook too long, every time I read something good I look for the "LIKE" button to push, Excellent post Keilder. I've had the same experience with a few local groups and/or individuals focused on other areas of interest. Eventually you will find a group of like minded individuals you will feel comfortable with. Most likely they won't be members of an established group, but like you they will be individuals looking for answers.

I was working at our family's grocery store in January 1968 when the February issue of "Argosy" magazine showed up on the newsrack, with the now famous article written by Ivan T. Sanderson. I grabbed it while on my lunch hour and devoured my lunch and the article at the same time. At that time I was already convinced of several other non-mainstream science topics, and of course that made me question if this had something to it. After all these years, all the books, videos, articles, talking to those who have had first hand experiences, I still don't know for sure. I have insufficent data to call support for either side, pro or con regarding the existence of bigfoot. I many never reach that decision before I see a sign that says "The End" flash across my vision, but until then I will never give up the hunt in one way or another.

keilder
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
There's a story or a fable or lore, it depends on how you wish to view it. Robert the Bruce took shelter in a cave and watched a spider spin it webs and fail, and start again an fail etc, it's that, that give him what he needed to continue on to fight the English.

If you 'Really' believe in something, don't give up. I have and just like to chill here as I like and respect the people.

But if it's your own time, your own money and you are not harming anybody. Never let anybody stop you. :okay:

Jim Flowers
TBA
[ *  *  * ]
I'm With , Sam. Hard not to just press a "like" button these days.
I Thought I saw one when I was 8. Just a large dark bipedal shadow in the apple orchard behind my grandmothers house. Within the week there were multiple reports in the local paper, including (if I recall correctly) pictures of some footprints found on a nearby riverbank.
Kind of on and off went bigfooting since then. Some successes and some setbacks to varying degrees, in SW and south central Mi. Read everything I could on the subject from news clippings to books on the subject.
Joined the U.S. Navy and on again off again kept up the hunt , particularly when I was stationed in the SF/Oakland bay area and had access to even more info on the subject and access to a lot of areas in the Oakland hills and some of northern Ca.
Ended my term of service and continued collecting reports in SW Mi. and found the web around 1995 or so and of course big as life BF sites were starting to pop up.
Moved to Fl. in the early parts of 2000 and saw many names I recognize today on sites such as George Karras' forum and the Kiamichi Bigfoot board (though for a long time I posted anonymously). In 2002 BFF, the first version came about and I decided what the heck and jumped into it full bore. Made more friends than I can count including a wife,( and more than my share of "enemies" ;) )
Eventually ended up back in Mi. And in our current area since Oct. of '05. Have had the privilege of finally seeing one through night-vision twice thanks to it. And have continued with a good many friendships started on-line in person these days.
Started my own BF research group at one point but tried a democratic approach to it, and found that you cannot "lead" a large group of people to bigfoot and have them do anything for themselves. B) (The few were carrying the many, in other words).
Have pretty much backed off of everything internet related since, and limited my interest in the subject since my end goal was to know for myself whether they existed or not. Now I just go bigfooting to be with friends and hopefully be of some use around camp, or another set of eyes/ears for verification purposes. And there you have it in a nutshell.
The very abridged version of "My life with Bigfoot." :lol:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

PRINT theme created by tiptopolive of the Zetaboards Theme Zone