Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bigfoot Discussions. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Bigfoot Correlations; Exploring any correlation between the time spent in Bigfoot habitat and degree of confidence in Bigfoot's existence
Topic Started: Mar 10 2015, 02:39 AM (392 Views)
cerulean
[ * ]
Hey guys,

I apologize if this is a little long. To get to the meat of my post scroll down about half way to the bold words.

I'm new to this whole forum posting thing so I kinda feel like I should introduce myself. I live in the city in Southern CA and so never had an official Bigfoot encounter although, now that I think about it, I very well may have been watched by one in Big Bear, CA as I was walking a dog solo at dusk. Talk about an uneasy feeling. After reading about the various "Missing 411" books and listening to some of those interviews, I'm starting to think maybe I should be thankful that I was only being watched instead of watched, snatched, and munched.

Since I'm not a Bigfoot or a wild animal expert, I always feel like I don't have anything of real value to contribute, and I usually find myself on the sidelines just reading around here and there, occasionally not getting any sleep (especially if I stare at that big angry looking guy at the top for too long.)

But all that's about to change thanks to a Psych 1 class at my local community college. I always knew school was a good thing.

We just finished our introduction to science and research, and now have our own little research assignment on correlations to conduct. And so, in the name of science, I'm collecting data from at least 10 people on a correlation of my choice. It has to be something I'm interested in, so naturally I picked Bigfoot. And since I would like legitimate data instead of, say, inappropriate pictures and trolls, here I am (as opposed to Craigslist, YouTube, and the like.)

The question I'd like to explore: Is there a correlation between the number of hours a person spends in the wilderness doing whatever (hiking, camping, hunting, Bigfoot research, skiing, etc.) and their degree of confidence in Bigfoot's existence or nonexistence?

If this sounds interesting to you and you'd like to participate I just need you to answer two questions (no need for justifications, explanations, etc. unless you really want to include those. I'm more interested in the numbers as a whole.):

• How many hours do you spend in the wilderness on average a month? (Doing whatever.) Your best approximation is fine. I'm not going for a publication in Science or anything.

• How confident are you that Bigfoot exists or doesn't exist on a scale of 1 to 10?
    1 being you are completely positive Bigfoot doesn't exist (0% chance Bigfoot exists)
    5 being you are neutral on the subject (50/50 chance Bigfoot exists)
    10 being you are completely positive Bigfoot exists (100% Bigfoot exists)

What I'm gonna do with the numbers: I'll take these two numbers from each person and create a data point on a graph. Once I'm done graphing all the points, I can determine if there is any correlation associated between time spent in Bigfoot habitat and confidence in Bigfoot or not.

I will not be collecting any personal information such as real names, user names, email, gender, etc. or spamming anybody. This is a strictly confidential graph I'm creating. I'm here to learn, not to annoy.

Thank you all in advance for participating! I'm looking forward to creating this graph!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cerulean
[ * ]
I'll go first.

Hours spent in wilderness a month: 10

Confidence in Bigfoot: 6.5

Stacy
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

Since I'm not a Bigfoot or a wild animal expert, I always feel like I don't have anything of real value to contribute, and I usually find myself on the sidelines just reading around here and there, occasionally not getting any sleep (especially if I stare at that big angry looking guy at the top for too long.)

But that's now most people start out, so don't worry about that. ;) And welcome!!

OK, I'll go. We don't get out (except for the occasional night drive in the dead of winter) generally between November and March. Once in awhile one of our group will go up in November, and once in a GREAT while in March, if there's an unusually warm weekend...typically though, once gun season starts it goes dead, and March is usually still just too cold, wet, and soggy. Speaking for myself specifically, I'll take a guestimate at monthly hours between April and October:

Average Monthly Hours - 76
Confidence in Existence - 10

Earlier and later months might be only a weekend each, with most time out peaking in July and August when we're up more and usually include a full week+ out there.

I've worked the topic into conversation with a lot of people over the years, and I find that "city folk" are MUCH more prone to scoff at the notion of it, but hunters, hikers, campers, etc. have a much greater understanding of the woods and are way more open-minded to the fact. Also got a few reports that way.

I'm anxious to see your results!

Hikergirl
Member Avatar
Cheeky
[ *  *  * ]
Being a scientist I will contribute. In the good weather months I spend 60 hours a month in the woods. This year that was much of the winter. My level of confidence in existence is 10.

I am not sure how much correlation there is. Too many other variables. Location is a primary variable. Some places bigfoot are so rare that you might spend your entire life in the woods and not see one. Certainly most skeptics do not spend any time in the woods looking for something they "know" does not exist. So logically they never see them. And someone who goes into the woods very infrequently probably does not get far enough in, often enough to have much chance of encounter.

Other variables I can think of are: Familiarity with normal woodland creatures, how aware you are of your surroundings, how good your vision and hearing is, how you behave in the woods, and the activities you are doing when you are there. Some things we do are interesting to them, other things like shooting will drive them away. But even at that, hunters are more likely than most people to see bigfoot because hunters spend the time in the woods and get off trail where an encounter is more likely.

Given my own history, and how much field work I do, I still feel very lucky to have had the encounter experiences I have had. I live in one of the most active bigfoot areas in the country and yet feel an encounter is extremely rare event. They are many many times better at avoiding us than we are at locating them.
Edited by Hikergirl, Mar 20 2015, 05:17 PM.

cerulean
[ * ]
Thanks for the responses guys!

Based on the various sources I surveyed, I don't think the data really shows any type of correlation. Also, in my opinion, my sample size wasn't large enough but then again we weren't required to survey more than 10 people. As Hikergirl mentioned there are way too many variables, and living in the Los Angeles area where Bigfoot habitat is scarce, it seems like everybody around here is a skeptic (at least in my circle). Kinda takes the fun out of it to be honest.

But, despite that, this was a fun exercise in correlational studies. Obviously there are many potential flaws associated with such studies and it's really helpful seeing that first hand.

Btw if anyone's interested, I'm attaching (or at least tried to attach) my graph.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Bigfoot_Data.xlsx (12.06 KB)

Stacy
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
I can't get it to open up, but your summary will suffice.

Sorry you didn't get more responses here but we're small and pretty quiet. :) Did you get a good grade?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Fieldwork and Research · Next Topic »
Add Reply

PRINT theme created by tiptopolive of the Zetaboards Theme Zone