Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Crypto. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Exhibit 2 Cracking Strategies and Info
Topic Started: Dec 15 2010, 05:25 PM (744 Views)
bruce
Just registered
[ * ]
Using the same strategy mentioned in another thread, I wrote a crack that works to discover the alphabets for exhibits 1 and 4, given the plaintexts and ciphertexts. (I'll post the code to http://jgenere.googlecode.com shortly.) As others have mentioned, this same strategy doesn't appear to work for cracking Exhibit 2, possibly because Exhibit 2 wasn't enciphered using the "normal" operation of Chaocipher, as was used for Exhibits 1 and 4.

What's known or speculated about cracking Exhibit 2? Has anyone posted about it, yet?

----

How I tried to crack Exhibit 2:

Following the steps Moshe outlined in the thread linked above, since the plaintext doesn't contain the letters K or Z, I simply used segments where the ciphertext used the entire A-Z alphabet, and the plaintext used the entire alphabet without K or Z. There are 2 such segments with 5 holes each, and 21 segments with 6 holes each. (There are no segments with less than 5 holes.) When running the crack, instead of starting with completely blank alphabets, I started with K and Z inserted into the right plaintext alphabet in every possible combination of positions.

Unless my thinking is wrong or if my code has a bug, if Exhibit 2 were enciphered using Chaocipher in the same fashion as was used for Exhibits 1 and 4, then the alphabets should have been discovered following these steps, but they weren't.

How are others approaching this?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bruce
Just registered
[ * ]
Also, I tried switching the translations. That is, I tried cracking it as if the ciphertext could encipher to the plaintext, and the plaintext could decipher to the ciphertext.

Another obvious alternative use of Chaocipher I'll try to crack for is repeated enciphering of the message. For this, I can think of two simple paths to explore: 1. encipher(encipher(plaintext)); and 2. encipher(plaintext), then use the resulting alphabets to encipher(plaintext), again. (There are other more complex repeated enciphering paths.)

james
Elite member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I suppose a possible variation in Exhibit 2 compared with Exhibits 1 and 4 is that the distance from Zenith to Nadir is different, in either or both wheels;

bruce
Just registered
[ * ]
I finally posted the crack I mentioned above to http://jgenere.googlecode.com. The code is included in JGenere Chaocipher v0.1.5a r2011.0503.

Shortly after my previous post in December, the motherboard of the computer I was using for working on this fried, and then I was very busy for months with work. Today, I finally recovered the project files from the old HDD. (I now use SpiderOak for automatic and secure cloud storage back ups.)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Chaocipher · Next Topic »
Add Reply