Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Destine Enormity
People who need to post today (4/20):
Happy Easter!
Photobucket
Day In, Day Out; Let's see how badly we can ruin Ant's routine~!
Topic Started: Jul 17 2011, 07:16 PM (684 Views)
clockwork-industries
Member Avatar
Foxylass
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Cafe opened at eight thirty every morning on the dot. But before that, preparations had to be made. Antoinette awoke at five in the morning to put the bread in the oven and bake fresh sweets. It was really more of a bakery that sold sandwiches and beverages along with other handmade treats. It wasn't what one would call "popular" but it made enough profit to keep the bills paid off. And the fact that it was slightly obscure made it the perfect place to host the Messiah Complex and it's charismatic leader.

The goods baking, Ant then set up the tables, wiping them off, making sure they were fully stocked, and setting up the chairs just so. At seven, her three waitresses would arrive, all graduates from SIN academy. Amber Dawdle who could temporarily bring her painted creations to life arrived first, looking rather sleepy. Shauna Shroom, who could withstand any sort of poison, was next, smiling calmly. Last was Chloe Purin who could temporarily bring stuffed animals to life to fight for her. She was always a bit late, due to an overnight fling with her latest beau.

Ant would half-listen to her latest excuse then assign all three their jobs for the day. Amber would assist her in the kitchen, the other two would serve people at the counter. That settled, Ant would then enter the secret basement pathway and leave Aidric his breakfast on the table. Today was ham and eggs with wheat toast and orange juice. And a doughnut, though when asked, would insist Chloe added it at the last minute.

Finally, at eight thirty when the usual customers were lined up at the door, she would flip the sign then return to the kitchen. Every morning the same for the last nine years. She sighed to herself, but doubted anything new would disrupt her schedule. Until today.

(Cafe is now open~! Feel free to post~!! And sorry for the wall of text...)
Launcher of 1000 ships!! >8D
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hexiva
Friendly Neighborhood Cuttlefish
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Valentine Svarc, in his usual form, strolled into the Cafe Richard. The place where he usually took his breakfast had closed, and, being a man of habit, he'd found another business close enough to the other.

This Cafe seemed clean and respectable; it lacked both obvious hygiene violations and the shady look of several of the businesses he'd walked past.

He ordered a sandwich and sat down to eat, watching the waitresses and passers-by with detached interest.

Digitaldreamer
Going slightly mad, but only on Tuesdays.
Aidric woke as he usually did, to the sound of footsteps above him and the smell of baking wafting through the basement. His bright blue eyes opened slowly and the man let out a groan at this, promptly rolling over and pulling a somewhat battered, graying pillow over his face. Regardless of his usual energy levels, mornings had never been his strong point, and this was illustrated rather fantastically in the way he essentially borrowed into the ancient sheets.

Of course, then came the smell of breakfast.

The brunet finally rose his head, hair going every which way as he blinked and stared across the room. His face then broke into a grin and he finally leaped off of the bed, bare feet padding across the bits of carpet Ant had placed on the aging concrete floor. He left his "corner" in its standard state of disarray, sheets, clothes, and various nicknacks creating an impressive amount of clutter for such a small spot.

Aidric weaved out of the boxes that had been stacked to hide his corner from view and padded into the main area, flopping onto an old chair and ignoring the way it creaked. The chairs around the large table at the center of the Messiah Complex base didn't match and were all in various states of disrepair, but he would have refused a better table set even if it had been offered. After all, this one had memories, and these were only echoed by the various nicknacks all throughout the room. Even with the various plans that covered the walls, the old pinball machine, leaking bean bag chairs, television and the ancient computer made the Messiah Complex base feel like home.

The leader proceeded to wolf down his food with obvious relish, saving the donut for last. Ant was a fabulous cook but baked goods were her specialty, and the brunet valued them highly. Of course, he was done with the food in seconds, so last wasn't terribly long.

"Huh, chocolate," Aidric commented absently as he held up the donut, then took a huge bite. "Must've done something right."

With that thought in mind the leader rose from his seat and briefly pondered the small set of stairs. The base was hidden by a wall and numbers of boxed goods that separated it from the rest of the basement, but these stairs were hidden, opening up into the alleyway behind the cafe. There was also a ladder that lead to a trap door, which opened into the kitchen area. He considered taking that, then considered otherwise. The cafe was already open, he'd have to check who was there first. No sense in blowing everyone's cover just for a chance to say good morning.

...So he'd have to check first.

Face bursting into a grin again, Aidric shoved the donut into his mouth and rushed back over to his corner. Within seconds he'd pulled on his boots and coat and was out the door, bursting out into the morning air. The brunet took a deep breath, reveling in mildly disgusting city smell, then absently knelt down to adjust his decidedly undone boots. This task done the brunet finally made it over to the small window and crouched down, peeking his head over the windowsill so he could peer into Cafe Richard.

There were the usuals, the standard businessmen enjoying their coffee over the paper, the well-to-do Normals who could get away with entering a cafe this close to the slums. The waitresses and Ant herself seemed quite busy, already taking orders and working behind the counter. Things seemed fairly normal and the leader was tempted to just pop into the kitchen-- he was still somewhat hungry, after all...

...But then someone new caught his eye.

Aidric blinked in surprise as he focused on the new person, frowning. That was odd. Cafe Richard was somewhat out of the way and new people were surprisingly rare-- it had enough of a usual clientele to stay afloat, but usually if there was someone new it was because Noah had brought him someone new. This was just odd, and it was with that thought that he settled down to watch the newcomer.

Well, his morning had just gotten more interesting, hadn't it?
Signature, yeah.

clockwork-industries
Member Avatar
Foxylass
Antoinette continued her daily routine, pulling out the rest of the bread from the oven and putting in the next batch. She decorated the cupcakes with handmade frosting and placed them on a tray. Today was red velvet cupcakes, a local favorite. As she placed the sweets in the display, she noticed, with a bit of surprise someone new. Chloe giggled and pointed to him, winking at Ant.

"Cute, right~? You should go say hello~ I'm sure he'd appreciate it~" Ant gave her employee a flat look then returned to the kitchen. Great, that little distraction had set her back by three seconds. She'd have to work fast to make up time. Luckily Amber, thinking ahead, had placed the scones on the cooling rack right on time.

"Amber, stay back here in the kitchen. And Aidric should be awake by now, so if he comes looking for food, don't give him any. Got it?" Amber nodded then returned to her work as well, icing the second batch of cinnamon rolls. Ant took the first batch out to the displays. Chloe was still giggling over the new customer. The brunette rolled her eyes only for them to widen. She could see Aidric peering in through a window. Making sure no one else noticed, she motioned for him to get down.

There was no telling who this new guy was!! He could be an Elite! Or worse, a Wiseman!! She doubted he was either but you could never be too careful in this city.

Hexiva
It occurred to Valentine that he seemed to be attracting some undue attention; there was an air of surprise, if nothing else, at his presence. He smiled at the giggling waitress and the other woman, the one putting out the baked goods.

"Guess you don't get many new customers?" he commented, to the brunette and the waitress, when he got up to grab some paper napkins.

He was pretty sure they recognized him. He wasn't that well-known, but it wasn't inconceivable that someone in the cafe recognized him and had passed it around. Even the innocent were afraid of the Elite.

On the other hand, so were the guilty, and you didn't get far in the Elite by not being paranoid.

clockwork-industries
Member Avatar
Foxylass
Chloe smiled at the man, winking a bit. She was a very curvy young woman and a social butterfly. "You have no idea~ I'm Chloe~ And this lovely, intelligent, hardworking, single young woman is Miss Antoinette Richard~ The owner of this establishment. So then, handsome, what's you're name~?" It was no secret that Chloe was constantly trying to set Ant up with any of the men that entered the cafe. She was a bit too much of a busybody for her own good.

Ant hurriedly looked away from the window, praying Aidric would go unnoticed by the newcomer. She gave Valentine a flat, uninterested look but remained polite since he was a paying customer. "Welcome sir. If there's anything you need, please let me know right away." With that, she went back to stacking the fresh desserts. She forced herself not to look out the window, for safety's sake.
Edited by clockwork-industries, Jul 18 2011, 05:29 PM.

Hexiva
Valentine nodded to Antoinette and smiled broadly at Chloe, leaning against the counter. "I'm Val. It's nice to meet you - and your friend too, of course. Although she seems to be in a bit of a hurry." He glanced after Antoinette. "Busy day today?"

He caught a glimpse of something at the window, and turned further to peer out.

Digitaldreamer
Going slightly mad, but only on Tuesdays.
Aidric dropped down the instant Valentine turned toward the window, though he was seething as he dropped down to the pavement. "Damnit Chloe," he grumbled as he gnawed absently at one of his frayed gloves. Even if he couldn't hear everything through the glass, he knew the 'hello boy, Ant is single' look and it drove him nuts. Especially given the man in question-- he looked like one of those suave European guys from a generic romance novel.

Not that Aidric would have any experience with that or anything.

At any rate, he recognized the situation, and the man had such an air about him that there was no question about it: something had to be done.

It was with this in mind that the leader abruptly ducked back into the hidden stairwell and into the basement, coat fluttering behind him.
Edited by Digitaldreamer, Jul 19 2011, 08:31 AM.
Signature, yeah.

clockwork-industries
Member Avatar
Foxylass
Ant froze when she saw he was looking out the window. She turned quickly but it seemed that Aidric had already left. "Ah, y-yes....and don't mind the birds out there. Always looking for bread those things." She looked back and, with all the effort she could muster, forced a slightly strained smile. "Now, if there's....anything I can help you with? Anything at all? There are more customers coming in and you're blocking part of the counter, sir...." Nervously she tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear. If this man, whoever he was, had seen Aidric they could have gotten into big trouble.

Chloe waved a hand dismissively, laughing. "Don't mind her, she just likes to play hard to get~ You can stay here as long as you like, handsome~ Now then I have to go help Amber with the scones right~?" With that, the gossipy girl made her quick exit into the kitchen.

Antoinette twitched slightly. "R-right......" Inwardly, she sighed. She knew she had several.....admirers already. She fit most of the society's notion of beauty. Still, she had no interest in dating anyone at the moment, mostly because looking after Aidric and the MC was a full-time job. She often considered firing Chloe, but the girl was still a hard worker. She only hoped Aidric hadn't seen....he tended to be rather possessive when Chloe was pulling her usual antics.

The wind manipulator looked at the clock. She was now a full ten minutes behind schedule. Perfect.

LymanAlpha
Member Avatar
A man of wealth and taste
Gabriel appeared in the doorway of the cafe and filled it up, casting a shadow onto a few patrons sitting near the door. The peculiar smell of singed air followed behind him, causing a few more people to look at him. His expression was stern as always as he looked over the place with little more than a low grumble. He half expected a hush to fall over the crowd as they began to notice the armband that marked him as one of 'them' or the Elite, an organization that garnered much fear. He shrugged it all off in stride and walked up to the counter.

"Good morning Antoinette. I'll have a bear claw and a coffee please." He looked around for any suspicious activity given that this place was so close to the Slums. All he got in return were glares dripping with animosity. A toothy smile appeared on his face. All in a day's work.
I am your savior, I am corruption, I am the angel of your destruction. I am perversion, secret desires, I am your future swallowed up in fire. I'm gonna burn this whole world down.

Hexiva
Valentine nodded as Chloe turned away, and his smile - toothy as well, but not apparently malicious or false - widened as he saw Gabriel. "Briel!" he said, cheerfully, slapping his friend, or at least currently nonthreatening enemy, on the back. "I didn't know you went here! You should've said. The usual place I take my breakfast at shut down abruptly, and I came here - It's a nice little place, although they don't seem to get many new customers. Looks like you've caused a bit of a stir. Do you come here often?"

LymanAlpha
Member Avatar
Gabriel heard his nickname being called and turned to face the man who just slapped his back with a strained smile. "Val! How good it is to see you." He looked back over to the counter to see what was taking Ant so long. "Normally I wouldn't say this, but you're lucky that place shut down because this place has the best pastry in all of Arcadia. I practically eat here every morning. A shame it doesn't get more business, but most people would never find themselves this close to the Slums." Looks around the place, still getting glares. "Yeah....comes with the job Val."
I am your savior, I am corruption, I am the angel of your destruction. I am perversion, secret desires, I am your future swallowed up in fire. I'm gonna burn this whole world down.

Hexiva
"Does it?" Valentine glanced around the room, apparently oblivious. "I've never noticed. But I guess I'm just not as recognizable as you are. Do you always wear the - ?" He gestured to his arm, where the red armband usually rested, and then shrugged without giving Briel time to answer. "I mean, we're here for breakfast, not for an arrest." He didn't give voice to his vague suspicions; this was more likely to be the tail-end of some complicated romantic entanglement than it was anything deserving of his interest, and even if it wasn't, the last person he'd tell was Gabriel Lazriel.

LymanAlpha
Member Avatar
Gabriel looked to his armband and shrugged. "You know I don't care what others think Val, so yes, I always wear the armband. Besides, they should know by now that I'm not here to cause trouble. I'm here for pastries...sweet pastries." He looked back to the counter again. Where was that woman? "We're not that different, you and I. I just choose to be more...blatant about it." He smirked slightly, returning his 'friends' slap on the back. "But everyone knows my story. However, I'm here for breakfast and not politics."

Hexiva
For a second, when Gabriel compared them, Valentine twitched just a bit. He was nothing like Gabriel. How dare this amoral psycho suggest otherwise?

But then his smile was back in place, and he laughed. "I swear, Gabriel, sometimes you sound like a movie villain. I hope you're not explaining Elite secrets to the terrorists when you have them captured." He imitated Gabriel's voice, flawlessly, "'Nothing can stop me now! Not even Tightsman! And since you're all going to die horribly in my death trap, I might as well tell you all of my plans!'" He shook his head.
Edited by Hexiva, Jul 20 2011, 01:34 AM.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Cafe Richard · Next Topic »
Photobucket

Destine Enormity