Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Destine Enormity
People who need to post today (9/2):
No One!
Photobucket
Fisher in the Tartarus; Fisher has been captured post-Minos. Valentine is disappointed.
Topic Started: Feb 3 2012, 04:38 PM (577 Views)
Hexiva
Friendly Neighborhood Cuttlefish
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Valentine had been blindsided by Fisher's capture in the Tartarus.

He was irritated with himself for not figuring it out, for not putting two and two together and recognizing Fisher's "amnesia" for a cover. He had known Fisher was lying to him. He had seen his own manipulations reflected in Fisher and he hadn't gotten it.

Had Fisher been lying about the Crosses' abuse, too? Valentine didn't know. There had been something off about the Crosses - who kept vials of their kid's blood sitting around for medical purposes? - but, then, there had been something off about Fisher, too.

Still, Valentine couldn't shake the feeling that Fisher had just been mislead by Aidric Carter, who by all accounts was eerily charismatic. The only way to know was to ask. And Valentine was very, very good at asking questions.

He had ordered Fisher handcuffed and held in one of the interrogation rooms about fifteen minutes ago, and now headed towards the Tartarus, stopping to buy lunch along the way. He had told the guards not to feed Fisher in the morning, and the kid would be hungry by now.

He arrived at the interrogation room, set down the bag of food, and sat down at the table in the center, across from Fisher. His expression was one of disappointment, and he waited for Fisher to say something first.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Nolone
Member Avatar
Master of Blood and Gore
Fisher sat in the interrogation room. His head hung low in defeat, looking down at his hands in his lap, which were bound painfully in handcuffs.

He looked thoroughly worse for wear. His filthy hair hung across his face, blackened by the bootblack, he had used to disguise himself, and by dust and rubble that had fallen on him when everything went to hell the night before. His clothing was ripped and torn, and covered in dirt and dust, As well as some blood from a number of minor wounds. And the smell of smoke lingered heavily around him.

Fisher looked up as Valentine entered the room. He gave the man he was slowly considering a friend, a scared look before looking back at his bound hands.

Fisher waited for Valentine to say something, but when the man said nothing, he looked up ever so slightly. The teen looked scared, like he knew that he had been caught in wrongdoing. He swallowed painfully, before opening his mouth.

"What do you want with me? " he said in a shaky whisper, trying his best not to move his broken jaw.
I am a dyslexic, If I make a mistake or you don't understand something. Tell me so I can fix it.

Hexiva
"You were captured in the company of known terrorists, while interfering with Elite business," Valentine said, eventually. "You could be charged with trespassing, murder, and treason."

The second charge stuck in Valentine's mind especially; he doubted that Fisher had been in such a state as to be responsible for his actions, but nonetheless it had been shocking to see the young hemophobic man casually kicking a man in the head when Valentine had viewed the security footage of the Minos incident. "Why did you do it, Fisher? You were doing okay. You were safe from your parents, you had a place to stay. For the first time in your life, you had a chance to get back on your feet. Why would you throw that all away to go run with a bunch of terrorists?"
Edited by Hexiva, Feb 3 2012, 06:07 PM.

Nolone
Member Avatar
Master of Blood and Gore
Fisher looked back down at his hands, his eyes falling on the deep gash on the inside of his right wrist. How much information did he have? Fisher wondered and what was the man just making up. Fisher didn't remember killing anyone. So he was pretty sure that Valentine was making that part up. Nevertheless, he couldn't be sure on the trespassing and terrorist charges because those were undeniably true.

The filthy teen sat there quietly for a minute or two, mulling over Valentine's words.

"For how long do you think you could have kept me safe? A couple of years? " Fisher's voice was monotone holding no emotion whatsoever as he spoke to the floor. " It's just a matter of time before someone in power is badly hurt or falls ill. Then what? Do you honestly think they would stand idly by as a cure to their ills wonders so tantalizingly in front of them? "

He stopped for a second, tears running down his face. Pain shooting through his jaw that protested every word he spoke.

" The way I see it, my life ended the day you bastards killed Ryan. " Fisher said his voice sparking coldly, as he looked up, his red eyes burning with anger. " At least Aidric treated me like a human being, rather than just a tool. That's more than the Crosses or anyone else has ever done for me."
I am a dyslexic, If I make a mistake or you don't understand something. Tell me so I can fix it.

Hexiva
"Do you honestly think you're the only healer in Arcadia?" Valentine said in response, sharply. "You're not. The Wiseman's Watchdog herself has healing powers; for all I know her blood has the same properties as yours. And there's a kid here at SIN, Aryil Caeren, who can heal people just by touching them. She woks in the infirmary and badly wants to join the Elite. I'm sure if one of the Wisemen was injured, she'd be eager to help. They aren't the only ones, either. Your blood is not as important as you think it is. This isn't about your blood. This is about you, and your choices."

Valentine sighed, and rubbed his eyes with one hand. "I didn't mean that as harshly as it sounded. I know you've had a hard life, and I know that must color all your perceptions. It's natural to find it hard to trust after something like that has happened. But I do treat you like a human being."

This was more or less true; Valentine had a nasty way of thinking of everyone, from Anya to Aidric Carter, as tools, but he didn't think of Fisher as a tool anymore than he did anyone else. "So does Anya - I know you don't like her, but she is only trying to help. We are not using you or trying to hurt you. For a start, we're not sending you into a blood combat situation armed only with a shank. Do you think that's the action of a man who thinks of you as a person? Carter is using you as a child soldier. He does that. The vast majority of the combatants fighting by your side were no older than you, and do you know why? Because children are vulnerable.

"You don't have to see the world through the glass of your father's treason and the Crosses' abuse. You could have stepped beyond that, and lived a fulfilling life away from all of this fighting. There's no shame in that. We are, after all, fighting only to protect people like you. You had a chance. And you can still have one. Just help us find Carter - anything you know, anything at all, will be useful - and we can let you go. I can keep the Crosses away from you. You'll be eighteen soon, and you can get a job where you'll never have to see blood again. Please, Fisher."

Valentine was not lying; he fully intended to release Fisher if Fisher talked, and he did genuinely want to help Fisher. True, he was also very eager to learn Carter's whereabouts, but he believed everything he said.

Nolone
Member Avatar
Master of Blood and Gore
Fisher sat there, his temper rising with every sentence that passed through Valentine's lips.

"You talked about child soldiers as if you Elite don't do the same thing. Anya was out there last night just like I was, and she's a good year younger than I am." He paused for a second, before continuing "Aidric just takes in the ones that didn't make the cut or didn't want to be a part of the Wisemen's twisted system."

Fisher shot Valentine a cold look through his matted hair.

"And my Father was not a traitor! He was just a normal that wanted a better life for me! He always said that you should never judge a society by how it treats its upper class, but rather on how it treats its underprivileged. You say you're fighting to protect people. When actually, all your doing is fighting to keep us enslaved! So that the people in power can stay fat and happy! "

There was a low grinding sound, followed by an intense grimace of pain that shot across Fisher's face as he finished. The boy had let his emotions get the better of him, and had accidentally shifted the bones in his jaw in his anger.

Hexiva
"Anya," Valentine said, "was armed and well-trained, and joined the Elite of her own volition. She wasn't kidnapped in a dark alleyway and sent in with just a handmade shank. And battles are bloody - we found you unconscious in the middle of the Minos barracks. If we hadn't shown up, you would have been prey to the first angry Minos mercenary."

He paused here for a bit, considering what to say next. "You say 'us.' But you aren't a Normal, Fisher. You've suffered more than any Normal I know, yes, but you're still a member of the upper class. You see yourself as a Normal because your father was a Normal, and you see the Normals as victims because you see yourself as a victim, but you don't have to always be a victim. You could be safe.

"You didn't answer my offer. You're not the only healer in Arcadia; no one need ever take notice of you. You're not the only victim in Arcadia, either. There are resources available for you. You could see a therapist. Just help me out, Fisher, and I swear, on the Lord, that I'll help you get back on your feet. Don't you want to be safe?"

Nolone
Member Avatar
Master of Blood and Gore
" Yeah, if I had been in normal you would have let me die when I was seven, right next to my father after you shot us full of holes, and wouldn't have even though twice about it. " Fisher growled " but no. I was one of the oh so precious users. So you threw me to the first couple willing to take me and look who great that turned out, look how safe I was there. " Fisher was trying to keep calm, so he wouldn't start yelling. Nevertheless, his anger was obvious in his voice.

" So before you start accusing me of being some murderer may be you should take a look at the establishment that you work for, " Fisher spat

“And no one can keep me safe. I may not be the only healer, but it's just a matter of time before someone finds out what I am and decides to come calling, or for another nut job looking for immortality to lock me away in some lab.” Fisher looked at the ground, as the bitter sting of tears bit at his eyes. He thought about Aidric's words. Aidric had said that he would keep him safe, that he would protect him. But here he was beaten up and imprisoned.

Hexiva
"I have taken a look at the establishment I work for," Valentine said, maintaining an even tone. "And I don't think we're as bad as you think. Maybe you should take a closer look at the company you keep."

Valentine reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a series of photographs, putting them down in front of Fisher like a man dealing cards. "This is from the security footage from the Minos barracks." The photo showed Fisher kicking a Minos in the head, hard enough to break the skull. "This is what the clean-up crew found afterwards." The photo showed the same man's corpse, lying on the ground with chalk around him, as at a crime scene. "This is John Chang." The photo showed the man in life, standing in Thea's Plaza and laughing happily with his arm around a woman.

Valentine pushed the photos closer to Fisher and leaned forward. "There are plenty of healers in Arcadia; the nutjobs can bother someone else. I'm asking you, as your friend, to consider what kind of man you want to grow into. Do you want to be the man who murdered John Chang? Or do you want to be the man who stepped beyond the abuse in his past and went on to live a happy and fulfilling life in peace?"

Valentine was growing a little bit irritated with Fisher's inability to accept that he could ever be safe. Valentine wasn't lying to the young healer; he was perfectly willing to release the kid if he got what he wanted, and there was no reason why Fisher couldn't be left in peace once he was free. There were the Crosses, of course, but Valentine could make arrangements for them if necessary.

Still, Valentine cautioned himself to have sympathy, as a good Christian should, for the poor boy who after all had suffered far more than Valentine could imagine. It wasn't Fisher's fault that the Crosses, and now Aidric Carter, had screwed up his head. Valentine just wished Fisher would let him help.

And of course it would be nice if he could learn Aidric Carter's whereabouts, too.

Nolone
Member Avatar
Master of Blood and Gore
Fisher glared at Valentine for a moment before his eyes move down to look at the pictures that had been laid out before him. He looked at the photos, a look of confusion creeping across his face. He didn't remember kicking anyone, let alone killing someone.

His red eyes raked over the images before him, trying to make sense of what he was seeing. He shook his head in disbelief, coming to the only conclusion that made sense to him.

"You're lying, " Fisher spat his red eyes shooting up from the images. His gaze was intense and full of anger. " You had one of your lackeys Photoshop these for you last night. Well, guess what! I'm not buying it! " Fisher leaned back defiantly in his chair. He tried to cross his arms across his chest, but the handcuffs hindered him.

"I'm part of the MC you got me on that. Do you really need to make up lies to dig my grave deeper? " Fisher growled. He knew he was dead, one way or another. Even so, he'd prefer not to have his name run into the mud more than it already had been.

Hexiva
Valentine blinked at this. He was honestly surprised by Fisher's denial, and he let it show. "You don't remember? You don't remember doing this?"

But of course that make sense. How else could someone like Fisher, terrified of blood and touch and his own shadow, kick a man to death? Fisher must have had some sort of psychotic episode. Valentine cursed Carter for sending someone with Fisher's issues into a combat situation. How had he thought that was going to end?

Valentine knew - or thought he knew - the answer to that one, and it wasn't a pretty one. Carter hadn't cared, so long as he got to pursue his suicidal vendetta against the Wisemen.

"Listen, Fisher," he said. "It's not too surprising that you'd have some sort of psychological effects from your trauma. Now," he said, holding up a hand to forestall the objection he saw coming, "I'm not calling you crazy. I'm just saying that, when pushed to a limit in a situation like the one you were thrown in, it's not too unreasonable that you might blackout and . . . do some things you wouldn't usually. It's not . . . surprising, but it is concerning, and I honestly think you'd benefit from talking to a counselor once you're out of here. Because these photographs aren't doctored. I assure you, I can barely boot my computer up in the morning without it exploding, I could hardly manage a complicated Photoshop job. And I think anyone in the Elite who could do that hates my guts by this point, given that they usually only hear from me with a long phone call that starts out with 'What is my computer doing and how do I make it stop?' What can I do to prove to you that these photographs are real?"

Nolone
Member Avatar
Master of Blood and Gore
" There is nothing you can do or say to prove these fake photos are real. The last thing I remember is laying in the dirt after Anya smashed my face in, then waking up in a pile of rubble with the new kid after everything went to hell. " Fisher growled, not taking his glare off of Valentine.

Something stirred in the back of his mind. She had thanked him for something he didn't remember. He had let her take his hand, and he didn't pull away or find it uncomfortable. He slowly clinched his hand remembering the warmth of Louisa's hand in his, and how it had felt pleasant. Maybe something had happened that he couldn't remember? He forced this unpleasant thought out of his mind. He wasn't crazy.

" I blacked out all the time, that's one of the reasons they won't let me take drivers training. I often wake up bloody and hurt in the nurse's office or were ever my attacker decided to leave me, with no recollection, of how I got there. " Fisher paused for a second before continuing, " But out of all the times I have blacked out I have never hurt anyone, and I'm pretty sure someone would've told me if I had. " Fisher never took his eyes off Valentine as he talked.

Hexiva
Valentine's eyes darted down to Fisher's hand as it clenched. What was Fisher thinking? How certain was he that he hadn't done this? How certain could he be, given that he often lost time? Valentine could barely imagine what that must be like; to wake up and not know what you had been doing. What could you trust, if not your own memory? It was no wonder Fisher was so screwed up.

"If you black out all the time, how can you know what you did or didn't do? You've never been in a situation like this - " he gestured to the pictures - "before. You can't know how your subconscious would react. Have I ever lied to you before, Fisher? I'm trying to help you here."

Nolone
Member Avatar
Master of Blood and Gore
"I'm pretty sure that if I freaked out and became some kind of zombie, someone would have told me. " He looked down at the photos with a distasteful look on his face. " And it's not like I haven't been in bad situations before. I mean, my whole life is one bloody F*cking bad situation." Fisher snapped.

"Everyone tells me they're telling the truth, and that they're not lying. Everyone tells me they're going to keep me safe, and that they're going to help. Some have even gone as far as to say they loved me." Fisher fixed Valentine with a cold stare, "After a while it's just safer not to believe anyone."

Fisher thought of Aidric once again. He trusted him didn't he? What a fool he was. Look where it landed him. Why had he been so foolish as to trust? Had he been so desperate for any source of affection and hope that he put aside better judgment and foolishly trusted the man?

Fisher looked down at his handcuffed hands, tears starting to bubble at his eyes. He wanted to trust Aidric. He wanted to think that even now the rebel leader was planning his rescue. But at the same time the voice of reason and doubt hissed loudly in the back of his mind, that Aidric had lied, and he was never coming to save him.

Hexiva
Valentine nodded, silently for a second, looking sad. "I'm sorry. I've failed you." For a second, it was easy to believe that Valentine was older than he looked; his face was still as smooth as it had been in college, but there was an exhaustion in his eyes that belied that. "I should have figured out what was happening when I found you in that alleyway. I should have realized Carter had been lying to you. I could have . . ." He trailed off, as if uncertain what he could have done, and then picked up again. "We've all failed you. Someone should have saved you from the Crosses a very long time ago, and no-one did. I understand why you can't trust anymore. And there is nothing I can do to change that. The most I can do is try to help you in the future."

The truth was that the exhaustion in his eyes and the uncertainty in his voice were as much artifice as his young face. He did blame himself for failing to do more for Fisher, but it took a lot more than that to shake Valentine. The same unshakable faith - more in himself than in God, although he would never admit it - that let him ignore the atrocities of the Wisemen protected him in what might have been a stressful time for him.

And that faith also isolated him from other people. There was no one he really trusted, anymore than Fisher did. The few people he was inclined to regard as being good people were the same ones he was inclined to look down on, just a little bit, as naive. The closest thing he had to a confidante was Anya, who was twenty years his junior and painfully naive, and the closest thing he had to an equal was Gabriel, who was a sadistic monster.

Valentine didn't think this, though; he didn't pity himself or even regard his situation as undesirable. He just had a passing thought that Fisher was right not to trust, and then reached under the table to pull out the food he'd gotten for Fisher. "Here. It's the least I can do; you must be hungry. There's a fruit smoothie in there, and some sort of soy yogurt-like product."
Edited by Hexiva, Mar 13 2012, 12:48 AM.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Tartarus · Next Topic »
Photobucket

Destine Enormity