Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
EpicWrite News
EpicWrite in the Park event June 18th, Location TBD!                                                                                            Summer EpicWrite, August 9-12th, Location TBT!                                                                                            Do not play near interdimensional portals!                                                                                            Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!
Welcome to The EpicWrite Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

This is the Official forum of the EpicWrite community; members can post stories from events and personal writing projects for feedback. There are also threads for character planning for upcoming events! Guests have the ability to read the threads, but cannot post or reply.

Registration will require admin approval.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
  • 1
Forum Game Stories; Does anyone want to give this another go?
Topic Started: Apr 25 2016, 07:03 PM (386 Views)
Sarah
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi!! In an attempt to help revive this forum, I figured I'd try starting a new group story. Specifically, a forum game.
I actually got the idea for this from MS Paint Adventures, which has several stories that were written in the style of an old text-parser game, but with the other forum users supplying the commands for the protagonist, and the author using those suggestions to keep the story going. So... this story will be using that format, more or less. However, it probably won't be illustrated.

The format is a very fun one, and I figured it couldn't hurt to try!

So... it begins.

The Story Begins...
 

A strange girl sits in a pile of rubbish, asleep at the side of a dark and winding country road. She remains, blind to the pale stars above and deaf to the endless chorus of crickets.
She awakens at midnight.
For all her years, however unknown, her life is now a simple blank page. She remembers nothing. Not even a name.
Perhaps she ought to choose one.

>_
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Connor
Member Avatar
The Dark Paladin
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
>First look around and make sure you're not in danger! Night time is dangerous, right?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Sarah
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Story
 
>First look around and make sure you're not in danger! Night time is dangerous, right?
That's probably a good idea.
She stands and observes her surroundings. The road ahead is long and curving, a grey finger reaching out into the vastness of the endless fields. It runs through hills and groves all the way out to the horizon.
She sees no vehicles passing by, and no strange wanderers. The crickets are almost loud enough to drown out the rumbling of approaching motors or the patter of feet, though, so it is difficult to tell.
Something flickers in the distance.
>_


Any idea how to upload pictures to here, or is that forbidden?
Edited by Sarah, Apr 29 2016, 11:12 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Aaron
Member Avatar
Forum God
Sarah
Apr 29 2016, 11:11 AM
Any idea how to upload pictures to here, or is that forbidden?
Under the text window when you post is an option to upload attachments. You can also embed an image from a URL if you click the "Image" button in the formatting controls. You can paste the image URL in the dialogue it brings up.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Sarah
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Aaron
 
Under the text window when you post is an option to upload attachments. You can also embed an image from a URL if you click the "Image" button in the formatting controls. You can paste the image URL in the dialogue it brings up.

Ok, how do you display uploaded images?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Connor
Member Avatar
The Dark Paladin
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
> go toward the flicker; you can name yourself better if you can see yourself.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Sarah
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Story
 
>Go toward the flicker; you can name yourself better if you can see yourself.
She wanders along the road, just a short distance, and sees a lantern lying in the bushes. It appears to have been discarded by someone, possibly in a hurry. The battery is dying, which explains the flickering.
You can't get a terribly good look at yourself without a mirror, though! She is rather frustrated by this new development. The most she can guess at is that she has long, dark hair (on account of it blocking some of the lantern's amber light), and a rather simple light-colored dress.
Names, names.... hmm...
... this is not working nearly as well as she thought it would.
>_

I'll try to start illustrating it soon... once I know how to insert uploaded files. AAARGGHH.
Edited by Sarah, Apr 30 2016, 04:01 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Connor
Member Avatar
The Dark Paladin
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(man, I hope somebody else plays at some point. I can't take the responsibility of sole control over this girl's life!)
>Well, since you still might have a name and just not know it, why not Nona-- short for no-name? Just for the moment.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Sarah
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Story
 
>Well, since you still might have a name and just not know it, why not Nona-- short for no-name? Just for the moment.
Good enough, she supposes. Nona. She is... Nona.
This doesn't sound familiar in the slightest, but it will do for now.
The lantern's light won't last long, but she picks it up anyway, warding off the darkness with each dimming flash. The lantern's original owner is nowhere to be seen.

Posted Image

There is constant rustling movement out in the shadows, but never distinct enough to identify. The crickets conceal any sound with their droning chirps. She stands in the field at the roadside, under the crescent moon and glimmering stars, and wonders where she is.
The hum of a motor begins to overtake the chirping, somewhere in the distance.
>_


Yeah, I agree that it would be great if more people were participating. Maybe I should put a link in my signature?
The image attached at the bottom is an illustration! EDIT: Ha! Fixed!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: panel4.png (60.59 KB)
Edited by Sarah, May 3 2016, 10:26 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Aaron
Member Avatar
Forum God
Sarah
Apr 29 2016, 04:28 PM
Ok, how do you display uploaded images?
Uploaded images can be clicked and downloaded by readers. Embeded images just show up in the post. You can embed from DeviantArt or a site designed for image hosting like ImgBox (beware gross ads on ImgBox tho)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Sarah
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay... thanks! While you're on, do you want to submit a suggestion for the story? Connor can't do it all!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Liz
Member Avatar
Stranger
[ * ]
>Head toward the motor.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Sarah
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you!
Story
 
>Go towards the motor.
Nona heads along the roadside, her lantern illuminating miles of grass and road. Does this road even go anywhere? She's beginning to think not.
The distant sound of the motor grows louder, and the crickets seem to fade in turn. Another, steadier light approaches. In a matter of seconds, the light reveals itself to be attached to a set of handlebars, and a bit of squinting shows gloved hands gripping them.
The Mysterious Motorist pulls over. They are covered head to toe in protective garb in blacks and greys, with a few strips of tape along the chest and arms that shine brightly in the lantern's light.
They dismount, then freeze and stare at Nona as if expecting her to disappear any second.

MM: Oh dear god...
NN: ...what?
>_

I'll illustrate. Soon. I think. Thank you, VigilantShadow, for joining in! And much thanks to Connor for helping get all this started!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Aaron
Member Avatar
Forum God
>Ask for help.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Sarah
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:
 
>Ask for help.

NN: Um... hello?
MM: ...
MM: .....
MM: .........

NN: Do you know where this is?
MM: .... what the--?!

The Mysterious Motorist makes no response beyond baffled sputtering. She suspects she will not get much more out of them.
The Motorist moves to mount their bike again.

NN: Wait!
NN: Don't go yet! I need to know!

MM: J-just stay away!

Nona has no idea what they are talking about. What reason could they possibly have to be afraid of her? She presses on.

NN: Why are you so scared?
MM: AAAGGHHG!!!!

Posted Image

... this really isn't working.
>_


This is actually sort of weird, because you guys keep giving very sensible commands! Often the part of these sorts of stories is that you get lots of silly or downright bizarre commands suggested for the "player" character, and the option to find some way of incorporating them into the story. That's okay, though!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: panel7a.png (23.33 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Liz
Member Avatar
Stranger
[ * ]
>Try to block the path to stop them from leaving
(If you REALLY want us to be silly we CAN :P)
Edited by Liz, May 2 2016, 11:21 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Sarah
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Story
 
>Try to block the path to stop them from leaving.
Nona and the Motorist play out an odd reversal of the shuffling dance people do when trying to avoid each other. Back and forth, back and forth, until the motorist makes a sudden dodge towards the bike.
Nona thinks this is downright rude. The Motorist doesn't seem to care.

NN: Wait!

The Motorist mounts their bike once more.

MM: Ohgoshohgoshohgoshohgoshohgosh--
NN: WAIT!!!

She grabs on, clinging like an oversized limpet to the handlebars.

MM:AGHGHGHGHGH
NN: Where are you going?!?!

The rumble of a motor startles a handful of mosquitoes into the air.

>_


Silly is great, if you want! Go on ahead!
Edited by Sarah, May 3 2016, 10:49 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Aaron
Member Avatar
Forum God
>Confess love for the motorist.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Liz
Member Avatar
Stranger
[ * ]
Aaron
May 2 2016, 11:34 PM
>Confess love for the motorist.
Ooooh steamy
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Sarah
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Story
 
>Confess love for the motorist

Desperate times call for desperate measures. She does the first thing that comes to mind in that category.

NN: I'm sorry, but... I love you! Please, take me with you!
NN: Sweep me off my feet, to your castle, sweet prince!


You are already running out of ideas. This does not look good.

Posted Image

MM:...

>_
Attached to this post:
Attachments: panel7b.png (7.54 KB)
Edited by Sarah, May 3 2016, 11:11 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Connor
Member Avatar
The Dark Paladin
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
>Quick! While they're off guard! Tackle them to the ground and pin their arms! That'll show them you're not a threat.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Sarah
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Story
 
>Quick! While they're off guard! Tackle them to the ground and pin their arms! That'll show them you're not a threat.

[img to be added]

MM: AHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH
NN: YAAAAAAGHGHGHG

The motorist proves surprisingly light, and crashes down onto the pavement. Oops. She hopes she didn't hurt them too much.

NN: Oh my gosh I'm sorry I didn't think that would work so well--
NN: Are you all right?!

MM: Mmfmmf!

It would appear that, in this new position on the ground, the Motorist's helmet is now muffling their voice! Nona leans in, struggling to make out a few phrases.

MM: You're a [???] oh g[??] yo[?????] [??]t please don't [???] [?]e [?????] I don't wan[?????]--

This is completely incomprehensible! Nona doesn't know what they're talking about in the slightest. To be honest, the same could be said of this entire interaction...

It's becoming quite a battle to keep the Motorist pinned down, though. This seems but a temporary measure. What will she do now?
>_


... it takes a while to illustrate, so I'll have the picture up... later tonight or tomorrow I guess? Sorry I took so long for a few measly paragraphs.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Aaron
Member Avatar
Forum God
>Take the motorists helmet off and ask them to repeat themselves. Return to flirtation.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Sarah
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Story
 
>Take the motorists helmet off and ask them to repeat themselves. Return to flirtation.

She yanks the helmet off and tosses it aside to reveal a very frightened young man. His expression is that of a fish gasping for air, and he is silent.

NN: What did you say?
MM: I... uh...
NN: Well???

She gives him a little shake by the collar.

MM: Oh god you're a--
NN: I'm a WHAT?! Say it to my FACE!!
MM: A... a...
NN: Spit it out, will you!
MM: ... a ghost.

What.

NN: What do you mean, 'ghost'? I'm not dead!
MM: Yes. Yes you are.

Posted Image

NN: I'm not! I'm NOT!
NN: And even if I was, I'm not going to hurt you or anything!

MM: Um... that's... nice?
NN: Oh, y'think?

Posted Image

NN: Hehe...

MM: Er....
NN: Anyway. Um.

Now what?


>_
Attached to this post:
Attachments: panel10b.png (50.53 KB)
Attachments: panel10c2.png (51.43 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Connor
Member Avatar
The Dark Paladin
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
>Well, you've found a bit of civilization-- that's a good start. Ask him if he can take you somewhere you can get your bearings.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Group Stories · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:
  • 1