Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Futera World Football
Latest Footballcardsforum News
****Welcome to Footballcardsforum, the biggest and best Soccer Trading Card Forum on the Net!! ****
Click here to watch our FCF Topps Premier Gold 2013 case break - Ronaldo 1 of 1 hit!!!

Click here to register and Join our community!

Click here to find instructions on how to join our exclusive Futera mini leagues - FREE pack of futera cards when you play 25 games!!.

Posted Image

To post on the forum you will need to register . This will also allow you to use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, trading cards and voting in our survey. Registration is simple, fast, and COMPLETELY FREE. It takes less than a minute honestly!!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features. If you have forgotten your login details please email footballcardsforum@googlemail.com with your email address and your username and password can be sent to you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Topps World Cup 1978
Topic Started: Dec 20 2010, 06:15 PM (1,105 Views)
Futbol_Cards
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Apparently this is a set of cards, not stickers, produced by Topps for the 78 WC. Anyone have some more info on these, checklist perhaps?

Posted Image

Picasa Album - Feedback - Tradelist - Wantlist - Cards For Sale
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gbamast
Member Avatar
Signature Card
Interesting Cards
мαинєѕтєя υиιтє∂ fαи!
And Basingstoke Bison Ice Hockey Team Fan ;)
Posted Image

Mark Bradford (U.K)
Member Avatar
Limited Edition
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bet they're worth a few bob now!
http://s13.zetaboards.com/Football_Cards/topic/6750690/1/#new Trading Feedback

Completed Sets:
Topps Premier League Stickers 2011
Match Attax Premier League 10/11
Match Attax England 2010
Match Attax Extra 2009/2010

Jeff
i-card
[ *  * ]
Hi,

I have 92 different of these cards, and I was a bidder on ebay for the lot that you are showing. They have been referred to as Topps cards by a couple of sellers on ebay, but I have never seen any evidence that Topps issued these cards. The cards are either blank backed or have a back that pictures part of a puzzle- either a team picture or World Cup logo. The only manufacturer information on the cards is on the front in the lower right corner where it has this imprint: 1978 EAM/KPA/FTP. A seller in Los Angeles that has for over 1 year been trying to sell an unopened box for $349.00 or individual unopened packs for $9.99 calls them Topps cards, so I guess it is possible that somewhere on the wrapper or box there is an indication of Topps' involvement- but there is nothing on the cards.

The cards I have seen are numbered into the 400s. The group I have is numbered from #1 -#281. I once saw a South American issued sticker album ( not Panini ) offered on ebay that contained many of the same pictures that are found on these cards. All the Country names at the top of each card are in Spanish, and only the player's last name is found at the bottom of the card. Besides players, I have cards of managers, team pictures, World Cup posters, and postage stamps issued by World Cup hosting countries.

I will be happy to share the checklist information that I have, but since you are especially interested in Mexico, here are the ones I have:

#14 Victor Rangel
#16 Leonardo Cuellar
#20 Arturo Vasquez Ayala
#71 Jose Roca- Mgr.
#74 1970 Poster
#264 1970 Postage Stamps
#276 1970 Postage Stamps

I hope this helps, and let me know if you want any more information.

Jeff

Futbol_Cards
Member Avatar
Hi there Jeff, the info is greatly appreciated, thanks!

I found those images, from that LA seller, and I think you're right about no sign of them being produced by Topps. Can't seem to find any Topps logo anywhere. Also they're described as "estampas" (stamps or stickers) on the pack/box so I guess they are stickers meant for an album after all?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by Futbol_Cards, Dec 21 2010, 09:30 PM.

Jeff
i-card
[ *  * ]
Hi Fernando,

Glad I could help. Thanks for posting the box and pack pictures. I think that seller is the one that is perpetuating the idea that these were made by Topps. However, they are definitely not stickers, but cards. I believe that they were possibly made in Mexico, since the ones I have came from a Mexico City toy dealer/collector. I think the word "estampas" is used rather generically there to refer to cards like the word "cromos" in Spain or "figurine" in Italy. However, I am not 100% sure of that. I also avidly, (though without that much success), search for Mexican League Baseball cards, and "estampas" is one of the words sellers have used for the cards.

The card stock used is similar to O-Pee-Chee cards from Canada in the 1970s. They are standard size 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" on gray cardboard. On the scan you added, you can see a typical puzzle piece back- that one is part of France's team photo. I really would like to try and complete this set, but that seller's prices are crazy. The auction that was just completed for 100 cards finished at $23.00, but this seller wants $5.00 per card. He indicated that there are only 2 cards per pack, so the unopened box of 36 packs contains only 72 cards. Oh well, I will have to search for these elsewhere.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Jeff

Futbol_Cards
Member Avatar
Well these seem very interesting cards then, once again thanks for the info.

As for that seller, I agree his asking price is ridiculous. Looks like I'll have to look elsewhere for these too.

Another question, do these turn up on ebay often? l only learned of these cards after I found them, by chance, on that auction.

Jeff
i-card
[ *  * ]
Hi again Fernando,

I have only seen them on ebay a couple of times other than the L.A. seller with his crazy prices. I got mine from a guy I used to work with whose father was a toy dealer and they bought them from a Mexico City dealer on a buying trip. I got the doubles, but I have never gotten any different ones since.

Let me know if you want the numbers of any of the other cards I have. Thanks, Fernando.

Jeff

Futbol_Cards
Member Avatar
I see. So I guess these are going to be pretty rare to find on ebay then.

No more questions for the moment. Thanks for all the help!

Poolstar
101 Card
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi Guys

I know Monty gum produced a set for world cup 1978. They were blank on the back and just the players name and country on the front but they have the same pictures of the players on the front as on these. I just wonder if they are the same set ??
Trusted Dealers

Bigger_Kid Great guy to deal with,would deal again with him....
Thegreenster Great guy to deal with, would deal again with him...
Amaghmalhaar Great guy to deal with, would deal again with him...
David999 Great guy to deal with, would deal again with him...
Supersupercookie Great guy to deal with, would deal again with him...
Paradogs77 Great guy to deal with, would deal again with him...
KingOfMatchAttax 3 weeks waiting for cards but worth the wait.....BEWARE
Omeshm 3 weeks and no cards yet.......DONT DEAL WITH HIM......BEWARE...........
Dainishcollector Great girl to deal with, would deal again with her..
gt6943. Great guy to deal with, would deal again with him...
MK Dons2010 Great guy to deal with, would deal again with him...
JW23 Great guy to deal with, would deal again with him...

Jeff
i-card
[ *  * ]
Hi again,

No these are not the Monty Gum set. This set is much larger in both size and card dimensions. These cards are 2 1/2" x 3 1/2", which are bigger than Monty Gum. Also, most of the backs have a picture to form a puzzle of one of the teams. As you can see from the pictures in the above post from Fernando, one of the cards has a part of the French team photo. Also from the picture above, you can see that the box and wrappers are in Spanish.

The two sets probably shared a common source for the photos, as I have also seen a South American issued sticker album that used these pictures as well. Also this set includes cards for postage stamps and posters issued by host countries, along with team photos, players, and managers.

If I ever get some more of these cards I hope to shed more light on the issue.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Copa7
Member Avatar
Man of the Match
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The ideas of this being a TOPPS product is that TOPPS VAULT has sold several proof cards from their archives on ebay.

Posted Image

but as you can see, these are different from the boxed samples.
Edited by Copa7, Feb 8 2011, 01:15 AM.
Good traders:
Futbol_cards (USA)
Flea (Ireland)

Jeff
i-card
[ *  * ]
Hi,

Thanks for posting those proofs from Topps Vault. I have never seen those before, but they probably were not for the 1978 World Cup since Vladimir Petrovic played internationally for Yugoslavia, and they did not qualify for the 1978 World Cup finals. However, Yugoslavia did make the 1982 finals, so my guess is that the card was for 1982 (if issued).

If these cards were ever actually distributed by Topps, they must be quite rare. I have been collecting since 1967 and have never seen them anywhere before. Does anyone out there have any of these?

Thanks again for the photos.

Jeff

Copa7
Member Avatar
Man of the Match
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Jeff -

These were TOPPS card from the 1982 World Cup. They are sometimes mistaken for the set featured by the original poster.

cheers
Good traders:
Futbol_cards (USA)
Flea (Ireland)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Other Football Cards - Shoot Out - Upper Deck - Topps Footballer etc... · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Futera World Football Futera World Football