Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Latest Footballcardsforum News
****Welcome to Footballcardsforum, the biggest and best Soccer Trading Card Forum on the Net!! ****
Welcome to Football Cards Forum, join up and talk to 5000+ other collectors or just browse all card info posted.

Click here to register and Join our community!

Click here to find instructions on how to join our exclusive Futera mini league - FREE 5 packs of futera vcards when you play 10 games!!.

Posted Image

To post on the forum you will need to register . This will also allow you to use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, trading cards and voting in our survey. Registration is simple, fast, and COMPLETELY FREE. It takes less than a minute honestly!!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features. If you have forgotten your login details please email footballcardsforum@googlemail.com with your email address and your username and password can be sent to you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Are Ltd editions a rip-off?
Topic Started: Jun 9 2012, 08:34 AM (1,233 Views)
Dommod
Fans Favourite
[ *  *  *  * ]
Reading all these threads about the various ltd's on the forums, I am thinking that for the Euro's there are far too many and some are so ridiculous/difficult to get hold off that realistically most child collectors (primary target market) will never be able to get hold of them. Basically you either have to spend ridiculous money on eBay or buy hundreds of packs one from particular supplier to have a chance of getting one of these cards. The whole point of a collection is that you should be able to buy and/or swap most cards so that a child can get the full collection.

With the current collection unless you sound silly money, which also goes against the spirit of collecting, your child will never get hold of cards such as Joe hart, Ashley Cole, Ashley young ltd and this something I think Topps should look at. Basically the ltd are a way of screwing more money out of kids and mean that you can never get a full set. Also it encourages dodgy profiteering on sites such eBay. The ability to buy cards such as MOTM, 100's after the tournament for reasonable prices is a good service from Topps, but the proliferation of Ltd's is turning into a real racket and goes against the whole point of collecting.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hattersfan
Member Avatar
Masters Card
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Personally, I see Limiteds as part of the set so I will spend money to complete them. However if you dont to spend lots of money then simply complete the base, star players, motms and HCs. And dont regard the limiteds as part of the set. I feel the limiteds are what make the set fun to collect.
My feedback page

Awards:

Match Attax London Champion 2012
Match Attax Manchester Npower Championship tournament winner 2013
Match Attax London Over 14's 'tournament' winner 2014

Luton Till I Die!

Trusted Traders

l1sboa, spurs. attax and many more.

Bad Traders

arsenal9126
MIKADOO123 (sent me two things about 2 years ago, did not get either of them.)

"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."Brian Clough.

macky17g
Member Avatar
100 Club
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
i wouldnt say the are a rip off, just more valuable as there are less of them then the average cards in the sets, and its more exciting searching for the limiteds, i think people who dont collect cards may see them as a rip off lol

fredlynch
101 Card
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dommod
Jun 9 2012, 08:34 AM
Reading all these threads about the various ltd's on the forums, I am thinking that for the Euro's there are far too many and some are so ridiculous/difficult to get hold off that realistically most child collectors (primary target market) will never be able to get hold of them. Basically you either have to spend ridiculous money on eBay or buy hundreds of packs one from particular supplier to have a chance of getting one of these cards. The whole point of a collection is that you should be able to buy and/or swap most cards so that a child can get the full collection.

With the current collection unless you sound silly money, which also goes against the spirit of collecting, your child will never get hold of cards such as Joe hart, Ashley Cole, Ashley young ltd and this something I think Topps should look at. Basically the ltd are a way of screwing more money out of kids and mean that you can never get a full set. Also it encourages dodgy profiteering on sites such eBay. The ability to buy cards such as MOTM, 100's after the tournament for reasonable prices is a good service from Topps, but the proliferation of Ltd's is turning into a real racket and goes against the whole point of collecting.
As previous posts have said, if you don't feel that the Limited Edition cards are worth collecting, then just stick to the normal set. Personally I will always try to complete the LE's but I admit that some (like Hart, Young and Cole) are difficult and possibly expensive.

If you take the Euro 2012 Match Attax set, on the face of it 15 limited editions are almost impossible to obtain, but using eBay you should be able to get most of the cards for under 10. (I bought Young LE for 10)

Finally, collecting the Limited Edition Cards can seem expensive at the time, but wait 2 years and some are financially rewarding. You just have to look at the prices of Gallas Limited Edition and Milner LE, and how they have shot up recently. I bought a card in 2010 for 6.50 that is now worth somewhere between 45 and 60!

In summary, don't feel you have to collect Limited Edition Cards to complete the set, but I would strongly recommend collecting them as you can make money and also feel like you have completed a greater challenge than just the base and the other 'shiny' cards.
I collect Marko Marin cards and stickers.

My Feedback My Trade List

http://s13.zetaboards.com/Football_Cards/topic/6845509/1/#new

My Wish List

jayce101
Member Avatar
Masters Card
It is the limiteds that make collecting fun as i try to set myself a limit per card and never go over it
Take the current euro 2012 panini limiteds
there are 49 and i have about 40+ and have not paid more than 3 for each one
I have done some excellent trades with people for some and dont use ebay unless it is a real bargain
Collecting a set of cards is easy but collecting a set with limiteds takes longer and can be a lot more fun

alanaman
Limited Edition
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Also we have to remember that living in the UK we have access to all the limiteds and the shops/magazines which stock them. If you think its difficult for us then spare a thought for the collectors from other countries who have no option but to buy them on ebay.
I agree with the rest of them, the limiteds make it fun to collect, with the worldwide appeal of the euros Topps have gone to town with the store exclusives but under normal circumstances there are no more than two. This makes it slightly easier.
In my opinion you should buy a box from the retailer with the exclusive, that will give you two limiteds, one to trade for the other rare store exclusive or go halves with a mate on a box and take one limited each. For the 11 12 extra I bought a tesco box and my mate bought a mccolls box so we got a modric and sturridge each and with selling the doubles we pulled back almost half of our money so got the full set with both rare limiteds for just over 50

jayce101
Member Avatar
Masters Card
alanaman
Jun 9 2012, 11:57 AM
Also we have to remember that living in the UK we have access to all the limiteds and the shops/magazines which stock them. If you think its difficult for us then spare a thought for the collectors from other countries who have no option but to buy them on ebay.
I agree with the rest of them, the limiteds make it fun to collect, with the worldwide appeal of the euros Topps have gone to town with the store exclusives but under normal circumstances there are no more than two. This makes it slightly easier.
In my opinion you should buy a box from the retailer with the exclusive, that will give you two limiteds, one to trade for the other rare store exclusive or go halves with a mate on a box and take one limited each. For the 11 12 extra I bought a tesco box and my mate bought a mccolls box so we got a modric and sturridge each and with selling the doubles we pulled back almost half of our money so got the full set with both rare limiteds for just over 50
Exactly
it is a lot easier to get all the topps LES for one set than Panini

llpalm08
Member Avatar
Masters Card
Limiteds arent technicly part of the set in the same way the tins aren't but they make collecting the set allot more fun and are a nice addition. I would personally say that the Panini LE's are a slight bit of a rip off as you have to get a load of collector binders just to be able to get most of them so you end up with loads of empty binders whereas with Match Attax you end up with loads of swaps so you would then be able to trade for cards you need and you could even trade enough of the swaps for the limiteds you are missing.
Wishlist: http://s13.zetaboards.com/Football_Cards/topic/6734488/1/?x=0#post8045383
Feedback http://s13.zetaboards.com/Football_Cards/topic/6742748/1/#new
Player Collections: http://s13.zetaboards.com/Football_Cards/topic/6767254/1/?x=0#post8110761

Dommod
Fans Favourite
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks, all some very interesting comments and as with most things everyones opinion is valid. I suspect however that some of you are not seeing this from the perspective of a nine year old boy (my son and all his mates) who as many kids have no chance of completing the collection because they do not have the money to buy a whole box(!) or pay silly prices on ebay. They see Topps marketing the LE's through kids magazines MOTD but are not in a position to get these cards. At least with 100 clubs etc there is a chance of getting one in a pack which is how kids buy the cards.

I think the current LE marketing and supply with the the euro's has got out of hand with so many tie in deals a cynical ploy by Topps to get as much money for what is essentially a kids hobby, same goes for those flogging them for exorbitant prices on eBay. Kids don't also collect them to make money on in the future, they do it because they love football and love collecting. It's pity that you can't collect all the LE's but just neeed access to pots of cash. Where's the moral in that?

hattersfan
Member Avatar
Masters Card
Dommod
Jun 9 2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks, all some very interesting comments and as with most things everyones opinion is valid. I suspect however that some of you are not seeing this from the perspective of a nine year old boy (my son and all his mates) who as many kids have no chance of completing the collection because they do not have the money to buy a whole box(!) or pay silly prices on ebay. They see Topps marketing the LE's through kids magazines MOTD but are not in a position to get these cards. At least with 100 clubs etc there is a chance of getting one in a pack which is how kids buy the cards.

I think the current LE marketing and supply with the the euro's has got out of hand with so many tie in deals a cynical ploy by Topps to get as much money for what is essentially a kids hobby, same goes for those flogging them for exorbitant prices on eBay. Kids don't also collect them to make money on in the future, they do it because they love football and love collecting. It's pity that you can't collect all the LE's but just neeed access to pots of cash. Where's the moral in that?
You would have to be a pretty poor kid not to be able to afford a copy of MOTD magazine!

And I dont think it is at all a plot to make money. Having spent time with some Topps employees, you can tell that they do like the cards and do like to hear from collectors, that is partly why there are very few LEs for the normal MA set.
My feedback page

Awards:

Luton Till I Die!

Trusted Traders

Bad Traders

arsenal9126

"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."Brian Clough.

Dommod
Fans Favourite
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was talking about the likes of hart, young, Cole plus all the signed limited editions which are ties in with only certain retailers. Plus the likes of Johnson and downing, walkout) le have to be bought with 10 packs of cards minimum. (hmm think about that) Only one LE lampard came with motd magazine and plus gerrard (2 weeks)

hattersfan
Member Avatar
Masters Card
Dommod
Jun 9 2012, 01:09 PM
I was talking about the likes of hart, young, Cole plus all the signed limited editions which are ties in with only certain retailers. Plus the likes of Johnson and downing, walkout) le have to be bought with 10 packs of cards minimum. (hmm think about that) Only one LE lampard came with motd magazine and plus gerrard (2 weeks)
TBH, if you go to a shop like smiths and buy some packs, you have got the same chance of getting an LE as u have a HC. In regards to the Downing, Johnson and Walcott LEs, I dont see the problem, if you were to buy say 5 packs a week, then all you have to do is wait a week and buy a multi-pack. I would say that those 3 were some of the easiest and most cost effective ones to obtain.

As for the signed cards, I dont regard those as part of the set, but if I am lucky enough to get one, its a huge bonus.
My feedback page

Awards:

Luton Till I Die!

Trusted Traders

Bad Traders

arsenal9126

harryl1878
Member Avatar
Limited Edition
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I just think there are too many many LEs about in recent collections, thats the problem for me
1428 different Everton cards... and counting

Wishlist - Tradelist - Feedback

MatchAttaxCam
Member Avatar
Masters Card
Yes, I will collect as most limiteds as I can. I wasn't really going to fully collect MA England, until from my first pack I got hart HC, second Ramos motm; then third limited Cole!
So I thought why not!

And yes haha you'd have to be quite a rich collector (or from topps haha) to get all the signed Le's and count them as part of the sets!

Wish list----------------------Feedback

Trusted Traders: matchattaxcrazy, Tankerton1, Turtle21, Booto67, sufcmilla, gt6943, Macky17g, turboboy94, MA!CCFC98, monkey76

Tankerton1
Member Avatar
Masters Card
Personally I think that you do have the option to collect the LE's or not and for every collection of match attax i have everyone. It depends on how much you like collecting and how dedicated you are, me personally i am very dedicated and will try to get every card as that is my hobby.
I have bought boxes this 1 pack full or 200 pack for MA extra and normal 11/12 plus MA england and you can make money or get two sets etc. from this way, which is handy for me as i split the costs with my brother and we both get a set
I see where you are coming from but it is just down to how edicated you are!!
Trade List Wishlist

Trusted Traders: gt6943 X3, MatchAttaxCam, alanaman X3, mrmatchattax X3, NeilB, bibster X10, CJChelsea, Clem132, garners-great-deals2012, Phild, Darbo, monkey76, pnchocolates, Vimster, KMoran28, Taiz - A big thank you to all of those for some excellent trades!

Tollyman
Member Avatar
Administrator
The reason this forum started was to spread the word about where to get Match Attax Limited Edition cards. Especially ones in magazines and retailers boxes so people didn't have to buy from ebay. Ironic as I was quite a big ebay seller at the time! :doh

In 2008 when I created the forum some ebay members were selling the information on ebay for 1!

Forum feedback - click here

Ebay feedback - click here

ofb1988
Member Avatar
Rangers FC
i think attax have tried to copy panini with the limiteds

panini should stick to lots of limiteds and attax limit theirs.

each company has its unique points but over the years ive seen demand for limiteds rise so can see why they are doing it
Please check out my pictured set at -
Italy set fully pictured Rangers set fully pictured
My Completed Collections

Wishlist TRADELIST

TRADING FEEDBACK - PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK HERE

mojoe
Member Avatar
100 Club
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
i dont think there a rip off its. a few of the sellers. who over describe there cards. as being printed in very small numbers. and this card is. mega rare. ultra rare. when there not. i dont think they know what a rare card is.
trusted traders
kimmeh_d .bibster x2 ukbasedcollector. monkey76 .mszaby x16 .darbo. laliga x4 .spurs.attax x2. K-Schwein. RobJones1973 x 4

wishlist http://s13.zetaboards.com/Football_Cards/topic/6998851/
tradelist http://s13.zetaboards.com/Football_Cards/topic/6996963/
feedback http://s13.zetaboards.com/Football_Cards/topic/7021072/

jimjam300
Man of the Match
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't think there's a problem with how many there were, the issue I found was that there wasn't long enough to get them, as I'm only on pocket money income I only managed to get a few packets a week, and there isn't a WHSmith that close to me so I didn't get Cole as I didn't go there often
About me
Wishlist
Trade list
Feedback

KReaTiVeZiM
Fans Favourite
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm sure topps sell LEs for 50p
TRADELlST

WISHLlST

bibster
Member Avatar
Global Moderator
KReaTiVeZiM
Aug 27 2012, 07:04 PM
I'm sure topps sell LEs for 50p
Topps don't sell Limited Editions. They can only be found within starter packs, tins and lucky packs etc.
Player Collections - David Beckham, Gareth Bale, Jack Wilshere, Charlie Adam, Gary Cahill, Joe Hart, Steven Fletcher, Jay Rodriguez, Charlie Austin, Leighton Baines, David Jones, Harry Kane, Ross Barkley, Dele Alli, Danny Ings

My Online Player Collection Album

Cescfan1
Member Avatar
Signature Card
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sometimes over 150 for some card...

Notice
The frequency of posting is limited to prevent abuse. Please try again in 60 seconds.
Come on!?!?!
Arsenal 'til I die

My Feedback

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · Euro 2012 - Match Attax England · Next Topic »
Add Reply