Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Latest Footballcardsforum News
****Welcome to Footballcardsforum, the biggest and best Soccer Trading Card Forum on the Net!! ****
Welcome to Football Cards Forum, join up and talk to 5000+ other collectors or just browse all card info posted.

Click here to register and Join our community!

Click here to find instructions on how to join our exclusive Futera mini league - FREE 5 packs of futera vcards when you play 10 games!!.

Posted Image

To post on the forum you will need to register . This will also allow you to use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, trading cards and voting in our survey. Registration is simple, fast, and COMPLETELY FREE. It takes less than a minute honestly!!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features. If you have forgotten your login details please email footballcardsforum@googlemail.com with your email address and your username and password can be sent to you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Topps Announce Premier League Premium Set; New set to launch in December 2013
Topic Started: Aug 9 2013, 08:33 PM (15,871 Views)
KarlHungus
Hat Trick Hero
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Futbol_Cards
Nov 17 2013, 09:41 PM
I don't know why UK collectors have to pay so much more than us North American guys, pretty much twice the price. It probably makes more sense to order from the USA and pay the international shipping and import charges than buying locally for double the cost.
In that respect, there is more bad new I'm afraid. Dacardworld has a note on this product's page saying "PLEASE NOTE: Due to licensing rights, we are restircted from selling Topps EPL Premier Gold outside of the U.S. and Canada."

I mailed dacardworld this weekend because this doesn't sound like what Portlaw said a few post higher. And this is what they answered me today:
"We can only ship this within the US and Canada." :doh
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KarlHungus
Hat Trick Hero
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It seems that the checklist that became available a few weeks ago was complete. Three subsets still had to be confirmed, but it now seems that the Future Stars Autographs, International Icons Autographs and Match Winners Autographs are simply part of the Star Players Autographs subset, as card numbers of these 3 subsets all start with "SP-" and were already included int he Star Players Autographs checklist.

KarlHungus
Hat Trick Hero
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
JZX100
Jan 1 2014, 05:04 AM
Thank you for the quick reply Portlaw, So around 200-300 odd unnumbered autographs for those 6 players?

With 887 cases wouldn't that be a tad overkill or would you expect this release to be sold out?
I don't have any knowledge or experience with Topps MLS products, but I would say that the current prices paid for single cards on Ebay are a little high if you would compare it with other non-football/soccer products - which is not that weird as this is the first high end licensed (European) football product in a very long time. It's like this is the product where everyone has been saving the money for in the last couple of years :-)

If the prices stay this high, especially for Ronaldo, Gerrard, Bale and probably Pele autographs, this product will never get dumped and will be sold out soon, because there would be too much value in it. If prices drop significantly, for example because too many Cristiano Ronaldo autographs turn up, things will be different. As you say, 200-300 unnumbered autographs is quite a lot. It's almost unimaginable that prices will not drop after all collectors with enough money have picked up the unnumbered autograph/relic cards that they are after. Not to speak of the thousands of unnumbered relic cards that will soon sell for almost nothing.

If you are thinking about buying a box/case for your PC, I think it's safe to wait a little longer. There are not so many different inserts in this set and not so many cards that will be hunted down, so I don't see the price of boxes/cases increase while supply decreases. If you want to buy a box/case for reselling the separate cards, I wouldn't wait any longer.

I have understood that Topps has a reputation of dumping its MLS products after a while. I can't compare these products with Topps Premier Gold, but it would surprise me if the last one would not be more successful and would therefore follow a little different path.

KarlHungus
Hat Trick Hero
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Portlaw
Jan 9 2014, 04:19 PM
FootballCardsIN
Jan 9 2014, 03:38 PM
Hi guys, I'm new here. I've read a few comments questioning if the relics are match worn. The card clearly suggests at the back that- 'the memorabilia contained in this card is not from any specific, game event or season'. Either it isn't match worn, or they don't particularly know which match?
The word there is 'event'. An event could be a press conference, public event, any type of event or event signing like they did.

I have been very interested in the Villa cards and not a single Weimann or Tonev card has included the premier league badge which leads me to believe they are event worn. I think this as both the Guzan and Benteke do contain the premier league badge so were more than likely used in a premier league game around the time topps obtained the auto's.
Let's not be naive here. When the card says "The memorabilia contained in this card is/are not from any specific game, event or season" it basically means that the player has most probably never actually worn the shirt which has been used for the card. If the piece of memorabilia would come from a game worn shirt (even event worn shirt), the card would clearly indicate that as it makes the card (and set) more interesting for collectors.
People might feel bad about it, but this is how all card manufacturers have been working for many years (mainly in other sports sets). If this is important for you and it makes a difference in the amount of money you want to spend, you should check this carefully before you buy. It's the same thing as checking whether an autograph is on card or sticker, if that matters to you.

For me, it is quite simple:
If you are after an authentic piece of memorabilia, you should stay far away from this set.
For card collectors, on the other hand, I don't think it matters too much if the memorabilia are genuine or not. The cards are special and some are unique, and that is what matters for them. If you would look at for example NBA card sets, you would see that cards with game worn mem have a higher price than cards with non-game worn mem. If there were more high end football card sets, I am sure you would see the same thing. Now there is only one real premium set out there and prices paid are therefore very high, no matter if the memorabilia are game worn or not.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Premier Gold 2013 · Next Topic »
Add Reply