Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Latest Footballcardsforum News
****Welcome to Footballcardsforum, the biggest and best Soccer Trading Card Forum on the Net!! ****
Welcome to Football Cards Forum, join up and talk to 5000+ other collectors or just browse all card info posted.

Click here to register and Join our community!

Click here to find instructions on how to join our exclusive Futera mini league - FREE 5 packs of futera vcards when you play 10 games!!.

Posted Image

To post on the forum you will need to register . This will also allow you to use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, trading cards and voting in our survey. Registration is simple, fast, and COMPLETELY FREE. It takes less than a minute honestly!!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features. If you have forgotten your login details please email footballcardsforum@googlemail.com with your email address and your username and password can be sent to you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Collecting
Topic Started: Jan 11 2014, 01:29 PM (3,142 Views)
rhinorays
Hat Trick Hero
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just curious to know how far people are going on collecting the cards? Are people trying to get an entire team set, printing plates and all, or stopping at a certain colour? I was originally just intending going for the base and greens, but this has now stretched to some oranges and may end up going further...
Wanted:

Merlin Ireland 2002 / Kevin Kilbane mini sticker (Walkers)

Topps Total Football 2009 / SHSS 394 - Kenwyne Jones / Sunderland redemption card

Panini Jeans Fussball 1977 / Sunderland badge

Quadriga Soccer Stars 83 - 84 / 221 Colin West, 222 Leighton James
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

dvsgooner
Member Avatar
Player of the Month
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I will collect one of each 24 Arsenal cards - the most regular ones. The cost for all of them have been about £500-600 (not as much as I feared). I have only one card left: the Wilshere/Ramsey dual jersey card. I still haven't seen it anywhere...

I can't stand 1/1 cards etc; it means that some cards will be totally impossible to get. So I won't try to get any of them at all. I'm just glad I was able to get one of each Arsenal version, with the rarest card limited to 15 (Arteta/Wilshere dual auto).

Hopefully I'll get the Wilshere/Ramsey card very soon so that I can concentrate on other parts of my collection!

Subzero3k
Member Avatar
100 Club
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
dvsgooner
Jan 11 2014, 02:18 PM
I will collect one of each 24 Arsenal cards - the most regular ones. The cost for all of them have been about £500-600 (not as much as I feared). I have only one card left: the Wilshere/Ramsey dual jersey card. I still haven't seen it anywhere...

I can't stand 1/1 cards etc; it means that some cards will be totally impossible to get. So I won't try to get any of them at all. I'm just glad I was able to get one of each Arsenal version, with the rarest card limited to 15 (Arteta/Wilshere dual auto).

Hopefully I'll get the Wilshere/Ramsey card very soon so that I can concentrate on other parts of my collection!
Hi mate

do you collect printing plates,too?
Posted Image

FORZA BVB

Keep Calm and Love BVB

MY CARDS

dvsgooner
Member Avatar
Player of the Month
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
No, I don't. I wouldn't mind them, but as they are so limited there's no point for me to try and get them all. My collection is more like a checklist for Arsenal card collectors, rather than a "one of a kind" personal collection.

Subzero3k
Member Avatar
100 Club
dvsgooner
Jan 11 2014, 04:19 PM
No, I don't. I wouldn't mind them, but as they are so limited there's no point for me to try and get them all. My collection is more like a checklist for Arsenal card collectors, rather than a "one of a kind" personal collection.
Ah ok, good luck for hunting mate :-)

Posted Image

FORZA BVB

Keep Calm and Love BVB

MY CARDS

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm trying to get every single variation, but I drew the line at a (1/1) platinum base card at $125. I have to remind myself "we're only Palace" so I don't get carried away in some sort of obsessive frenzy!

And a seller with the quad auto ( /5) that featured a Palace player wanted circa $400. Sorry but my son's season ticket (Premiership) costs much less than that!!!.
This quad auto:-

Posted Image

went for just over $200 (it's not the one I want as it happens) but very strangely the seller wouldn't ship to the UK. It's a set all about a UK league for goodness sake!

The barmy thing is that I can meet any Palace player before any home game (I go to them all) and get nything signed easily (they're not fenced off or anything) but I'm paying loads for autos just because they are part of a card collection!!

To add to the fun, it's not just enough for the base cards to be in: Base, Green, Orange, Platinum, Premier Gold and 4 x Printing plates. There are also unique 'blank backs' (1/1) occasionally released onto ebay by topps authentics !!!

Edited by Dorking, Jan 11 2014, 08:09 PM.

kimmeh_d
Member Avatar
100 Club
I'm collecting as many variations as I can for my player collections (Mignolet, Suarez and Henderson), but with some of the prices being so steep, I'll just get what I can when I can, and not worry if I can't get them all.
Edited by kimmeh_d, Jan 11 2014, 09:37 PM.
Wishlist, Feedback, Trade List
Thanks to all who have traded with me so far!
Main Player Collections: Luis Suarez, Jordan Henderson

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
With hindsight, I needn't have been so keen to grab the base "green" parallel cards ( /99) when they first started hitting ebay.com - these are now soooo common, that in a couple of months, overseas sellers will be all but giving them away (the international postage is more than the cards already)
Edited by Dorking, Jan 11 2014, 09:00 PM.

Diegomanutd
U-N-I-T-E-D!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I collect Man Utd and American players. I'm trying to get every parallel /99 and /11 plus as many hits as I can. Unfortunately I have the most expensive team to collect, so autos and patches are gonna be hard to get. I've picked up some nice cards already, and I hope to continue.

Portlaw
Member Avatar
Masters Card
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The team I collect is Villa. Within them I collect a number of things.

I've always gone for jerseys over auto's. To me an auto is an auto, but with jerseys a patch is one of kind, yes you might have 2 of them on a jersey like the premier league patches but even at that there will only be one other like it of that player. I got the quad which had a patch of the 4 villa players in the set and had almost every patch available to get in the set. Guzan (defabet patch and yellow jersey), Benteke (premier league patch and blue jersey), Weimann (macroon symbol on shoulder and claret jersey), Tonev (number patch and claret jersey). The only other thing I could get is the crest but Topps never put them into the set so the quad is enough on the jersey count. But it was great to get all those patches on 1 card. I've only seen one other quad and the only difference was the benteke patch just had the premier league patch but no blue jersey so the others could vary or be the same.

I'm also trying to collect the rainbow base, green (/99), orange (/11), platinum (/1) and premier gold (/1) of my 2 favourite players Guzan and Agbonlahor. It is difficult as the 1/1s may never appear but when they do and if you can complete he rainbow set of a particular card it looks spectacular. There are 4 potential rainbows to put together with those players and if I can even put one of them together I'll be delighted.
Edited by Portlaw, Jan 12 2014, 06:09 AM.
My Aston Villa Collection: Picasa Web Aston Villa Album

man_utd1979
Member Avatar
Hat Trick Hero
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Like Diego, I collect Manchester United ... I actually mainly collect club issued or obtained in person memorabilia. However, I have amassed quite a good collection of Upper Deck autos & jerseys and quite a few of autos and jerseys from the new premier gold. I personally am not interested in the base cards or green/orange subsets. You have to draw the line somewhere. The other thing that makes it hard to get even all the autos and jerseys are the crazy prices being asked for the cards. Barring Ronaldo (who hasn't really been one of ours for 5 or so years) it's ONLY Ashley Young and Marouane Fellaini - Not 2 players who are setting the world on fire and in my opinion not 2 players who's cards are worthy of commanding top dollar. I have done quite well thus far however, I am quite confident that in the month or so, people will realise we have all paid a lot more than the cards are really worth and the "madness" will level the prices out. Seems most UK sellers are not looking at international pricing as they seem to be asking about 3-4 x what US and Asian sellers are asking. I have seen common autos of Darren Bent and the like with ask prices of 30-40 quid on ebay UK whereas you can but the same card for $10 US on ebay.com!! The positive is that at least there is a quality football release that has genuine autographs which is worth putting some money into and based on the popularity of this release I think Topps will already be working on a series 2. Hopefully with a better range of players for each team or at least as many per team as Villa LOL
Posted Image
UPPER DECK MANCHESTER UNITED AUTO'S
ALWAYS WANTED TO BUY
My PC Website: http://manchesterunitedcollection.webs.com/

Phild
Member Avatar
Masters Card
Problem UK sellers have is they have had to pay increased prices for stock compared to non UK sellers and so will have to ask increased prices for the items, luckily I took only a small delivery compared to some.

For West Brom cards i'll buy what I like to be honest, if I overpay a little for an item so be it if its an item I want or like the look of. Its the first time we have been involved in a collection like this. I don't buy for investment purposes I buy as a collector and don't really care if others think I overpay or not, my choice and as long as I don't spend what I cannot afford to do then thats fine by me.

The numbered cards to #/99 will drop and have dropped, the other numbered cards in many cases could increase as they dry up.

I've collected American Sports cards on and off for a number of years, I think I started originally in 1982 but as that was before ebay I gave up as it was a struggle to get anywhere with them, since then I have dipped in now and again but have the problem of customs charges these days more so than before. Its amazing the difference in UK collectors compared to US collectors. UK collectors seem to be more reluctant to pay a premium price for a card and the manufacturers and some collectors seem to resent independent card sellers where in the US they are encouraged and some of the top dealers are consulted by the manufacturers before items are produced. Maybe its because there has never been a decent collection in the UK that doesn't involve Match Attax and Adrenalyn XL for a long period of time and those cards have been available on the manufacturers website a few months after release.

harrodjon
Member Avatar
101 Card
I have to agree with the last post. Predominately, I'm a seller. I've not really collected seriously for a few years. The prices most UK sellers are charging are crazy.
With this being the first premium set readily available in the UK, price setting is an awkward task (as something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay). Personally, I have set my prices on what someone would have to pay to buy from a US seller including postage. I feel this is a fair price as I mainly target the UK market and know they would prefer to buy from a UK seller.
People charging upwards of £20 for standard auto cards are crazy. The only cards that demand a high price are the 1/1 cards and plates.
Check out our store for more than just football cards - Collectabubble

Sirainclont
Star Player
[ *  *  * ]
I like the regular set, nice, will be picking this up off Ebay and perhaps parallel of favourites.

The worrying part is there are a lot of sales of autographs and memorabilia around 99 cents, even Fellaini
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAROUANE-FELLAINI-2013-Topps-English-Premier-Gold-Match-Worn-Jersey-/161190412267?pt=US_Soccer_Trading_Cards&hash=item2587b27feb&nma=true&si=rNc6oVIWkli73Zy9DSissMdSrbU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I think if Topps wants to get its autograph and memorabilia values off these sort of price levels they need to sort out a few issues.

man_utd1979
Member Avatar
Hat Trick Hero
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Phild
Jan 12 2014, 11:31 AM
Problem UK sellers have is they have had to pay increased prices for stock compared to non UK sellers and so will have to ask increased prices for the items, luckily I took only a small delivery compared to some.

For West Brom cards i'll buy what I like to be honest, if I overpay a little for an item so be it if its an item I want or like the look of. Its the first time we have been involved in a collection like this. I don't buy for investment purposes I buy as a collector and don't really care if others think I overpay or not, my choice and as long as I don't spend what I cannot afford to do then thats fine by me.

The numbered cards to #/99 will drop and have dropped, the other numbered cards in many cases could increase as they dry up.

I've collected American Sports cards on and off for a number of years, I think I started originally in 1982 but as that was before ebay I gave up as it was a struggle to get anywhere with them, since then I have dipped in now and again but have the problem of customs charges these days more so than before. Its amazing the difference in UK collectors compared to US collectors. UK collectors seem to be more reluctant to pay a premium price for a card and the manufacturers and some collectors seem to resent independent card sellers where in the US they are encouraged and some of the top dealers are consulted by the manufacturers before items are produced. Maybe its because there has never been a decent collection in the UK that doesn't involve Match Attax and Adrenalyn XL for a long period of time and those cards have been available on the manufacturers website a few months after release.
I hear what you are saying Phil, however UK sellers don't HAVE to pay a lot more than US sellers. I am in Australia and obviously the postage would be marginally higher than within US or even to the UK, the shipping cost of a box of Premier Gold is $33 US and the box price is the same as US as it would be bought from a US stockist $209.95 is the best I have found so far total of $242 USD delivered to my door in Australia. So if people CHOOSE not to do a basic Google search for the cost of a box that is their lack of knowledge not an enforced "premium" to pay for not being in America.
If UK stockists are asking the price in pounds and pence that the packs/boxes/cases are in US dollars (EG: $209-249 USD for a box becoming 210-250 pound) that is just daylight robbery and more fool those who accept it.

I was tempted to buy a box or 2 in the hope of pulling something I need but given I really only still need a CR7 base auto (Not too interested in #'d CR7 autos) and a couple of the #'d jersey cards of Fellaini and Young ( as I am only interested in PC ) I am probably better off just buying individually online or through these forums as if I end up buying a box or 2 and don't pull any PC it would be a bit of a waste. The chance of ending up with 5-10 common autos worth $10 each makes it too much of a risk and I will probably just pay the money on a CR7 base auto and have a bit of change.

Posted Image
ALWAYS WANTED TO BUY

Phild
Member Avatar
Masters Card
Its okay saying that but when UK sellers had to put orders in back in October or so we were unaware of costs elsewhere around the world, if we had been aware then I for one would not have purchased from here and would have gone from overseas for my stock. Not the smoothest purchases I have made from suppliers in the UK.

You cannot do a basic google search when buying trade which is where the problems have come for us, the price we have paid trade is not much different to what we can buy off ebay elsewhere.
Edited by Phild, Jan 12 2014, 01:26 PM.

man_utd1979
Member Avatar
Hat Trick Hero
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Phild
Jan 12 2014, 01:25 PM
Its okay saying that but when UK sellers had to put orders in back in October or so we were unaware of costs elsewhere around the world, if we had been aware then I for one would not have purchased from here and would have gone from overseas for my stock. Not the smoothest purchases I have made from suppliers in the UK.

You cannot do a basic google search when buying trade which is where the problems have come for us, the price we have paid trade is not much different to what we can buy off ebay elsewhere.
Phil I am pretty sure I have seen you post on Blowout cards, which means you would most likely have been aware that you could have pre-ordered through them at exactly the same pricing as the US (with marginally higher postage) , I am not trying to be argumentative at all, it is purely the facts. Dacardworld also had the same preorder offersI found all this in Septemeber/October. This is coming from someone who lives in Australia and only buys and collects PC (not a reseller/ retailer) so if I found this all well before release anyone else could have. Anyhow, I believe we are digressing here - back to the main topic, I will stick to Auto and relic cards only. Can I ask all what your opinions are on some of the relic cards where the piece of kit actually has been partially signed by "someone"??? Personally I don't like it. There is an Ashley Young 1/1 on ebay which has what appears to be a bit of RVP's signature on it (It's definitely not Ashley Youngs signature) In my opinion it cheapens the patch as there is no good reason for it having any signing on it and does kind of cloud the fact that it was an event worn jersey - again in MY opinion only.
Posted Image
ALWAYS WANTED TO BUY

harrodjon
Member Avatar
101 Card
Have to agree with Phil on that point (I think we both use the same supplier). Main problem with importing from the USA is customs charges. Plus the fact that so few sellers are prepared to ship to the UK. Especially this collection, citing licensing issues of all things! Once shipping and customs have been paid there is hardly any saving against buying from a reputable UK wholesaler. Plus, I get delivery in 24 hours rather than a week. And with a product like this, that time delay matters for re-sellers

Phild
Member Avatar
Masters Card
I registered on Blowout when the cards came out, I only viewed it very rarely before that as I use another forum in the US more so. If I am contacted by my suppliers here in UK then why would I look around for another company ? Prices were not certain here for a long while to the extent some of us received calls asking how we felt about Topps increasing the prices as they were uncertain if they would make enough money from the product !! I think you are missing the point slightly. If I pre-order from DAcards etc then obviously they are getting stocks at prices cheaper than here in UK if we are paying more ? They are resellers of cards just like me and others (albeit on a massively greater scale and one I will never achieve), their stock comes from Topps same as ours were supposed to be coming from (open to suggestion seemingly if they did or not). I have no knowledge of how many suppliers are in Australia to be honest, I guess not many who would stock this product so you would have to look at the US etc.

To the subject of the patches, not impressed one bit to be honest as we've mentioned elsewhere on the forum, some are not even the shirts worn in the image and for my part Geroge Thornes one is one he must have worn when signing for Topps as he's never worn it in a game.

bibster
Member Avatar
Global Moderator
Just to add my 2p's worth...

I really feel for the sellers in the UK over this release. The fact that the prices they have bought at, mean that they have to charge £25 a pack, or higher prices for inserts/hits if the packs are opened, is ludicrous. And saying that they could have pre ordered through American stockists cheaper is not a valid argument - customs charges are horrendous as I have found out before ordering 1 box (not 1 case) of Upper Deck MLS.

The collection is of the Premier League, based in the UK. Yet the American market get this product at a cheaper price. And although there are some big fans of the Premier League in America, the number of videos I have watched where this product has been open and I have heard comments such as 'he plays for Samsung' or 'Peter Crouch - he is a goalkeeper' just winds me up. Why would people open boxes and boxes of the stuff when they don't know the players or who they play for?? A wasted opportunity for Topps to make this a big collection in the UK in my opinion.

On the upside of a lot of American dealers having no interest or knowledge of the players, has meant that I have picked up some decent cards really cheap. So I suppose every cloud...
Player Collections - David Beckham, Gareth Bale, Jack Wilshere, Charlie Adam, Gary Cahill, Joe Hart, Steven Fletcher, Jay Rodriguez, Charlie Austin, Leighton Baines, David Jones, Harry Kane, Ross Barkley, Dele Alli, Danny Ings

My Online Player Collection Album

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
Its very handy for me that very few people overseas want to collect the rarest Crystal Palace cards - its like everyone just puts them straight onto ebay! I'm sure that's true for several clubs - can't see many people holding onto a Hull or Norwich 1/1 when they could cash in.

Portlaw
Member Avatar
Masters Card
Dorking
Jan 12 2014, 03:01 PM
Its very handy for me that very few people overseas want to collect the rarest Crystal Palace cards - its like everyone just puts them straight onto ebay! I'm sure that's true for several clubs - can't see many people holding onto a Hull or Norwich 1/1 when they could cash in.
There are very few serious collectors of any team apart from the big ones. Any team that is not part of the big 4 or 5 will have limited collectors. Unless your team has a player that people would have a player collection of then the rarer cards should be reasonably easy and cheap to collect

harrodjon
Member Avatar
101 Card
Out of interest. Are people here more likely to just pick up the single cards they want? Or to buy a pack of 5 cards for over £20 in the hope they'll either get what they want or a super rare hit?
I ask this because I've been really surprised by the number of packs of cards I've sold since launch. I was expecting the high price to put a lot of people off. Even tho it is a premium product

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
Personally I'm just choosing the ones I want individually off ebay, as I literally only want Palace ones, so 19 out of every 20 cards are of no interest to be honest.

I've always been the same with every sticker album and card collection for the last 20 years or so - buy the album and just send off for all the numbers I want!! (When I was a kid I did collect via spending all my pocket money on packets and packets of Mexico '86 stickers though)

Fully respect proper collectors though - luckily for the hobby I represent the minority otherwise it'd be unsustainable.

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
Portlaw
Jan 12 2014, 05:33 AM
Guzan (defabet patch and yellow jersey), Benteke (premier league patch and blue jersey), Weimann (macroon symbol on shoulder and claret jersey), Tonev (number patch and claret jersey).
There are definitely some patches which are miles more 'interesting' than others. I've seen loads of Jumbo relics where it's just a slab of one colour. I feel the Jumbo ones should all have had a section with a bit of lettering, numbering or a bit sleeve patch.

KarlHungus
Hat Trick Hero
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
bibster
Jan 12 2014, 02:18 PM
Just to add my 2p's worth...

I really feel for the sellers in the UK over this release. The fact that the prices they have bought at, mean that they have to charge £25 a pack, or higher prices for inserts/hits if the packs are opened, is ludicrous. And saying that they could have pre ordered through American stockists cheaper is not a valid argument - customs charges are horrendous as I have found out before ordering 1 box (not 1 case) of Upper Deck MLS.

The collection is of the Premier League, based in the UK. Yet the American market get this product at a cheaper price. And although there are some big fans of the Premier League in America, the number of videos I have watched where this product has been open and I have heard comments such as 'he plays for Samsung' or 'Peter Crouch - he is a goalkeeper' just winds me up. Why would people open boxes and boxes of the stuff when they don't know the players or who they play for?? A wasted opportunity for Topps to make this a big collection in the UK in my opinion.

On the upside of a lot of American dealers having no interest or knowledge of the players, has meant that I have picked up some decent cards really cheap. So I suppose every cloud...
Basically it's the same thing as with the limited Aguero Match Attax card that could only be acquired in the UK when you subscribed to a magazine (and spent quite some money), only to be given away almost for free in Hungary a few months later (please correct me if I have some facts wrong here). It is not fair and Topps are guilty of organizing it this way for their own benefit, while laughing in the face of collectors.

If Topps cares about collectors, either they should release it at more or the less the same price in every country, either they should just limit the release to one country after which the rest of the world can order boxes from there. I would have understood it if this set was only released in the US, as this is a Topps America product (as far as I understood). Customs charges will always be a pain in the ass but I am afraid that's how things work if you buy stuff from other countries. And you can task the risk of trying to avoid them... :$

paradogs77
Member Avatar
Masters Card
Interesting Topic!
I did not order any packs since I only need 2 Players from this collection:
Mesut Özil & Lukas Podolski.

I am going for all Variations (/99 green & /11 Organge & /1 Platinum & /1Gold), not too sure about the plates.

If somebody sees any Orange or 1/1 of these Players, please let me know. Thanks!
WANTED: Messi
SELLING: PLAYER COLLECTIONS, TEAM LOTS, SINGLES.... http://picasaweb.google.com/paradogs77/
Feedback / Trade List / Wish List

KarlHungus
Hat Trick Hero
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
paradogs77
Jan 13 2014, 04:18 PM
Interesting Topic!
I did not order any packs since I only need 2 Players from this collection:
Mesut Özil & Lukas Podolski.

I am going for all Variations (/99 green & /11 Organge & /1 Platinum & /1Gold), not too sure about the plates.

If somebody sees any Orange or 1/1 of these Players, please let me know. Thanks!
Mesut Ozil Base Premier Gold 1/1 has popped up in Japan: link.

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
Can I just say that now I've got one 'in the flesh', I am slightly 'underwhelmed' by the shiny effect on the platinum 1/1 cards. I actually think the orange effect is more attractive than the rather ordinary looking pale blue tone of the platinum cards.

rhinorays
Hat Trick Hero
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Really interesting to hear the different way people are collecting the set! Agree with dvsgooner that there's something annoying about having 1/1 cards as it makes it impossible to get a complete set if that's what you are aiming for.

It's interesting seeing what things are going for on ebay and trying to work out what is good value and what isn't - by the sound of it the RRP per card is £5, but how you work down from that for base cards and up for the rarer ones seems to be very random at the mo!

It's also making ebay a bit more interesting - I tend to generally use buy it now on the site and the Panini / Topps UK stuff is easy to get at a reasonable price, but with this set I'm having to do more last minute bids and making sure I don't bid more than I should in the heat of the auction!
Wanted:

Topps Total Football 2009 / SHSS 394 - Kenwyne Jones / Sunderland redemption card

jayce101
Member Avatar
Masters Card
Im going for my team but only in base and green parallel, autos and jerseys
however I will be looking for all gerrard variations as he is my only player collection
trouble is he has base cards, midfield maestro, autograph and jumbo relic (very costly)

Portlaw
Member Avatar
Masters Card
With regards to the 1/1's and people not being a fan, I think I remember someone mentioning something about it the platinum parallel's base cards but to me they are a massive let down (the platinum autos, jerseys etc seem to have a little more something about them) they just don't seem special at all BUT the premier gold 1/1's are beautiful, the best cards in the set in my opinion. I know some may be tough to get and expensive but if you can add a 1/1 premier gold parallel to your set for your player/team collection then you will not be sorry, personally unless it's Guzan or Agbonlahor I'll be staying away from the platinum 1/1 base cards

bibster
Member Avatar
Global Moderator
If anyone sees the Jay Rodriguez Premier Gold 1/1 or printing plate anywhere please let me know!

Got the Platinum 1/1 on the way!

Player Collections - David Beckham, Gareth Bale, Jack Wilshere, Charlie Adam, Gary Cahill, Joe Hart, Steven Fletcher, Jay Rodriguez, Charlie Austin, Leighton Baines, David Jones, Harry Kane, Ross Barkley, Dele Alli, Danny Ings

My Online Player Collection Album

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

rhinorays
Hat Trick Hero
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Agree with Dorking and Portlaw about the Platinum cards - they just look like a mix of between the base and green cards.
Wanted:

matchattaxguy1
Player of the Month
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm collecting West Ham cards if anybody sees a 1/1 let me know!
Youtube name: matchattaxguy11

Link for my channel: Youtube channel

Posted Image

Trade List
Wishlist

Portlaw
Member Avatar
Masters Card
Another thing with 1/1's which I'm guilty of too is saying I overpaid on it. You can never really overpay on a 1/1, if there are 2 of a card and 1 sells for $10 and you buy the other 1 for $100 then yes you overpaid. But with 1/1's it's all about what the buyer is willing to pay and as there are no others like it, the person in the world who is willing to pay the most for that card will set the one and only price for that card and so it is not over paying. I do understand that some 1/1's may go for less in a bidding situation but then again it may not. If every single 1/1 in the set was set at $1000 with sellers not budging for less than $900, yes it would be out of the majority of peoples price ranges including my own but those who could afford it and wanted it for their collection would pay it and so the price wouldn't budge that much. Just my opinion on the matter :)

jayce101
Member Avatar
Masters Card
out of curiosity has anyone seen any Henderson jersey cards that are not plain red apart from the orange parallel ones
it seems that every single one is red only

Portlaw
Member Avatar
Masters Card
Has anybody found what they planned on collecting in this set change as they acquire new pick ups?

I had started at just going for unique Villa patches and Guzan and Agbonlahor base parallels, but in the end I managed to collect a rainbow of Guzan jersey cards and also ended up going for the premier gold parallel of the insert base (I love the look of the premier gold on the shot stopper,hot shots etc, I have 3 of the 5 Villa, pregra has 1 and the Agbonlahor is unknown) on top of the patches and Guzan Agbonlahor base parallels. Personally I can't just have a card in a collection for no reason, it would have to have a purpose.

But I found it interesting that what I was collecting changed as I acquired new picks and wondered did it happen to others too.
Edited by Portlaw, Feb 27 2014, 02:23 AM.

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
I started off with the intention of buying everything Crystal Palace and really tried to do so. As it has gone on, I'm not so fussed about the platinum 1/1's (they don't look anything special if I'm being honest) and so if the price for those is too high then I'm willing to just leave them, and with the printing plates, instead of being a completeist, I've lowered my goals and 'just' am after one of the four plates per card design.

I would like more of the 'Premier Gold' 1/1's, and the rarest jersey relic cards but they seem to be rarer than hens teeth for my team!

It's a nice feeling though seeing a card on ebay at a high starting price (eg a 1/10 shirt card) and knowing that I've already got it, particularly if I didn't pay anything like that much!

It is a bit of a shame though that there are less and less new rare cards coming onto ebay now. I suppose not every pack manufactured has been opened, and not every rare card will be sold through the various ebay sites. Naively I thought that nobody in USA, Canada or Asia would hold onto Palace cards, and that most people buying packs abroad would just sell these players straight away, but obviously not - a rare 1/1 is still a nice card regardless of the player and so many have stayed with the 'finder' and never made it to ebay. Learned a lot for 'next time' if there is another release next year (and my team are in it!) - I suspect I would have a narrower range of collecting goals.
Edited by Dorking, Feb 27 2014, 06:40 AM.

rhinorays
Hat Trick Hero
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm trying to get a full Sunderland set of base, green and orange (still after a couple of orange) and other bits and bobs depending on the price - I've managed to get some of the others (platinums, printing plates, although no golds yet!) at reasonable prices, but can't justify spending the amount that some are being listed for on ebay.
Wanted:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Premier Gold 2013 · Next Topic »
Add Reply