Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Latest Footballcardsforum News
****Welcome to Footballcardsforum, the biggest and best Soccer Trading Card Forum on the Net!! ****
Welcome to Football Cards Forum, join up and talk to 5000+ other collectors or just browse all card info posted.

Click here to register and Join our community!

Click here to find instructions on how to join our exclusive Futera mini league - FREE 5 packs of futera vcards when you play 10 games!!.

Posted Image

To post on the forum you will need to register . This will also allow you to use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, trading cards and voting in our survey. Registration is simple, fast, and COMPLETELY FREE. It takes less than a minute honestly!!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features. If you have forgotten your login details please email footballcardsforum@googlemail.com with your email address and your username and password can be sent to you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Collecting
Topic Started: Jan 11 2014, 01:29 PM (3,026 Views)
Portlaw
Member Avatar
Masters Card
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The team I collect is Villa. Within them I collect a number of things.

I've always gone for jerseys over auto's. To me an auto is an auto, but with jerseys a patch is one of kind, yes you might have 2 of them on a jersey like the premier league patches but even at that there will only be one other like it of that player. I got the quad which had a patch of the 4 villa players in the set and had almost every patch available to get in the set. Guzan (defabet patch and yellow jersey), Benteke (premier league patch and blue jersey), Weimann (macroon symbol on shoulder and claret jersey), Tonev (number patch and claret jersey). The only other thing I could get is the crest but Topps never put them into the set so the quad is enough on the jersey count. But it was great to get all those patches on 1 card. I've only seen one other quad and the only difference was the benteke patch just had the premier league patch but no blue jersey so the others could vary or be the same.

I'm also trying to collect the rainbow base, green (/99), orange (/11), platinum (/1) and premier gold (/1) of my 2 favourite players Guzan and Agbonlahor. It is difficult as the 1/1s may never appear but when they do and if you can complete he rainbow set of a particular card it looks spectacular. There are 4 potential rainbows to put together with those players and if I can even put one of them together I'll be delighted.
Edited by Portlaw, Jan 12 2014, 06:09 AM.
My Aston Villa Collection: Picasa Web Aston Villa Album
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Portlaw
Member Avatar
Masters Card
Dorking
Jan 12 2014, 03:01 PM
Its very handy for me that very few people overseas want to collect the rarest Crystal Palace cards - its like everyone just puts them straight onto ebay! I'm sure that's true for several clubs - can't see many people holding onto a Hull or Norwich 1/1 when they could cash in.
There are very few serious collectors of any team apart from the big ones. Any team that is not part of the big 4 or 5 will have limited collectors. Unless your team has a player that people would have a player collection of then the rarer cards should be reasonably easy and cheap to collect

Portlaw
Member Avatar
Masters Card
With regards to the 1/1's and people not being a fan, I think I remember someone mentioning something about it the platinum parallel's base cards but to me they are a massive let down (the platinum autos, jerseys etc seem to have a little more something about them) they just don't seem special at all BUT the premier gold 1/1's are beautiful, the best cards in the set in my opinion. I know some may be tough to get and expensive but if you can add a 1/1 premier gold parallel to your set for your player/team collection then you will not be sorry, personally unless it's Guzan or Agbonlahor I'll be staying away from the platinum 1/1 base cards

Portlaw
Member Avatar
Masters Card
Another thing with 1/1's which I'm guilty of too is saying I overpaid on it. You can never really overpay on a 1/1, if there are 2 of a card and 1 sells for $10 and you buy the other 1 for $100 then yes you overpaid. But with 1/1's it's all about what the buyer is willing to pay and as there are no others like it, the person in the world who is willing to pay the most for that card will set the one and only price for that card and so it is not over paying. I do understand that some 1/1's may go for less in a bidding situation but then again it may not. If every single 1/1 in the set was set at $1000 with sellers not budging for less than $900, yes it would be out of the majority of peoples price ranges including my own but those who could afford it and wanted it for their collection would pay it and so the price wouldn't budge that much. Just my opinion on the matter :)

Portlaw
Member Avatar
Masters Card
Has anybody found what they planned on collecting in this set change as they acquire new pick ups?

I had started at just going for unique Villa patches and Guzan and Agbonlahor base parallels, but in the end I managed to collect a rainbow of Guzan jersey cards and also ended up going for the premier gold parallel of the insert base (I love the look of the premier gold on the shot stopper,hot shots etc, I have 3 of the 5 Villa, pregra has 1 and the Agbonlahor is unknown) on top of the patches and Guzan Agbonlahor base parallels. Personally I can't just have a card in a collection for no reason, it would have to have a purpose.

But I found it interesting that what I was collecting changed as I acquired new picks and wondered did it happen to others too.
Edited by Portlaw, Feb 27 2014, 02:23 AM.

Portlaw
Member Avatar
Masters Card
@Dorking - I agree with you about the platinum base cards but I got in the Guzan platinum jersey card and those platinum cards look really nice, nicer than the gold or orange jersey parallels in my opinion, I think it's because they had to have the platinum in the base a lot lighter (a grey kind of colour) to keep the card attractive as the platinum effect in the jersey card is darker (black/purple colour).

@rhinorays - I agree about not wanting to pay high prices for some cards, I just forked out $100 for a Benteke 1/1 premier gold and then a Weimann 1/1 platinum just sold for under $40. I feel like I just gave in too much money on the card even though the golds are nicer looking and I guess Benteke is a more popular player amongst collectors. The reason I don't want to pay high prices is so I have more funds for more cards for my collection, buying for 100 when resale may only be 50 doesn't bother me as these are for my collection and not an investment. Hopefully you manage to pick up some rare Sunderland cards at good prices and would love to see your collection when you have a chance to share :)

Portlaw
Member Avatar
Masters Card
I sold a Kaley Cuoco Big Bang auto once and had a bin of $500 and had bidding start at $250. I never expected the bin price to be hit and just put it up in case someone wanted it that bad and it was bought at the bin. I suspect that's what many US sellers are doing with best offer option, putting a crazy price out in the hopes someone will want it bad enough but will more than likely take the best offer they can get which is in their opinion acceptable (hopefully their actual valuation of the card isn't too crazy either).

On another note I've come to the conclusion that the Guzan shot stopper #/11 was never made or inserted to packs :'( (this is me just exaggerating, I'm sure it was made, I just can't find it)

Portlaw
Member Avatar
Masters Card
I've been attempting to put together 4 base parallels. The 2 Guzan and the 2 Agbonlahor, before the release I didn't anticipate how costly these would be so I'm going to put my cost in getting these together and if others who have or are attempting to get one together wouldn't mind sharing it'd be interesting to see the difference in costs of putting one together. I know team and player will influence it but I think it'd be interesting.

Guzan (base and insert)

Base: 2/2 ($2)
Green: 2/2 ($4)
Orange: 2/2 ($30)
Platinum: 1/2 ($70)
Premier Gold: 2/2 ($150)

Total = $256 (missing a platinum). Approx. $160 per base parallel set

Agbonlahor (base and insert)

Base: 2/2 ($2)
Green: 2/2 ($2)
Orange: 2/2 ($35)
Platinum: 0/2 ($0)
Premier Gold: 1/2 ($30)

Total = $69 (missing 2 platinums and 1 premier gold). Approx $125 per base parallel set.

I did manage to get the Agbonlahor premier gold 1/1 and the Guzan orange /11 not from ebay so paid far less but putting each one together is far more expensive than I anticipated before the release

Portlaw
Member Avatar
Masters Card
I agree the premier gold and platinum parallels are definitely drying up.

Just a point, Topps new MLS release finally has embroidered patches such as crests etc so we should see some amazing patches in the next Premier League set they release

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Premier Gold 2013 · Next Topic »
Add Reply