Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Latest Footballcardsforum News
****Welcome to Footballcardsforum, the biggest and best Soccer Trading Card Forum on the Net!! ****
Welcome to Football Cards Forum, join up and talk to 5000+ other collectors or just browse all card info posted.

Click here to register and Join our community!

Click here to find instructions on how to join our exclusive Futera mini league - FREE 5 packs of futera vcards when you play 10 games!!.

Posted Image

To post on the forum you will need to register . This will also allow you to use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, trading cards and voting in our survey. Registration is simple, fast, and COMPLETELY FREE. It takes less than a minute honestly!!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features. If you have forgotten your login details please email footballcardsforum@googlemail.com with your email address and your username and password can be sent to you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Collecting
Topic Started: Jan 11 2014, 01:29 PM (3,031 Views)
Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm trying to get every single variation, but I drew the line at a (1/1) platinum base card at $125. I have to remind myself "we're only Palace" so I don't get carried away in some sort of obsessive frenzy!

And a seller with the quad auto ( /5) that featured a Palace player wanted circa $400. Sorry but my son's season ticket (Premiership) costs much less than that!!!.
This quad auto:-

Posted Image

went for just over $200 (it's not the one I want as it happens) but very strangely the seller wouldn't ship to the UK. It's a set all about a UK league for goodness sake!

The barmy thing is that I can meet any Palace player before any home game (I go to them all) and get nything signed easily (they're not fenced off or anything) but I'm paying loads for autos just because they are part of a card collection!!

To add to the fun, it's not just enough for the base cards to be in: Base, Green, Orange, Platinum, Premier Gold and 4 x Printing plates. There are also unique 'blank backs' (1/1) occasionally released onto ebay by topps authentics !!!

Edited by Dorking, Jan 11 2014, 08:09 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
With hindsight, I needn't have been so keen to grab the base "green" parallel cards ( /99) when they first started hitting ebay.com - these are now soooo common, that in a couple of months, overseas sellers will be all but giving them away (the international postage is more than the cards already)
Edited by Dorking, Jan 11 2014, 09:00 PM.

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
Its very handy for me that very few people overseas want to collect the rarest Crystal Palace cards - its like everyone just puts them straight onto ebay! I'm sure that's true for several clubs - can't see many people holding onto a Hull or Norwich 1/1 when they could cash in.

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
Personally I'm just choosing the ones I want individually off ebay, as I literally only want Palace ones, so 19 out of every 20 cards are of no interest to be honest.

I've always been the same with every sticker album and card collection for the last 20 years or so - buy the album and just send off for all the numbers I want!! (When I was a kid I did collect via spending all my pocket money on packets and packets of Mexico '86 stickers though)

Fully respect proper collectors though - luckily for the hobby I represent the minority otherwise it'd be unsustainable.

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
Portlaw
Jan 12 2014, 05:33 AM
Guzan (defabet patch and yellow jersey), Benteke (premier league patch and blue jersey), Weimann (macroon symbol on shoulder and claret jersey), Tonev (number patch and claret jersey).
There are definitely some patches which are miles more 'interesting' than others. I've seen loads of Jumbo relics where it's just a slab of one colour. I feel the Jumbo ones should all have had a section with a bit of lettering, numbering or a bit sleeve patch.

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
Can I just say that now I've got one 'in the flesh', I am slightly 'underwhelmed' by the shiny effect on the platinum 1/1 cards. I actually think the orange effect is more attractive than the rather ordinary looking pale blue tone of the platinum cards.

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
I started off with the intention of buying everything Crystal Palace and really tried to do so. As it has gone on, I'm not so fussed about the platinum 1/1's (they don't look anything special if I'm being honest) and so if the price for those is too high then I'm willing to just leave them, and with the printing plates, instead of being a completeist, I've lowered my goals and 'just' am after one of the four plates per card design.

I would like more of the 'Premier Gold' 1/1's, and the rarest jersey relic cards but they seem to be rarer than hens teeth for my team!

It's a nice feeling though seeing a card on ebay at a high starting price (eg a 1/10 shirt card) and knowing that I've already got it, particularly if I didn't pay anything like that much!

It is a bit of a shame though that there are less and less new rare cards coming onto ebay now. I suppose not every pack manufactured has been opened, and not every rare card will be sold through the various ebay sites. Naively I thought that nobody in USA, Canada or Asia would hold onto Palace cards, and that most people buying packs abroad would just sell these players straight away, but obviously not - a rare 1/1 is still a nice card regardless of the player and so many have stayed with the 'finder' and never made it to ebay. Learned a lot for 'next time' if there is another release next year (and my team are in it!) - I suspect I would have a narrower range of collecting goals.
Edited by Dorking, Feb 27 2014, 06:40 AM.

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
I'd be delighted to land a 1/1 platinum jersey (would be Bolasie for me), and the platinum jersey cards on ebay do look a lot more impressive than the base platinum's I agree.

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
That was the platinum jersey I saw which changed my opinion on platinum's. See there has been 4 offers already, but must say your heart does sink a little when you see a huge price next to a card you are after.

Without meaning to be rude, when it is Palace players and yet the card is approaching 100 (not 'just' $100) you have to wonder if the seller really understands that these are not really the most amazing star players in the League.

I loved the ebay.com auctions in the first couple of weeks where the sellers started even the rarest of cards at 99 cents!!

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
Always worth a cheeky offer. I usually offer just above half the BIN price, and if it is rejected, only increase by a small amount with each offer. I wouldn't have thought anyone would be offering anything like $350 (no offence to Sunderland or its players intended)

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
I've found that 'completing a rainbow' is extremely difficult. Despite buying virtually everything as and when it came up (including winning almost every bid for item on ebay), for some players it just doesn't happen.

I STILL haven't seen an orange ( /11) base card for Joel Ward despite still watching all ebay variants every day for 3 months now! I'll admit that is a bit unusual, however the 'Premier Gold' (1/1) finish cards are also as rare as hens teeth, and I'm finding that ebay is really drying up now.

I guess that this is 'true' collecting - with my old cigarette cards, there are a few I have been waiting for, for over 20 years now. Admittedly I don't actively search for them daily, but I do have ebay 'watches' set up to alert me. I did think I'd have this over with fairly quickly, however it looks like it will be one that is never quite complete. The few cards I want could be in unopened packets for years to come!

In answer to the question though, typically for Palace players, the typical prices have been

base 2
green 4
orange 10
platinum 50
premier gold 65
Topps authentics blank backs $10

(that's if on ebay.com auctions)

The other main issue for me of course has been all the postage, but I try not to think about that!!

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
I would say though that the unnumbered auto and relic cards (which are dead common) are really good value now (in Palace's case both the auto and relic is Bolasie).

You'd pay about the same for a Palace green ( /99) card as you would for an unnumbered auto or relic (easily less than 5 now)

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
There are 10 standard base cards for Palace, and I just needed an 'Orange' ( /11) Joel Ward card to mean that I have every card in Standard, Green, Orange and at least one printing plate.

Finally got it today via Ebay.com, for a whopping US$1.25.

Brilliant!!

(however still hunting a couple of other rare ones!!)

Dorking
Member Avatar
101 Card
It's very much dried up now, probably only check ebay once a week for them - I think most collectors have moved on to other sets.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Premier Gold 2013 · Next Topic »
Add Reply