Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Dragonlance Classes
Topic Started: Jul 8 2010, 03:23 AM (1,627 Views)
Phil the Soul Eater
Member Avatar
Death Sladd
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here is a list of the classes that are available to players in my Dragonlance game. Included are any variations to standard classes from the Player's Handbook. I'll post some threads on Races and Prestige Classes soon.

Barbarian: as PHB

Bard: Krynnish bards may not multiclass with any class that gains power from a deity. This includes clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers. Because healing magic is the province of divine spellcasters on Krynn, bards cannot cast spells from the Conjuration (Healing) subschool.

Cleric: All clerics in Dragonlance receive a Medallion of Faith at first level. See page 46 of the DLCS. New domains are presented in the DLCS page 102 and Holy Orders of the Stars page 80.

Druid: A druid must choose a patron deity but can pick any god that permits its clergy to take on a neutral component. Druids do not receive a medallion of faith.

Fighter: as PHB

Mariner: This class is introduced on page 25 of the Age of Mortals and combines elements of fighter and rogue as well as having some unique characteristics. An alternate version is presented on page 13 of Legends of the Twins and players are free to choose whichever one they prefer.

Master: This class, presented on page 21 of the War of the Lance sourcebook, is essentially a PC version of the expert NPC class. It is a skill oriented class that lets characters become master craftsmen, performers, professionals, and sages.

Monk: monks are not required to worship any god but most choose Majere as their patron deity. A few monastic orders dedicated to Gilean, Zivilyn, Sargonnas, or Takhisis also exist. Monks who choose Majere as their patron can freely multiclass as clerics.

Mystic: Essentially the mystic is to the cleric what the sorcerer is to the wizard. It is a spontaneous divine caster that only came into existence shortly after the Chaos War. They do not receive their powers from a deity but are instead able to tap into the residual energy within themselves left from when the gods created life. The mystic is presented on page 47 of the DLCS.

Nightstalker: The Kender Nightstalker was originally a prestige class in the Age of Mortals sourcebook. It was later expanded into a full class on page 153 of Races of Ansalon. The nightstalker is a variation of the mystic class that includes elements of the rogue as well some ability to interact with and control undead. Although the class is technically available to any race only kender are known to have ever taken it. Because of this unique characteristic Iím restricting it to kender PCs for this campaign.

Noble: The noble class, presented in page 50 of the DLCS, is essentially a PC version of the aristocrat NPC class. Nobles excel in social situations and at influencing NPCs. A more combat oriented noble substitute is available on page 33 of Knightly Orders of Ansalon.

Paladin: Paladins are very rare on Krynn but are becoming more common since the War of Souls. Most Paladins worship Kiri-Jolith although they can choose any LG, LN, or NG deity as their patron. Paladins can multiclass freely as clerics of their patron deity.

Ranger: Normal rangers in Dragonlance must choose a patron deity in order to cast spells although they do not need a medallion of faith. A mystic variation of the ranger is presented on page 148 of Knightly Orders of Ansalon.

Rogue: as PHB

Sorcerer: In the Dragonlance setting sorcerers do not gain their power from any magical bloodline but instead draw it from the residual energy left over from when the gods created the world. Otherwise sorcerers are mechanically the same as in the PHB.

Wizard: as PHB

Magic and Multiclassing: Magic in Dragonlance is divided not only between Arcane and Divine but also between Focused (Prepared) and Ambient (Spontaneous). Due to the conflicting nature of Focused and Ambient magic characters cannot multiclass with classes that use both.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Zerka Badu
Member Avatar
Death Sladd
Phill, for the "PC" versions of NPCs classes, are there any good reasons to play those classes?

Phil the Soul Eater
Member Avatar
Death Sladd
By "PC version of an NPC class" I mean it fills a similar roll kind of like the Fighter class is a player character version of the Warrior NPC class. Both the Noble and Master classes have a bunch of unique abilities that go far beyond what the Aristocrat and Expert get. Neither of them are front rank fighters but but both classes have abilities that would be useful to the party. Whether or not they are worth playing depends on what kind of character you're interested in playing.

cptahubb
Member Avatar
Beholder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Phil, I'm thinking Lizardfolk fighter or monk; or Centaur Fighter (lance) or monk. Centaur monk would be FAST!!! But Lizardflok fighter seems like the most playable option. Let me know what you think,

Phil the Soul Eater
Member Avatar
Death Sladd
Any of those choices would be good although neither race has a monastic tradition so you'd have to come up with a suitable origin for a monk. The lizardfolk of Krynn are called Bakali. They once had a thriving civilization but their unfortunate history as minions of chromatic dragons has vastly reduced their numbers and they now are usually found living in isolated tribes in the deep wilderness. They sometimes have good relations with their neighbors but the general public has mostly forgotten they exist and often mistake them for draconians, often to the bakali's detriment.

Centaurs can be found in many forested areas as well as the Plains of Dust. They used to be pretty isolated but many tribes have recently been driven from their homelands so they are now more likely to be found working with like minded groups of humans and elves. Races of Ansalon has a alternate class feature for centaur paladins that replaces the special mount with a righteous charge if your interested.

cptahubb
Member Avatar
Beholder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, a grimlock monk with zen archery... not an option?

I tend to play beefhorses. If anyone else wants the front line, there are plenty of other roles I'd love to play. My mind generally gravitates to warrior characters.

Phil the Soul Eater
Member Avatar
Death Sladd
cptahubb
Jul 11 2010, 11:24 PM
So, a grimlock monk with zen archery... not an option?

I've always wanted to play a blind character so I sympathize, but no.

« Previous Topic · Phill's Game · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Inspiration created by Arianna of Zathyus Networks Resources