Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Le Fabuleux Destin D'amélie Poulain
Topic Started: Apr 3 2006, 08:17 PM (655 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Oh, sure, you guys wanted me to book more foreign films into the balcony, but do you talk about 'em much? NOOOOOO.

So let's talk about Amélie (2001).

Audrey Tautou is a beautiful young French woman who has decided that she'll never be happy, so her calling in life must be to make others happy. She does this pretty well until she meets a mysterious stranger who collects those photos you get four for $3 from booths in public places. Not photos of himself, but photos others have thrown away. Huh? Anyway, Amélie decides to solve the mystery of this guy, and on the way discovers that just maybe she can find happiness after all.

Funny, quirky, charming, disarming, romantic, sweet... that describes the film and its star. I love this picture, and have seen it more often than any other film made in the 21st century. Favorite scene: Amélie's crush walks into the diner where she works as a waitress, and she melts. Actually melts. Liquifies and turns into a big puddle on the checkered floor.

Anybody else?

Posted Image
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

panzer the great & terrible
Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
I haven't seen Amelie yet but I highly recommend another Audrey Tatou movie, HAPPENSTANCE. On the subway an astrologer tells her she's going to meet the love of her life that day. After she gets off it turns out the guy across the aisle was born the same day, so maybe he's supposed to meet the love of his life too. After a series of ever-more-amazing coincidences, one after the other, of course the two... but that would be a spoiler, n'est pas? A sweet and funny movie.
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...

George Kaplan
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
I liked Happenstance too. At the other extreme is Dirty Pretty Things, a dark little study of "illegals" working in a London hotel. Audrey Tatou plays a Turkish woman who, despite her status as a legal resident, is not permitted to work--but she must work to live. She is convincing in the role, though she revealed in an interview that she did not know English when the film was made. She had to learn her lines phonetically and then figure out how to deliver them with a Turkish accent!

Recommended.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Well, as long as we're on the subject, there's also A Very Long Engagement, with Audrey looking for her lover, who was supposedly killed in the Great War. She feels it in her heart that he's still alive, somewhere, and she's going to find him. Although it's in French, look for Jodie Foster in a bit part(!)
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I still haven't seen Happenstance, but a Tautou film I've now seen three times and laughed my ass off each time - it may be better than Amélie - is Priceless. She's a scam artist on the French Riviera, and she meets another one. Romance ensues. Wonderful, wonderful film.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Sorry, I picked up Amélie based on your enthusiasm and couldn't even finish it. The only positive is that I was able to sell it for more than I paid for it.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

« Previous Topic · Dans le Balcon · Next Topic »
Add Reply