Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sailor Beware (1952)
Topic Started: Dec 29 2006, 03:07 PM (336 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis join the Navy.

Every single Navy gag I've ever seen has been trotted out for this picture; John Grant, Abbott & Costello's chief gagman, is one of the writers, which I guessed before I looked at the credits... the boxing scene from Buck Privates is even reworked for Dean & Jerry.

Jerry is at his most manic, mugging and tearing up the set with a seemingly impossible amount of energy. Dean is as cool and calm as ever. (Even in this early film, note the Jerry Lewis sloppiness at work: check out that expensive jewelry he wears.) There are not one, but two scenes in which Dino tries to sing while Jerry rips up the house, and the usual Lewis solo absurdities, including his entrapment on the deck of a submerging submarine. I laughed at him more than I do in most of his films, and the boxing scene is a classic of his type... he seems to have inspired the young Cassius Clay. As M&L films go, this is one of the funniest.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Sailor Beware (1952) Dir. Hal Walker
A Paramount Picture
108 min. / B&W / 1.33:1
On DVD - The Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis Collection Vol. 1

Ed Ullman is another writer, which is why this seems like an Abbott & Costello/Bowery Boys film with a much bigger budget.

Yeah, watched this again for Mr. Lewis' passing. Did you know James Dean is in it? Yep, watch for him in the boxing gym locker room.

The funniest scene is Jerry boxing, by the way, a sequence that has nothing to do whatsoever with anything else in the movie. Other people who pop up: Betty Hutton and Duke Mitchell (but not together) but no Sammy Petrillo.

Million-dollar Dialog:
Dean, after Jerry kept messing up their duet: "Let's make it a little harder - you and I do a trio!"
Jerry: "Where are we going to get four guys?"

Dean sings several songs that aren't "That's Amore", including "The Sailor's Polka". Uh-huh.

RIP Jer.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Funny Business · Next Topic »
Add Reply