Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
a little treasure found....; at least in my world
Topic Started: May 9 2007, 03:16 PM (1,848 Views)
Inspector Carr
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
While browsing through the Used DVD bin at my local Blockbuster earlier this week I stumbled upon a Goodtimes video compilation of the Lone Ranger that contained on side one the feature version of the 1938 Lone Ranger serial re-titled "Hi yo Silver" The print quality was quite good and since it is the only footage from the original U.S. release existing it does not contain the Spanish subs. the other side of the disc is a compilation of clips called "the Lost Episodes" ranging from trailers, complete vintage episodes with orignial commercials (Tootsie Rolls) some cereal tie in commercials with Clayton Moore, a late 1950's savings type bond film as well as some of those 1970's commercials with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels for Aquavelva aftershave, Dodge automobiles (a number of them) and finally one of the best commericals for Jeno's pizza rolls..........Hi yo Pizza rolls!.....quite the little treasure trove for only 3.99

Oh well thought I would share that with you..

till next
"Life is a Crapshoot however you need a pair of dice to participate"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

marlin lee
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I also have that DVD. I think I got it from a Wal-Mart bargain bin. Absolutely worth the $3.99 and a good deal more.

igsjr
Member Avatar
Nostalgia blogger
[ *  *  * ]
Inspector Carr
May 9 2007, 03:16 PM
and finally one of the best commericals for Jeno's pizza rolls..........Hi yo Pizza rolls!.....

A commercial that is not only one of my all-time favorites, but one that sprang from the fertile imagination of one of my comedy heroes, Stan Freberg.
"Life is in color--but black-and-white is more realistic..." -- Samuel Fuller, director

So many DVDs...so little time...

Sgt Saturn
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

A commercial that is not only one of my all-time favorites, but one that sprang from the fertile imagination of one of my comedy heroes, Stan Freberg.

I have a combo CD/DVD album that contains some of the best of Freberg's commercials.

"Faster than sheep!"

The Ol' Sarge

SuperRog
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I saw that Lone Ranger Jeno's commercial awhile back on Google Videos...

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks for the post, Inspector. I believe I will mosey over to the local Wal-Mart (and Best Buy, and Blockbuster, and...) to see if by chance I can snag a copy of what sounds like an excellent bargain.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

Greypilgrim
Member Avatar
"Zarkov to Flash Gordon....Come in Flash!"
[ *  *  * ]
My favorite part of that pizza rolls commercial is when the waiter comes over to the Ranger and Tonto with a tray full of the pizza rolls.

The Ranger shakes his head and waves the man off, but as he passes Tonto, the Indian grabs the man's arm and proceeds to empty the entire tray into his handbag!!

Not a smile on either one's face!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

andarius
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Inspector Carr
May 9 2007, 03:16 PM
While browsing through the Used DVD bin at my local Blockbuster earlier this week I stumbled upon a Goodtimes video compilation of the Lone Ranger that contained on side one the feature version of the 1938 Lone Ranger serial re-titled "Hi yo Silver" The print quality was quite good and since it is the only footage from the original U.S. release existing it does not contain the Spanish subs. the other side of the disc is a compilation of clips called "the Lost Episodes" ranging from trailers, complete vintage episodes with orignial commercials (Tootsie Rolls) some cereal tie in commercials with Clayton Moore, a late 1950's savings type bond film as well as some of those 1970's commercials with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels for Aquavelva aftershave, Dodge automobiles (a number of them) and finally one of the best commericals for Jeno's pizza rolls..........Hi yo Pizza rolls!.....quite the little treasure trove for only 3.99

Oh well thought I would share that with you..

till next

Cor - I ordered that back in 2004, IIRC, from Amazon - they kept emailing to say they had run out of stock and would I like to wait - in the end I decided to order something else - I should have waited - sounds very interesting.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I haven't had any luck finding this DVD. Could someone provide the full title of the DVD release, or perhaps a link to it? Thanks in advance.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

Greypilgrim
Member Avatar
"Zarkov to Flash Gordon....Come in Flash!"
[ *  *  * ]
A feature version of the Lone Ranger MAY exist, but I've exhausted ALL my links and resources only to have come up empty handed.

There is a reference to a COLOR Clayton Moore Ranger movie called "The Lone Ranger Rides Again" which is taken from a three episode story arc of the TV show and featurized in '55. It follows the origin of the Lone Ranger and Tonto and all.

This is a rare and hard to come by film, but for the serial-feature....nada!

Anyone else have a clue?

**NOTICE**

Apparently, the Color Clayton Moore Ranger film has been remastered and retitled as: "The Origin of the Lone Ranger", or as "Enter: The Lone Ranger", or simply, "The Lone Ranger".

ALL titles are the SAME three episode story arc that I mentioned and can be found on eBay.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Okay, I'm no Lone Ranger expert, but I believe there are two "Lone Ranger" movies from the '50s floating around. One, Legend of the Lone Ranger, is a compilation of TV shows, including the Ranger's origin. The other, The Lone Ranger and the Lost City of Gold, was a "real" movie in widescreen and everything.

At one time, VCI offered a bunch of Lone Ranger DVDs, including those. Currently, they do not offer them; they lost the rights.

What I've got from VCI is called "The Lone Ranger Classic Western Double-Feature" and it contains a two-sided disc. Side one has Legend of the Lone Ranger (listed as "78 min., B/W, 1952") and the other the Hi-Yo Silver feature (68 min., V/W, 1940). I watched the featurized serial a few years ago and the quality was indeed excellent. The VCI DVD is copyright 1999 and it says the films are © Republic Pictures Corporation under license from Golden Books Family Entertainment. This is DVD #8225. You can probably buy it cheap online, maybe, perhaps, somewhere.

Hope something in here helps!
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
P.S. Take a look at this, available from Alpha: http://www.oldies.com/product-view/5945GD.html
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Sgt King
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
The 2 real movies are Warner Bros. "The Lone Ranger" (1956) and United Artists "The Lone Ranger and the Lost City of Gold" (1958). And of course that horrible Clinton Spilsbury one from the 1980's.

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Both of these 50s movies have been available for quite some time from VCI in very good prints. Be careful, though, there are two versions: a correct widescreen version of each movie and a panned-and-scanned version.
TANSTAAFL!

andarius
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
greypilgrim
Dec 18 2007, 09:26 PM
A feature version of the Lone Ranger MAY exist, but I've exhausted ALL my links and resources only to have come up empty handed.

There is a reference to a COLOR Clayton Moore Ranger movie called "The Lone Ranger Rides Again" which is taken from a three episode story arc of the TV show and featurized in '55.  It follows the origin of the Lone Ranger and Tonto and all.

The origin of The Lone Ranger is shown at the start of The Lone Ranger and the Lost City of Gold with a song that goes #Six Texas Rangers... :D

It's been ages since I've seen it but it must be interesting to compare with the first episode of the TV series, Enter The Lone Ranger, which I've got.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tumbleweed Terrace · Next Topic »
Add Reply