Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
a little treasure found....; at least in my world
Topic Started: May 9 2007, 03:16 PM (1,833 Views)
JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Here's the story. The VCI discs I have contain two versions: a 'full-screen' and a 'wide-screen' version of both Ranger movies. The 'wide-screen' versions appear to be just cropped to a wide aspect ratio version of the full-screen versions. For instance, there is considerably less shown above the heads of actors on the screen in the wide-screen versions. Since these were on early DVDs from a bargain-basement company, the wide screen versions are non-anamorphic and thus have black bars on both top and bottom and right and left. Blowing them up to fill a wide-screen TV would produce an only tolerable picture at best. The video quality of the full-screen versions is only so-so (maybe a 7 out of 10) but at least none of the excessive digital noise reduction found in many later VCI releases is present.

According to IMDB, the films were shot at 1.37:1 aspect ratio anyway so the best way to view them is non-wide-screen.

Just so you will know, the catalog numbers on these two VCI sets are #8252 and #8254 respectively. The hash sign is part of the catalog number. There is a second disc in each set containing a lot of extras which are interesting including interviews with Moore's daughter (who I think is a babe), induction ceremoney of Moore and Silverheels into the Cowboy Hall of Fame, and other stuff.
TANSTAAFL!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Thanks, Jazzy, appreciate that. Looks like we need good copies of both films in 1.37:1 and not widescreen.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

Speedy
Balcony Gang
[ *  * ]
If you don't mind a comment from a passing stranger. I had the old MGM VHS of the 1956 LONE RANGER and that began with the opening sequence and credits in widescreen and then went full-screen for the rest of the movie. So I think The Lone Ranger and The Lone Ranger And The Lost City Of Gold, were in widescreen. (Could the movies have been offered to theaters in both formats, if they had not updated yet to show widescreen?) An expert over at The Home Theater Forum said, I think, that every release was in widescreen after 1954.

I agree that the VCI restored widescreen versions were made from full-screen prints by VCI. The VCI restorations were owned by VCI and not used in the giant box Complete Lone Ranger Series DVD set from Classic Media. That set had full-screen versions of the two Lone Ranger movies. And most of the episodes of the TV series itself were time-sped and all were missing the "with his faithful Indian companion Tonto...The Lone Ranger Rides Again", opening.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

We love comments from passing strangers, it's what keeps this site going. It sounds like that "complete set" from Classic Media, ain't so complete after all.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

Pa Stark
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Inspector Carr
May 9 2007, 03:16 PM
as some of those 1970's commercials with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels for Aquavelva aftershave, Dodge automobiles (a number of them) and finally one of the best commericals for Jeno's pizza rolls..........Hi yo Pizza rolls!.

Oh well thought I would share that with you..

till next
Jeno's pizza rolls had several really brilliant commercials back then. One of the greatest commercials ever was a spoof on other commercials, where a woman throws a party, and it was a flop because the pizza rolls were terrible Her neighbor tells her she should have used Jeno's Pizza rolls, and proceeds to pull a package of them out of her purse. The hostess asks if she always carries them around in her purse. Her next party is a great success, and she thanks the neighbor. The neighbor tells her she also has bad breath. The hostess asks her how would she like punch in the nose. Really wonderful.
Honest and Lovable Pa Stark

Pa Stark
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Pa Stark
Sep 6 2016, 12:33 PM
Inspector Carr
May 9 2007, 03:16 PM
as some of those 1970's commercials with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels for Aquavelva aftershave, Dodge automobiles (a number of them) and finally one of the best commericals for Jeno's pizza rolls..........Hi yo Pizza rolls!.

Jeno's pizza rolls had several really brilliant commercials back then. One of the greatest commercials ever was a spoof on other commercials, where a woman throws a party, and it was a flop because the pizza rolls were terrible Her neighbor tells her she should have used Jeno's Pizza rolls, and proceeds to pull a package of them out of her purse. The hostess asks if she always carries them around in her purse. Her next party is a great success, and she thanks the neighbor. The neighbor tells her she also has bad breath. The hostess asks her how would she like punch in the nose. Really wonderful.
Honest and Lovable Pa Stark

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
And those commercials were done by the late, great Stan Freberg.
TANSTAAFL!

« Previous Topic · Tumbleweed Terrace · Next Topic »
Add Reply