Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
To Go, Boldly; I hate split infinitives!
Topic Started: Sep 6 2007, 04:48 PM (4,863 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
I have never been a Star Trek fan; I find the original series to be dull and pretentious. But then, I'm not much of a fan of serious, cerebral, dull sci-fi anyways, for the most part. I did enjoy the first season of ST: Next Generation, but garsh, what guy didn't enjoy looking at Tasha Yar every week? In any case, I saw several of the feature films, and thought they weren't too good, except for the Wrath of Khan one.

But part of this colored by how much Trekkies adore this show, which annoys me the way Yankees fans, Cowboys fans, Raiders fans, and Steelers fans adore THEIR "shows". And when I think about it, I've seen precious few episodes of Star Trek, the original series. Maybe 7 or 8 of 'em (the show ran for 3 years).

So, in a mad impulse, I've purchased the complete First Season, which comes in a bright yellow plastic box that I guess is supposed to be a phaser or something. All 29 episodes, plus bonus material and who knows what all. I will blog each episode as I watch them.

Live long and prosper.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stony Brooke da Mesquiteer
Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
Will you keep a James West type of Fight-O-Meter as you blog ???
It's like Rodney King used to say, "Can't we all get a bong."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
There's fighting on this show?

Okay, I got the first episode, "The Man Trap", under my belt, so to speak. The first show aired, in September 1966, but apparently not the first show produced, 'cause it's labeled episode 06. The newly-introduced cast tussles with a vampire that craves salt, and can assume any form and kill anybody to get it. For most of the show, it takes the form of beautiful women (that IS a vampire), but at the end it looks like an Outer Limits type of monster.

First impressions of the show: very cheap sets; this show is SO 1966. Think "Batman". And what is with the pointy sideburns on the guys? Was that cool back then, or will it be in the far future?

Info that will come in handy later, part 1: Dr. McCoy is a hot head.

Stupid dialog, part 1: (from Spock): "It is illogical for a communications officer to resent the word 'frequency'." Yes, he actually says that.

Info that will come in handy later, part 2: Spock's home planet has no moon.

Interesting factoid #1: When doors open on the Starship Enterprise, they make a sound just like a fat guy getting off a plastic seat cover in the summer.

Racist dialog, part 1: (from Kirk): “Tell Jose he’ll get his chili peppers when we get there.”

Stupid dialog, part 2: (from Kirk to McCoy): "You could learn something from Spock. Quit thinking with your glands!"

Interesting factoid #2: In the future, buffalo are extinct.

Overall impression: I wonder what the first five episodes, the ones they skipped to show THIS one first, are like.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
Yes, there is fighting on this show. Kirk seemed to be in a tussle with some alien lifeform often.....about as often as James West was tusslin' with cowboys. I must confess, I have not watched Star Trek nor Wild, Wild West since they originally aired so that's only about 41 years ago. I have seen Boston Legal and I'll bet Kirk kept the Star Trek sets crackin' up back in the mid 60's. I've never seen TJ Hooker, so I don't know if his character was funny or not in that.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Oh, boy. I'll look forward to THAT. The only fighting on this show entailed Spock slugging the woman vampire.

I looked up the 1966 TV season to see what I was watching on Thursday nights. Following Batman and F-Troop, instead of turning the channel to see the new Star Trek, I kept it where it was and watched The Dating Game and Bewitched. Then I watched That Girl.

Star Trek's lead-in show was Daniel Boone. Hmmm.

Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
Where are all of the Trekkies? Obviously not ITB.

Oh yeah, Kirk will start punchin' aliens soon...... count on it.

marlin lee
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Well I don't know that I'm a Trekkie. But I do have all the movies and all the series including the animated series.

Gravy things to look for. It seems that in the future all uniforms are sturdy except the Captain's shirt. Plenty of opportunities are taken to rip Kirk's shirt. I guess it's only fair to give the women something to look at considering all the skimpy clothes the female guest stars wear. Also fun to track the life expectancy of a red shirt who beams down to a planet.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Well, I had some idea from GalaxyQuest that to be a "guest star" on this show meant you weren't going to live very long, and indeed, there were -- what -- four casualties amongst the crew members on just this episode.

1966 was the big year the networks all converted 100% to color, and I am sure that's why this show is such a rainbow, with bright colorful shirts, orange planets, blue stuff on the Enterprise walls, etc.

The yellow box the DVDs come in -- what is that supposed to be? I thought it was a phaser, but it doesn't look like what Kirk was shooting. And it doesn't look like his communicator, either. What th' hell is it, then?

Inspector Carr
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I think it is a malformed federation lunch pail....
"Life is a Crapshoot however you need a pair of dice to participate"

Sgt Saturn
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

Well, I had some idea from GalaxyQuest that to be a "guest star" on this show meant you weren't going to live very long, and indeed, there were -- what -- four casualties amongst the crew members on just this episode.

Except for the bridge-crew 'regulars', I wasn't healthy to have Jim Kirk as your captain.
The Ol' Sarge

Inspector Carr
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Laughing Gravy
Sep 6 2007, 04:48 PM
I have never been a Star Trek fan;

Nor have I.....althought I saw all the movies (with the original cast) on the Big Screen and enjoyed them, particularly Wrath of Khan....even from the point of creating a big screen sequel on a single TV episode...I do remember the show from the sixties and a few episodes do stand out from those viewing days

In particular the one where Kirk was on that planet with the big lizard guy..
and one where I remember them landing on a somewhat foggy rocky planet (I know that sounds very vague) but one of those red shirt wearing ill fated extras who worked for a day got a spear in his chest the size of a small streetlight...

I could understand the enjoyment of old Sci Fi or any TV show for that matter from our youth and revistiting it thanks to the age of Video tape or DVD...but to literally become a world wide phenomenom....

.....I just can't grasp that, after all it wasn't that good of a series in the first place

but then again back in 1973 a friend was playing an 8 track in his car stereo, and though the music was simple rock and roll and it caught my ear, when I looked at the label with four guys in makeup called kiss, my first comment was

"They'll never make it"

Hey what do I know....
till next

Greypilgrim
Member Avatar
"Zarkov to Flash Gordon....Come in Flash!"
[ *  *  * ]
The skies and the walls on the insides of alien buildings are always a pastel shade--except when there are no walls and only sheer curtains or heavy drapes are substituted.

Most of the aliens wear togas or some-such costume, meaning not too many 'intelligent' beings have discovered trousers.

You'll love the way Bones always compares being a doctor to..." Dammit, Jim, I'm A DOCTOR...NOT a bricklayer!"

Don't go on away missions if you're not one of the regular cast members, because you won't be coming back.

You can make a nasty bomb using an old hollow log, some gems that have potassium nitrate in them, charcoal, and plenty of sulfur, using a piece of your shirt as the fuse and a piece of flint to light it. And, oh yeah...diamonds for buckshot.

The air is always thin around the captain because he has trouble speaking at times..."Spock!.......What...do you............mean,...we can't...........make ..........piecewiththesecreatures?........Are.........yousay....ing....they're........hos....................................stile??"

And the first few before the episode you watched wern't much better. But that was the 60's. :D

Inspector Carr
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Alas mankind was easily amused in those dark ages

Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
All of Trek talk has me recalling an episode, possibly the pilot, where there's a captain other than Kirk. This captain is maybe standing trial and has some scar tissue on his mug.

Johnny Sokko
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
That was Captain Pike.He was the Captain before the ever-overacting James Tiberious Kirk.
Two episodes he was in I believe.
What really is great is the "Borg" story line in 'Next Generation' and 'Voyager'.

Never really got into watching the entire series except for "Enterprise".I've seen the whole series.The third season is excellent.Not giving anything away here, Earth is attacked, seven million dead by a mysterious species called "The Xindi".
So Earths first warp 5 Starship and the sometimes irritatingly amiable, Captain Archer, set off to ask the big question..... WTF!.
They go into an unchartered area of the qalaxy called 'The Expanse'.Where even Vulcans fear to tread.
Excellent story line and effects.

Now...If anyone wants a great SciFi series..Try 'Babylon 5'.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Twonkyville Tuner · Next Topic »
Add Reply