Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Wong Man
Topic Started: Oct 11 2007, 05:55 AM (1,666 Views)
Frank Hale
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
I've always really liked his films, although I guess he was a bear to work with. Maureen O'Sullivan seems to have liked him, though.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

panzer the great & terrible
Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
That would be my impression -- they had at least one really weird kid though, didn't they?
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Jul 26 2013, 09:25 PM
That would be my impression -- they had at least one really weird kid though, didn't they?
But the grandkid was a cute little devil.

Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
Good one!
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...

rodney
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
rodney
Oct 11 2007, 10:01 AM
I seriously can't stomach these movies. Horrible, horrible, horrible.
After all these years, I think I'm going to give this series a shot again. I don't know why.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Frank Hale
Jul 22 2013, 02:15 PM
Speaking of Karloff as Chinese, I caught "West of Shanghai" from the Archive a few weeks ago and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. Boris is a warlord this time, but it's directed by John Farrow and is as much comedy as melodrama. I thought romantic lead Gordon Oliver was quite good, and reliable slimeball Ricardo Cortez is also on hand.

Just thought Id throw that in.

I picked up that three-picture Karloff set from the Archive a couple of months ago. I found all three films to be highly enjoyable.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

Frank Hale
[ *  *  * ]
As I recall, I found "The Invisible Menace" somewhat lame because it wasn't honest with the audience (even if it was also directed by Mr. Farrow), but "Devil's Island" was fun. Always enjoy James Stephenson.

As to Mr. Wong, we are all subject to strange, inexplicable cravings (although, as I said, I didn't think he was all that bad.)

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Why did you feel it was lame and dishonest, Mr Hale? Because they made it look like Karloff was the murderer?

Frank Hale
[ *  *  * ]
I can't really remember, Mr. Bats. Karloff being a red herring was a given early on, but the whole thing seemed pretty half-hearted, sort of like "Sh! The Octopus".

You're not going to make me re-watch it, are you?

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

I'll reatch it, if you do. Then: discuss!

« Previous Topic · Monogram Week · Next Topic »
Add Reply