Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Serial Release from Grapevine
Topic Started: Oct 17 2007, 02:08 PM (1,400 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Woman in Grey (1920), a 15-chapter serial, is now available on 2 DVD-Rs from Grapevine. I sure am ordering MINE today, and I urge all Balconeers to do likewise. Other Grapevine specials are listed, too, at http://www.grapevinevideo.com/New_Releases.htm
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KanSmiley
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Gravy: Please tell me I posted this a couple of hours ago. If you say I didn't Mrs Smiley is going to take me to the rubber room. :huh: :unsure: :(

Kan
http://www.saturday-matinee-memories.com/

intoxicated, adj.: When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

Black Tiger
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Always enjoy Grapevine releases. They go out of their way to make some pretty obscure titles available.

Don Daredevil
Member Avatar
Old Fart
[ *  *  * ]
Grapevine is where I purchased my copy of "Captain Celluloid And The Film Pirates". While I was satisfied with the quality of the DVD itself and the cover, I was a bit disappointed with the low quality DVD case which when I received it it was cracked on a corner and wouldn't close properly. Rather than complain and having to wait to get another one, I just went ahead and replaced it with an extra I had.

By the way, Grapevine is located in my City. :D ... never been there though, ordered by mail ... I do remember that the mail delivery was prompt.

Vornoff
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
OK, I took the plunge and ordered WOMAN IN GRAY from Grapevine before the sale ended (tomorrow). Haven't had much good luck with silents but this one sounded pretty good.

Also picked up (on sale as well) their double feature MURDER ON THE HIGH SEAS with Jack Mulhall along with THE SUNSET MURDER CASE with Sally Rand :P for $6.95.

Then took a flyer and ordered their MYSTERY TROOPER just because it was there and I didn't have it.
"Doctor of nothing!"

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Vornoff
Oct 30 2007, 12:24 PM
Then took a flyer and ordered their MYSTERY TROOPER just because it was there and I didn't have it.

You should have taken a bus. I picked up Grapevine's copy of MYSTERY TROOPER, too. A serial that I found pretty boring, with the low-quality print not helping at all. But, like you Vornoff, I didn't have it and now I do.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Okay, a question, and I hope this just gets answered and doesn't turn ugly... I have noticed that the Serial Squadron is releasing Woman in Grey now, and says its version has been "slightly edited". Just out of curiousity, can anybody tell us what exactly that means?
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Sgt Saturn
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
As I already have Grapevine's A Woman in Grey, I shall not be ordering the Squadron's. However, I did order the Squadron's Officer 444 and Hutch. Those were drop shipped from Grapevine. I suspect (but do not know) that they are working together to some extent. (How much? I have no idea.)
The Ol' Sarge

Inspector Carr
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
They will throw a copyright disclaimer on the title screen....maybe some tinting...throw in some Frank Buck documentary footage to pad it out..
"Life is a Crapshoot however you need a pair of dice to participate"

marlin lee
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Laughing Gravy
Dec 6 2007, 04:16 PM
Okay, a question, and I hope this just gets answered and doesn't turn ugly... I have noticed that the Serial Squadron is releasing Woman in Grey now, and says its version has been "slightly edited". Just out of curiousity, can anybody tell us what exactly that means?

Don't really have an answer. But looking at the serials on that page and comparing them to Grapevine including the descriptions it appears these are Grapevine releases. So the question is was it necessary for Grapevine to edit it for some reason? Or has Doc edited the Grapevine release?

Inspector Carr
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Then again they just may be carrying it as a courtesy....

Sgt Saturn
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Inspector Carr
Dec 6 2007, 04:50 PM
Then again they just may be carrying it as a courtesy....

The only visible difference is in the packaging. The covers on the DVDs I got from the Squadron differ from those shown on the Grapevine website, and the cover shown on the squadron website differs from what I got directly from Grapevine. :huh:
The Ol' Sarge

Inspector Carr
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
And thus began the great Serial Squadron Grapevine Video wars.... :ph43r:

riddlerider
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Laughing Gravy
Dec 6 2007, 01:16 PM

I would imagine that Grood has mastered the version of WOMAN IN GREY that was released to the home-movie market many years ago by Blackhawk Films. If I recall correctly, Blackhawk's David Shepard felt that the serial had too much deadwood and would stand a better chance of attracting buyers if the chapters could be released in one-reel rather than two-reel versions. The episodes were edited to a length of roughly 450 feet in 16mm, which gave them a running time of about 13 minutes each. David didn't cut any major sequences, but he shortened the intertitles and trimmed various scenes.

Blackhawk made Chapter Seven, "At the Mercy of Flames," available in its full length for collectors who would be satisfied with just one episode. But the complete serial was released in both 8mm and 16mm in the shorter version.

I don't believe the complete serial is available; it might not even survive. So I think it's likely that the Squadron version will be the Blackhawk cut. Grapevine's Jack Hardy sells the same version.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Mystery (likely) solved! Thanks, RR!
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Continued Next Week · Next Topic »
Add Reply