Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What Ya Readin'
Topic Started: Dec 21 2007, 08:38 AM (44,312 Views)
Grampy
Member Avatar
Agent of SHIELD
[ *  *  * ]
To celebrate our new forum, I propose a running thread similar to "What are you listening to?" in the music forum.

And I'm sure most of us have 4 or 5 books going at a time.

Let me start the ball rolling
The Drowning Pool-Ross MacDonald (working through MacDonald's work in a random order. If I read them in published order, it tends to bog down when it all becomes 'wayward child affected by long ago family mystery'. The later books are good but too similar in nature for sequential reading.)
Breakaway, Space 1999 #1-EC Tubb ( asked for the DVD set for Christmas, I'll buy it after if I don't get it. Cheesy 1975 Science fiction TV at its finest) The books are novelizations of the show with about 3 episodes per book.
Fingers of Death (Shadow) just beginning this one
The Sinkiang Executive-Adam Hall, I'm a big spy story fan and Hall's Quiller is one of the best.
The Case of the Dangerous Dowager-Early Perry Mason. Almost done, to be followed by Case of the Lame Canary. Working on Gardner's novels in publication order.

Working through my Complete Mad DVD at about 1 issue per week. I'm just about to the end of the classic 'comics style' run before it goes to magazine format.
Still Alive and Well
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stony Brooke da Mesquiteer
Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
Sorry, I only read one at a time....The Early Works Of John Steinbeck.....on Of Mice And Men. I wanted to reread this after more than 30 years after my Monkees post.
It's like Rodney King used to say, "Can't we all get a bong."

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
"The Chimes" by Charles Dickens and "Fright" by Cornell Woolrich are the only two books I have open at this pernt in time.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Greypilgrim
Member Avatar
"Zarkov to Flash Gordon....Come in Flash!"
[ *  *  * ]
Reading Shadow novel #22--The Creeping Death from Jan. 15, 1933--from an ebook disc.

Also skimming throught the Russ Cochran EC Comics reprints of "Crime Suspenstories".

And, at the same time, I'm picking here and there through DC's Showcase presents The Flash--again--just because I love those stories and the art.

In a few days I'm gonna land into Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" just for the Christmas season--of course.

copperhead
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
halfway through LOST IN SPACE AND TIME WITH LEFY FEEP by ROBERT BLOCH--just finished THE NEMESIS OF EVIL by LIN CARTER and BROOD OF THE WITCH QUEEN by SAX ROHMER-----RALPH G

riddlerider
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Last night I started Edgar Wallace's TERROR KEEP, a jacketed first edition of which showed up in yesterday's mail (it's a recent eBay win).

copperhead
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
riddle, recently [through a couple of pals] i was able to watch a few edgar wallace mystery films from germany. i found them to be very enjoyable! have you viewed any?---ralph g

riddlerider
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
copperhead
Dec 21 2007, 01:25 PM
riddle, recently [through a couple of pals] i was able to watch a few edgar wallace mystery films from germany. i found them to be very enjoyable! have you viewed any?---ralph g

Ralph, I first saw the German Edgar Wallace adaptations back in the late '60s and early '70s when they ran on New York's WABC-TV (always in late-night slots, I might add). Many years later, as a collector of 16mm films, I managed to acquire many of those old TV prints. Now I have the Region 2 DVDs issued by a German company. So, yeah, you might say I've seen a few of them.... ;)

Edgar Wallace has been one of my favorite authors since I was 12 years old and came across a copy of THE GREEN ARCHER in my local public library. In fact, that particular novel remains my favorite Wallace mystery, and I reread it every five years or so.

Stony Brooke da Mesquiteer
Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
I picked up a book from the library of 4 Dickens stories. Borrowing from GP's post, I started A Christmas Carol last night.
It's like Rodney King used to say, "Can't we all get a bong."

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Finished both the books I mention above. That amazing colossal book of pulp stories beckons. I like to take a book with me to Starbucks from time to time, but I'm not sure my PT Cruiser is big enough for that pulp compilation to fit into... maybe if I took out a seat...
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Grampy
Member Avatar
Agent of SHIELD
[ *  *  * ]
The Wind-Up Doll by Carter Brown (1964)
In an apparent nod to the Sandra Dee/Bobby Darin matchup, Hollywood PI Rick Holman is asked to investigate a rock & roll idol who is about to marry a young actress. Trouble is too many people think the actress is worth more being single.

Sphere by Michael Crichton (1987)
A science team investigates a huge space ship from the future that has landed deep in the Pacific. Made into a movie with Dustin Hoffmann & Sharon Stone (& Samuel Jackson, but what movie isn't he in?) which I don't think I've ever seen.
Cover blurb "Visit WWW.Sphere-themovie.com". The site still works.

Makes you wonder how much of the net is taken up by obsolete movie promos.
Still Alive and Well

rodney
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I haven't read the book, but I have seen the movie, which is terrible. The book has to be better.

KanSmiley
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Based on some of the titles listed I guess I am the only one that reads crap...I am currently reading Hollywood Rat Race by Ed Wood, Jr. Last week I finished The Hollywood Posse by Diana Serra Cary

Kan
http://www.saturday-matinee-memories.com/

intoxicated, adj.: When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

Grampy
Member Avatar
Agent of SHIELD
[ *  *  * ]
I'm sorry Kan, I yield to no man in my preference for reading crap.
Still Alive and Well

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I haven't started reading it yet, but I received Orson Welles: Hello Americans, by Simon Callow, for Christmas.

Anyone read this one yet? Any thoughts or reviews? Is it a good one?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Ink on Yer Trigger Finger · Next Topic »
Add Reply