Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Whatcha Watchin'?; Movies, that is!
Topic Started: Jan 20 2008, 08:45 AM (25,130 Views)
Stony Brooke da Mesquiteer
Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
Balconeers far and wide know what you are listening to, the serials you're watching, and the DVDs you're poichasin'. I want to know which movies you're watching. You can just put the title here or you can add 2 cents or hell, you can put a whole dimes worth of musings if ya want. You can give the film a rating if you are so inclined. Let's say 5 tickets is the best rank.

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler.
4 1/2
It's like Rodney King used to say, "Can't we all get a bong."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

igsjr
Member Avatar
Nostalgia blogger
[ *  *  * ]
Well, the past couple of days I've been availing myself of the wonderful Columbia comedy shorts sent to me by rodney. Overall, I would rate the product three stars for the sheer nostalgia factor alone. Later today, I'm going to sit down with the original movie version of 1984 (1956) with Edmond "Ye Gods, I'm sweating!" O'Brien, Jan "Smoochie" Sterling and Michael Redgrave. Details to follow.
"Life is in color--but black-and-white is more realistic..." -- Samuel Fuller, director

So many DVDs...so little time...

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
This morning, I finished One Sunday Afternoon, from the early Kurosawa Criterion set. Out of five tickets? Hmmm. It gets three.

Then, having made a big pot o' joe, I sat in my fave chair, read the Sunday paper, had my usual delicious breakfast of fruit, non-fat yogurt, and oat bran, and resumed the novel "The Hound of the Baskervilles"; I'm up to chapter 7. The house is dark and quiet, and peaceful. It's a beautiful morning.

*going back to the moors to see how Dr. Watson is making out*
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Greypilgrim
Member Avatar
"Zarkov to Flash Gordon....Come in Flash!"
[ *  *  * ]
Laughing Gravy
Jan 20 2008, 12:35 PM
*going back to the moors to see how Dr. Watson is making out*

Being an English gentleman, Dr. Watson does not "make out" on the moors.

He takes the ladies for a carriage ride through the park after a hearty dinner and a good bottle of wine.

..................then he makes out!! :lol: ;)

Vornoff
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
For Movie Night last night, we watched MGM's Johnny Eager with Robert Taylor, Lana Turner and Van Heflin. I liked it a lot, mainly for a great performance by Van Heflin and of course the almost criminally gorgeous Lana Turner. A fellow Balconeer's enjoyment was tempered by the fact that he pretty-much can't stand Robert Taylor, says his acting is the same in all his movies. I would tend to agree, though I'm not as hard on ol' Widow Peak.
"Doctor of nothing!"

Chandu
Member Avatar
Champeen of Justice and Seeker of Knowledge, but rascal at heart!
[ *  *  * ]
Stony, this is amazing! I wuz just thinkin' to myself last night, that there was threads for whatcha readin' & whatcha listenin' to, but none for whatcha watchin', so I was gonna start one today, but ya beat me to it! :D

I've been watching That's Entertainment the collector's edition and treated myself to the third volume last night. If there are any musical lovers out there besides Bonga, I'm sure you've already seen this, but if not, add it to your must see list. It's that good! In fact, I've neglected watching the last volume of Showtime USA in lieu of watching this, but I'll get back to Showtime. This is a compilation of MGM's "best of" from all of their musicals and each disc is introduced by Robert Osborne of TCM and comes in both wide and full screen formats. It's just great! ;)

Not plane, nor bird, nor even frog. It's just little ol' me...

Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
I saw That's Entertainment a few Sundays back on TCM and it was entertaing.

I'm sitting in my truck enjoying a smoke having just seen Kurosawa's Dreams ..4 tickets. I also saw 2 Bogart trailers, Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep. They were great on the big screen.

Gotta go, it's about time for The Orphanage.. I love creepy flicks... I hope it's good!

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Tonight, watched Hairspray (2007), which I like, although not as much as the original; an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer from the second season; and an episode of Justice League Unlimited.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
Chandu
Jan 20 2008, 11:58 AM
Stony, this is amazing! I wuz just thinkin' to myself last night, that there was threads for whatcha readin' & whatcha listenin' to, but none for whatcha watchin', so I was gonna start one today, but ya beat me to it! :D

Great minds think alike eh???

rodney
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I watched my serial chapter yesterday (chapter 9 of Tiger Woman), a Sterling Holloway comedy short (Moron Than Off) and started watching Ghost Breakers (1940) but it was late and I dozed off. I'll finish it up tonight.

Greypilgrim
Member Avatar
"Zarkov to Flash Gordon....Come in Flash!"
[ *  *  * ]
Jan 21 2008, 07:49 AM
Chandu

It's more like when two Half-asses meet to make a Whole ass....or @$$(hole) :P :lol: ;)

Grampy
Member Avatar
Agent of SHIELD
[ *  *  * ]
Finally got around to seeing Children of Men.
Being a fan of Dystopian science fiction, I enjoyed the premise-no children born for 18 years and suddenly a pregnant woman shows up. Clive Owens is recruited to get her out of the UK which has begun sending immigrants to concentration camps. Michael Caine and Julianne Moore always a plus.
As with most book based films, I'll be looking for the novel in order to get the full story. Unless I missed it, there's no explanation why humanity is reproducing but the animal kingdom seems to have no problem. Something the book would probably cover.
3 stars out of 4
Still Alive and Well

igsjr
Member Avatar
Nostalgia blogger
[ *  *  * ]
Well, I had to postpone 1984 (1956) til' later on in the evening, but I finally watched it--I'd give it two-and-a-half tickets. The later version (directed by Michael Radford) is much better; this one sort of changes the ending of the book although I did like the cast in this one. (Apparently Donald Pleasance was fighting a losing battle with his hair even back then.) The main detriment to this version is that you have the stentorian voice of the narrator at the beginning of the film spouting off nonsense like "This is the future...but it need not be--it's not too late!"

I decided to lighten the mood afterward with the 1939 comedy-mystery The Gracie Allen Murder Case, which teams the wackier half of Burns and Allen with Philo Vance (Warren William) in a breezy bit of entertainment. "Fido," as Gracie calls him, attempts to prove the innocence of a perfume mixer (Kent Taylor, who later became a sleuth himself on TV as Boston Blackie) accused of the murder of a mobster. Great cast in this one: Ellen Drew, Jed Prouty, Jerome Cowan, Donald MacBride (playing it straight as the D.A.), H.B. Warner, William Demarest and the youngest (and thinnest) I've ever seen Horace McMahon (of TV's Naked City) look. If you like Gracie you'll positively love this--she's pretty much the whole show and even gets an opportunity to sing; I give this two-and-a-half tickets and would have rated the movie higher if they could have worked George into the proceedings (after all, he does have a "bit part" in the novel).
"Life is in color--but black-and-white is more realistic..." -- Samuel Fuller, director

So many DVDs...so little time...

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Never saw that, but I'll look for it. It's always a treat when Gracie sings. She's a whole lot wilder than she looks.

I'm currently about 1/3 of the way into Louisiana Purchase (1941) with Bob Hope and Maxie Rosenbloom. That guy who plays the loudmouthed house dick in Room Service is a crooked cop in this one. I love that guy, who appears to be in comedy features what Anthony Warde or Ed Cobb is in serials: in nearly all of 'em! I guess I could look up his name, but I just always think of him as the "Jumping BUTTERBALLS!" guy.

Okay, gonna get some more coffee, an Asian Pear, and then back to th' movie. BBL, Balconeers! ( By the way, if you haven't already, check out that cool Superman ad I posted last night at www.inthebalcony.com ).

Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
greypilgrim
Jan 21 2008, 05:50 AM
Jan 21 2008, 07:49 AM
Chandu

It's more like when two Half-asses meet to make a Whole ass....or @$$(hole) :P :lol: ;)

Yes, Mr funny boy....Chandu is white and I am black, when we're mixed together we make, by YOUR account, an a**hole, or by my account --- grey, (in my BEST John Wayne voice) pilgram.

I crack myself up sooooooo much, it oughta be a crime :lol:

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Balcony Banter · Next Topic »
Add Reply