Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Everyone Says I Love You (1996)
Topic Started: Jan 28 2008, 07:00 PM (290 Views)
rodney
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Not my favorite Woody Allen film by a long shot, but the latest in my quest to see all of his films. It provides passable entertainment, with very few truly funny lines (but a couple of zingers) and excellent choreography for the musical numbers. A loving tribute to the Marx Brothers at the end. 3 out of 5 tickets.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
On a pure enjoyment level, I rank this film much higher. This is one of the Allen films I watch most; it's simply... well, for lack of a better word, "charming", and I think it is -- with the simply hilarious Broadway Danny Rose -- one of Allen's two most under-rated pictures. (By the way, while I was reading your post, "I'll Say Goodbye to Love" was playing on my CD player. What were the odds of THAT?). Best moment: ghosts singing and dancing the conga at a funeral home to "It's Later than You Think". Second best moment: a parade of pregnant women at the maternity hospital singing "Ain't Misbehavin'". Third best moment: Allen dancing with Goldie Hawn in Paris. But this movie, to me, is like... oh, The Godfather! There isn't a bad scene in it, and I watch one scene and I'm hooked for the rest of the picture. How's THAT for an analogy?
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Stony Brooke da Mesquiteer
Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
I haven't seen many Allen films, so I'm gonna take this thread down Godfather lane. I agree that it is a great film, but upon my 3rd or 4th viewing I caught 2 terrible sound FX scenes. When Carlo is offed in the car, the sound of the breaking windshield is unbearable, well almost as unbearable as Carlo breaking Connie's dishes.they both sound the same and neither sounds as they should. Just pitiful!
It's like Rodney King used to say, "Can't we all get a bong."

rodney
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Unlike most Allen fans, I'm finding his mid-late 90's period to be worse than his current films. I've not seen Cassandra's Dream yet (it's not playing here) but I've enjoyed all of his 2000's films (with the exception of Hollywood Ending, which I found less than great). I'm working my way backwards and am yet to truly enjoy any of his 90's films.

I find Scoop and Small Time Crooks to be more charming films than this one.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

My date didn't wanna see Waiting for Guffman the other night so I whipped this out on her instead, and she was delighted and charmed by it and laughed all the way through it. I believe this is now officially the WAMIHMW ("Woody Allen Movie I Have Most Watched"), passing up Broadway Danny Rose.

Million-dollar Dialog:
Woody, explaining that he can't go jogging 'cause he's out of shape: "I haven't touched my treadmill in weeks! 572 weeks. That's eleven years."

I misspoke above, the song sung by the pregnant ladies in the hospital isn't "Ain't Misbehavin'," it's "Makin' Whoopie." Sorry about that.

If you haven't seen this picture, try it. It's delightful.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

« Previous Topic · Singin' and Dancin' · Next Topic »
Add Reply