Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Seen Any Good Old Tv Shows Lately?
Topic Started: Apr 3 2008, 10:04 PM (9,648 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Tonight, I watched an episode of Hazel -- she kicks a football into a chimney -- and an episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show -- he's taken in by a pool hustler, Buddy Sorrell's brother Blackie.

Regarding the first show, it was nice to see Dan DeFore playing the lead (I'm used to him as the wacky next-door neighbor) but the real surprise was Whitney somebody, the actress playing his wife. Gorgeous! She had several odd close-ups, and I'm wondering if she wasn't "spliced in" after the pilot was filmed. Of course, Shirley Booth was terrific. I haven't seen this show in about 40 years. Did you know it has a theme song? Yep, it does. Written by Sammy Kahn, too.

As for the second show, Blackie Sorrell was played by -- well, I forget his name, but he played the devil on a famous episode of The Monkees, standing in for Don Kirschner. And since I know you're wondering, yes, Rob tripped over the ottoman this week. Best joke the Alan Brady Show writers came up with this week: describing a rich man ("How rich was he?") they went from "He takes a bath in a solid gold bathtub and when he gets out he leaves a 14 karat ring" to "He takes a milk bath -- no, he's so rich he hangs a cow on the ceiling and takes a shower!"
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Greypilgrim
Member Avatar
"Zarkov to Flash Gordon....Come in Flash!"
[ *  *  * ]
In Hazel, the wife was played by Whitney Blake, who not only served time on Hazel, but was the FIRST defendant on Perry Mason, and ALSO the mother to actress Meredith Baxter, star of Family Ties. :o

According to other sources, Whiney Blake reinvented herself after Hazel and
went on to become a film and tv producer, director and writer. **WOW** All that from some nondescript role as a pretty housewife.

Actually she acted in a whole bunch of shows in that time, before and after Hazel. These shows included: Batman, The Man from Uncle, Rawhide, 77 Sunset Strip, Bonanza, The Andy Griffith Show, Route 66 just to name a few.

The source also stares that singer Whiney Houston was named after her!!! :o

Miss Blake died a few years back in 2002.

Blackie Sorrell, just by having said he was the Devil on the Monkees, strikes up a vision of comedy actor, Monty Landis, who always seemed to have that rat-faced quality for playing funny shifty, criminal-type characters. <_<

Sad to say, a list of actors that played various characters on the Dick Van Dyke show, totally omit the name of Monty Landis AND the character of Blackie Sorrell.

Thank God, you never mentioned the kid who played the son on Hazel. I never cared for him at all. He just had NO talent and was there only because he had a "cute factor." HIS name was Bobby Buntrock.

What became of HIM? :ph43r:

Who cares?? :lol: :P :rolleyes:

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Okay, I looked it up. Phil Leeds played Blackie Sorrell. Don't know for sure if he played the Devil, he just reminded me of him. I guess that should be looked up too... (As I recall, two different actresses played Blackie's sister-in-law, Pickles Sorrell, but that's a different story.)

Are you saying that Whitney somebody was Meredith Baxter's mom, or PLAYED her? I better go look THAT up, too. That's interesting.

Yeah, the little boy was awful, but then, his only line (repeated over and over) was "But Hazel can do AAAAAAANYTHING!".

And sequeing back to the DvD Show, to be fair, the kid who played Richie Rosebud Petrie may well have been the worst actor in the history of television. Larry Mathews, right?
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Phil Leeds:

Posted Image

Greypilgrim
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Laughing Gravy
Apr 4 2008, 08:07 AM
Phil Leeds:

Posted Image

I had the face but couldn't quite grab the name.

But Monty Landis WAS the Devil on the Monkees.

And Blake WAS actually Baxter's Mom.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
From this morning's episode of Ultraman... The only survivor of a monster attack that sank a battleship has spoken.

Captain: "He said he saw something. A frightening thing."
Ito: "It's frightening?"
Captain: "That's what he said."

igsjr
Member Avatar
Nostalgia blogger
[ *  *  * ]
Blake was also the co-creator of One Day at a Time, a popular 70s-80s sitcom that started out very well until it took a fork in the road and wound up checked in at the Hotel Bathos.

As for my old TV series experiences of recent, I caught a couple of episodes of Pete and Gladys the other night...Pete and Gladys being the not-quite-successful spin-off of December Bride (though it did manage to hold on for two years). It's an unusual domestic comedy, with an interesting streak of sarcasm running through it; Gladys is played by Cara Williams, who was great in The Defiant Ones (1958) but unfortunately is forced to do a Lucille Ball imitation here. Harry Morgan is Pete, and he's damn funny--but he was funnier on Bride.

Also sat down with a few scattered installments of The Bill Dana Show. I didn't realize that some of these episodes were written by Ray Singer and Dick Chevillat--the duo responsible for Phil Harris and Alice Faye's riotous radio sitcom--but one in particular, "Tonsils for Two." is laugh-out-loud funny: Jose is skittish about having his tonsils taken out but when hotel dick Byron Glick (would you believe, Don Adams?) tells him there's nothing to it he winds up having to have his taken out as well. The two of them end up waiting outside the maternity ward with another guy and the misunderstandings between them (Jose and Byron think this guy is a tonsilectomy patient--he thinks Jose and Byron are expectant fathers) could have come right out of a Phil Harris-Frankie Remley routine.
"Life is in color--but black-and-white is more realistic..." -- Samuel Fuller, director

So many DVDs...so little time...

Zodiac
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Sorry to change the mood from Hazel and her exploits, but I just got a copy of 1973's I, Claudius, voted one of the 100 best TV shows of all time.

It has been years since I have seen it, but it is still an incredible experience.

Superb writing and acting and not a CG in sight!

Stony Brooke da Mesquiteer
Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
I watched an episode of Lost In Space Wed night. Werner Klemperer plays an intergalactic cop. I couldn't place him at first, but after a few lines.....HOGAN !!!!

Episode 26 of season 1
It's like Rodney King used to say, "Can't we all get a bong."

Black Tiger
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I agree with Zody. I, Claudius is one of the best things ever done for tv. Tremendous cast of top British actors and actresses bringing Robert Graves' historical tour-de-force to the small screen in a fascinating way. Interesting from start to finish. The mother from Hell, Livia is one of tv's greatest villains as well. War, treachery, lust, power, betrayal, murder, insanity, political gamesmanship - as timely as today!

SuperRog
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Pete & Gladys? I wish I could see that show again. I remember when I was a boy, we named a pair of beagles Pete & Gladys so we obviously must've liked that show. I can't really remember it now.

Greypilgrim
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Rogmeister
Apr 4 2008, 04:51 PM
Pete & Gladys? I wish I could see that show again. I remember when I was a boy, we named a pair of beagles Pete & Gladys so we obviously must've liked that show. I can't really remember it now.

My family had a bassett hound named "Cleo" after Jackie Cooper's "talking" dog on "The People's Choice" . :lol:

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Saw the first episode of Father Knows Best last night. Bud had invited some girl to a dance, but didn't know how to dance and so had locked himself in the basement. Meanwhile, the girl was locked in HER basement cause SHE didn't know how to dance. So Robert Young taught both of them to waltz.

It was like the Stepford Wives of sitcoms. Kinda creepy. Ain't Elinor Donahue a honey, though?

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Had a little TV marathon last night with three shows from this century, in color and everything.

American Dreams deals with a Catholic family in Philadelphia in the 1960s. The daughter dances on Bandstand, the father tries to keep the iron grip on his family that he thinks fathers are s'posed to have, the mother tries to burst out of the constrictive 1950s housewife mold, and the two sons... well, they're around. Fun stuff, with great music and a lot of singers portraying other singers on Bandstand (last night, we got Ashanti as Dionne Warwick doing "Walk On By"). The show ran for a few years (three?) but only the first season's on DVD.

The Sarah Silverman Program is a disappointment; the shoehorning of her narcissistic, nutty character into a sitcom plot misfires badly, although each episode does have a few laughs in it, albeit usually obvious ones.

Flight of the Conchords I like much better; a clueless singing duo from New Zealand and their clueless manager come to New York, where they have girl problems, apartment problems, and problems with their "fan base" (her name is Mel). The songs range from daffy sweet to daffy stupid, but this show is worth checking out.

kirgo2
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
I found a VHS tape full of episodes of "Mike Hammer" starring Darren McGavin and "Peter Gunn" with Craig Stevens. I recorded these when they were shown on the Encore Mystery Channel a few years ago.
I'm dubbing these to DVD and have really enjoyed the "Hammer" episodes. They're a far cry from the Spillane novels but McGavin is good as usual. So far, I've come across 2 entries directed by William Witney and an episode with Anna May Wong and Keye Luke that was helmed by John English.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Twonkyville Tuner · Next Topic »
Add Reply