Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Captain Marvel; to buy or not to buy?
Topic Started: Jul 3 2008, 04:33 AM (4,123 Views)
robnilli
Balcony Baby
[ * ]
just like to pick the brains of the forum.

would this serial be a good purchase (has a couple of good reviews online) and what is the transfer like?

and most important at all is this title likely to have an upgrade in the future because if it is then i'll hold fast for the moment? there's so much other stuff to get through!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

rodney
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Yes, this is a great serial. Artisan put it out. Their print is very good. If you choose to buy from a dealer, make sure they use a laser disc transfer.

AndyFish
Member Avatar
Movie Watcha Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
To me this is a no brainer. If Adventures of Captain Marvel isn't the best serial ever produced, it's certainly in the top three. The Artisan DVD transfer is excellent and I highly doubt there will be a special edition of this anytime soon.
Andy
www.andytfish.com

KanSmiley
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I can't add anything to what Rodney and Andy have already said. It's a very good serial and since you don't have it I would make it the next serial you buy.

Kan
http://www.saturday-matinee-memories.com/

intoxicated, adj.: When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

riddlerider
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
robnilli
Jul 3 2008, 04:33 AM
just like to pick the brains of the forum.

would this serial be a good purchase (has a couple of good reviews online) and what is the transfer like?

and most important at all is this title likely to have an upgrade in the future because if it is then i'll hold fast for the moment? there's so much other stuff to get through!

It's very unlikely you're going to see an upgrade. The Artisan release didn't sell well enough to justify bringing out a remastered or enhanced edition. Get it while you can!

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
It's a fun serial. The Artisan release is nothing special, but we're unlikely to see a better one.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

robnilli
Balcony Baby
[ * ]
thanks for the (very quick!) replies... it unaminous then... i'm off shopping!

KanSmiley
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
robnilli
Jul 3 2008, 11:35 AM
thanks for the (very quick!) replies... it unaminous then... i'm off shopping!

Now just a minute robnilli. After all this great advice (and free at that) I think it's only fair you invite us all over for popcorn and a soda while we all watch Captain Marvel.

Kan
http://www.saturday-matinee-memories.com/

intoxicated, adj.: When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

robnilli
Balcony Baby
[ * ]
well... i'll have to check with the missus but i'm sure she'll be cool :lol: - it would be an expensive ticket for you guys over the pond though!

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
We just say "Shazam!" and fly over. It's an American thing. We even take the short cut around the Rock of Eternity. We can be there pretty darn quick. Will you serve bangers and mash?
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Sgt King
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
And mr. robnill . . . after you get Captain Marvel and view it, please let us know what you think of it.

robnilli
Balcony Baby
[ * ]
we do bangers and mash... with red onion 'gravy' - yum!

robnilli
Balcony Baby
[ * ]
i'll get back to you with a uk opinion on Cap M... but it may take awhile i've got a backlog of stuff to catch up on from the 30s and 40s as well as the nosferatu restoration... which is a crime that its still on my shelf unwatched.

marlin lee
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Just to throw it into the mix, at one time The Serial Squadron released a copy of Captain Marvel which was better than the Artisan release. The Artisan copy is plenty good enough. But if you happen to find someone willing to part with the Squadron version it is better.

rodney
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Kino Lorber has announced that this will be their second serial release on Blu Ray.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Continued Next Week · Next Topic »
Add Reply