Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Billy Joel Animus – Howcum?
Topic Started: Mar 9 2009, 05:29 PM (3,650 Views)
mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Let me preface this thread by stating that I am no fan of Mr. Joel. Primarily, this is because all of his “original” songs seem to remind me of songs previously written by other writers. On the other hand, I certainly don’t hate him. But, a lot of other people (mostly males, I’m guessing) seem to feel great antipathy towards the lad… and I’m wondering why. How does this guy seem to generate such negative passion?

There recently was an article out on the web (somewhere) and the thrust of it was why the writer hated (& I believe he used that word… several times) Billy Joel. When I finished the article, I didn’t feel I had any better handle on the author’s rancor than I did before I started. He spent at least one paragraph deriding Joel’s smug superiority and then destroyed his position by admitting that Bob Dylan also displayed the same trait. Seems it was okay if Mr. Zimmerman did it… but not okay if Mr. Joel engaged in the same practice. Why, he never explained.

At any rate, if you hate Billy Joel, please explain to me how you can feel that strongly about a singer/musician. Hell, I don’t care much for Lawrence Welk or The Rolling Stones, but I’ve never felt any hatred towards the gentlemen!!
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stony Brooke da Mesquiteer
Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
I like Joel, but then again, I like commercial jingles, so I can't help ya Mort.
It's like Rodney King used to say, "Can't we all get a bong."

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Probably explainable by the cross-hatches on your head (you got the waffle iron too hot)!!!
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
"Hate" is too strong a word. I will fight back the urge to quote Bogart on Lorre and just say I'm dismissive of Mr. Joel's body of work, which is crap. Nothing original in it anywhere, and nothing of interest at all.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

I like Billy Joel, enjoy many of his songs, and haven't wasted my time trying to find out if he is an egotistical jerk or anything.

I'm sure most "artists", from Brian Wilson to Brian Jones, have an ego. And they've all made their share of "bad" music, which mostly boils down to the fact the person who says it's "bad" music just happens not to like it.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The article mentioned above does a fine job in isolating just exactly what makes Billy Joel such an abomination, like a 12-minute joke that has no punchline. Link: http://www.slate.com/id/2209526/
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Don't need to read the article. The point is, if you don't like the music, then the joke is funny. More important things to worry about. Don't like it, don't listen to it.

That's why I don't own any Brian Wilson.

Edited by The Batman, Mar 10 2009, 08:01 AM.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Re-reading the fine article, Mort, the author DID explain the difference between Dylan's "contempt" and Joel's:

I'm not saying, by the way, that contempt can't make for great art. Dylan's "Positively 4th Street," for example, is one of the most contemptuous songs ever written, but it redeems itself through the joyfulness of its black-humored eloquence and wit.

To which I'll add:

A: "Eloquence and wit"
Q: "Name two things you'll never find in a Billy Joel song, Alex."

Or maybe I should just leave it at "JFK / Blown away / What else do I have to say?"

Chandu
Member Avatar
Champeen of Justice and Seeker of Knowledge, but rascal at heart!
[ *  *  * ]
As far as I'm concerned, he can't sing, isn't funny and has an overall sleazy quality about him. I don't enjoy listening to him or watching him, so I avoid both, but I don't HATE him.
Not plane, nor bird, nor even frog. It's just little ol' me...

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Laughing Gravy
Mar 10 2009, 09:51 AM
Re-reading the fine article, Mort, the author DID explain the difference between Dylan's "contempt" and Joel's:

I'm not saying, by the way, that contempt can't make for great art. Dylan's "Positively 4th Street," for example, is one of the most contemptuous songs ever written, but it redeems itself through the joyfulness of its black-humored eloquence and wit.
Sounds like elitist twaddle to me... but I really don't value Dylan any more than I value Joel.
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."

Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
Does anyone value these great lyrics?

If you knew Peggy Sue - then you’d know why I feel blue
without Peggy - my Peggy Sue
oh well, I love you gal - yes, I love you Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue, Peggy Sue - oh how my heart yearns for you
oh Peggy - my Peggy Sue
oh well, I love you gal - yes, I love you Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue, Peggy Sue - pretty pretty pretty pretty Peggy Sue
oh Peggy - my Peggy Sue
oh well, I love you gal and I need you Peggy Sue

I love you Peggy Sue - with a love so rare and true
oh Peggy - my Peggy Sue
well I love you gal - I want you Peggy Sue

***SOLO***

Peggy Sue, Peggy Sue
pretty pretty pretty pretty Peggy Sue
oh Peggy - my Peggy Sue
oh well, I love you gal and I need you Peggy Sue

I love you Peggy Sue - with a love so rare and true
oh Peggy - my Peggy Sue
well I love you gal - I want you Peggy Sue

oh well, I love you gal and I want you Peggy Sue

Bland is a word that comes to mind, and that's my way of not being crass. Why don't I want to be crass today? Hell, if I can figure it out.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Inexcusible. First of all, you left out the beat. Secondly, comparing Buddy Holly - who influenced countless musicians in his brief career/life - with Billy Joel is like comparing a kiss with a paper cut. Third, Buddy Holly's unpretentious music and sense of fun are exactly what is missing in Joel's oeuvre of worthless shit.

Mort: I love and treasure Bob Dylan. I do disagree with the author of the article on one thing though: Billy Joel's not worth writing an article about. The author should've gone outside and planted a tree or something else productive with his time.

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Sheeeesh, Gravy, I'd love to read your comments about the music of someone you really did hate!!! :D
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."

Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
Laughing Gravy
Mar 10 2009, 09:51 AM
Or maybe I should just leave it at "JFK / Blown away / What else do I have to say?"
I thought we were talking lyrics now.

I'll admit that I'm baffled at the guy writin' books about Shakespeare and Hitler, then writing an article on BJ. He must've listened to a bit of BJ's music to have such insight! I can tell ya that if I don't like an artist, I sure as hell don't listen to their music and try an figure out why. I don't like em', so's I don't listen to em'. Weird cat if ya ask me.

Gravy, you seem to have some knowledge of BJ's music too. Why?

panzer the great & terrible
Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
Good point, Stony. With me, I either love an artist or I'm indifferent, and the lyrics have nothing to do with it. If they did, I wouldn't love The Band. How about this example of Mr. Robertson's art:

Little John was stung by a snake
Over by the lake
And I think he was really, really hurt
He was lying in the dirt

And so on and so on and so on until you want to hurl.

Smokey Robinson has written plenty of lyrics almost as awful as that, yet he's one of my favorite artists.

Even the great Ira Gershwin perpetrated some unnecessarily cute lyrics, and so did Lorenz Hart. There's awful stuff in Cole Porter too. Oh, you don't think so? How 'bout "Night and day, under the hide of me, there's an oh, such a yearning burning inside of me..."? Want a list of what's wrong with that?

This stuff is pop music, not William Blake, and we'd know it if there hadn't been so much pretentious crap in magazines.

A rock band I could try to make a case for as poets is the Stones. Randy Newman has some good light verse. Those are the only two I can think of off the bat. In country there's Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, and whoever wrote "The Dance" for Garth Brooks.

Billy Joel? I've only heard one song and it made no impression on me, good or bad, but I think maybe I'll try to find a used LP and check him out. Generally a guy has to be pretty good to make people hate him.
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Balcony Jukebox · Next Topic »
Add Reply