Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Angels and Demons; ...not as bad as I expected
Topic Started: May 25 2009, 10:32 AM (399 Views)
panzer the great & terrible
Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
I kinda liked it, although I hated The Da Vinci Code. The plot has holes you could drive a herd of elephants through, and the ending is a massive cheat, but it's much more well-paced than most Ron Howard pictures, and it's even exciting in places. You guess the bad guy halfway through, but then the movie keeps giving you reasons why he it can't be him, along with hints that it is -- so you keep thinking, maybe the twist will be that it's somebody else. Kept me, well, not guessing exactly, but not sure either. The whole movie could be described as the biggest red herring since The Usual Suspects, so if that's what you enjoy, by all means see this. Rome looks great in color, and the Fathers of the Church are treated with surprising respect. It's pretty serial-like for a mainstream picture, especially because the bad guy's scheme makes zero sense, and even if it did, is too risky. Good popcorn flick. Three stars.
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

I read THE DAVINCI CODE and found it to be enjoyable, if badly written, pulp. I could not get through the movie version.

I have ANGELS & DEMONS, haven't read yet, but I am glad to hear the movie version will be fun, at least.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

Black Tiger
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Surprisingly fun movie. Beautiful locales, interesting plot and execution. The filmmaking gives you the impression the story is more exciting than it is if you analyze it. Just go with the flow and you'll enjoy it. It's a puzzler with deathtraps. I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Review from a friend of mine:

I loved the movie last night. You need to understand, I wouldn't go see the DaVinci Code and thought that was the weakest (and last) of the four books I read by Dan Brown. This book might be my favorite. I have long loved the pageantry and ritual of the Catholic Church. I have always seen the church as flawed by the frailties of man, but am in awe of the history that is preserved by the Vatican. I know this is fiction, but with enough factual data used to make the book interesting.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

panzer the great & terrible
Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
Yep, I'll go with that. Funny thing: the Duchess and I were in Rome two summers ago and went to almost all the locations they used in the movie. Made it tremendous fun.

I agree: it's about the first pro-Catholic movie I ever saw. and that's cool. I know a lot of extremely nice, dedicated and idealistic people who work for the church, especially Jesuits, and the abuse they endure is sickening.
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...

MovieMan
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
The Batman
May 25 2009, 10:56 AM
I read THE DAVINCI CODE and found it to be enjoyable, if badly written, pulp. I could not get through the movie version.

I have ANGELS & DEMONS, haven't read yet, but I am glad to hear the movie version will be fun, at least.

I've not read any of the books, but have seen all three movies - the first one is the best.

« Previous Topic · Nouvelle Balcony · Next Topic »
Add Reply