Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fu Mangrood!
Topic Started: Mar 13 2010, 05:46 PM (21,417 Views)
mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Well, somebody’s gotta do it (I guess). Seems the grood Dr. is advertising that he has a decent print of DRUMS OF FU MANCHU. I didn’t get jazzed about his LONE RANGER ‘cause I had seen a fairly decent print of the feature version and didn’t like it as much as I thought I ought to (not sure anything would’ve lived up to the expectations from my youth).

This is different. I got VCI’s version & the gawd-awful print really turned me off. BUT, I could tell that a pretty good film lay underneath all that gunk (the fact that they started the serial with an, expensive to film, rain scene impressed the hell outa me).

Fortunately (for me), I never got roped into any of Grood’s projects. I did get some product from him which I enjoyed a lot (VANISHING SHADOW, GANGBUSTERS & I’m that one person who actually found his version of PHANTOM EMPIRE an improvement).

So, although I truly feel much more of a kinship with the folks here who DID get ripped-off, I’ve arrived at that curious moral dilemma where what I want….. really would go against what people I care for DON’T want (sighhhhhhhhhh)!!!
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Chandu
Member Avatar
Champeen of Justice and Seeker of Knowledge, but rascal at heart!
[ *  *  * ]
That's good news to me! I'm still pledged for a SS Fu Manchu serial.

As far as SS productions go, if theirs is the best print available, I'll buy it in a heartbeat and not look back. Grood has never done anything to me personally and although I do sympathize with the feelings of those he has harmed, I don't believe a SS boycott is in order, nor have they asked us for one.
Not plane, nor bird, nor even frog. It's just little ol' me...

Stony Brooke da Mesquiteer
Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
I haven't been ripped off by Grood, but I feel his handling of The Masked Rider was unscrupulous.

I say go for it mort, but let the buyer beware.
It's like Rodney King used to say, "Can't we all get a bong."

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Mar 13 2010, 07:16 PM
I haven't been ripped off by Grood, but I feel his handling of The Masked Rider was unscrupulous.
Oh, I DO too. And, I realized after I had written the above post, that it might look like I was asking for approval to buy the damn thing. I definitely wasn't. I was just amused by another moral quagmire that I found myself in.

Funny thing is that I just might not buy it anyway. Somehow or other, my ardor for serials just ain't what it used to be.
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."

KanSmiley
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
mort bakaprevski
Mar 13 2010, 07:35 PM
Mar 13 2010, 07:16 PM
Oh, I DO too. And, I realized after I had written the above post, that it might look like I was asking for approval to buy the damn thing. I definitely wasn't. I was just amused by another moral quagmire that I found myself in.

Funny thing is that I just might not buy it anyway. Somehow or other, my ardor for serials just ain't what it used to be.
Mort: I would have to agree with you. Fifteen years or so ago when I first discovered VCI serials in a Suncoast Video Store a flame was lit in me. I could remember those Saturday afternoons 50 years ago and all the fun we all had as kids. I bought every serial I could find. As better ones came out I upgraded. Somehow in the last 3 or 4 years the flame has dimmed considerably. I rarely buy a serial anymore and have not sit down to watch one in several months. I buy individual movies now and then when I see one that really strikes my fancy but I think serials have lost their luster for me.

Smiley
http://www.saturday-matinee-memories.com/

intoxicated, adj.: When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

panzer the great & terrible
Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
That's how it is with me. I was a total serial nut for a while, but no longer watch 'em. After 9/11 they stopped being funny and started being a reminder of how bad things are. On the other hand, Fu is my favorite of all serials, and I gave my copy away the first time Grood claimed he had it, about 10 years ago, so this here is a quandary. Since I'll never give him a chance to rob me again I guess the solution is to buy it from whoever rips Grood off. And I would like to warn one and all not to send him money until you know he really is selling something more than a pipe dream. He is a liar and a thief -- let the buyer beware, like the man said.

Love your martini quote, mort. Truer words were never spoke.
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...

Frank Hale
[ *  *  * ]
Like just about everything else in life, serials are fun in moderation and if you’re in the mood (same as Columbia film noirs?)

I won’t be giving Eric any more money, but I wouldn’t try to dissuade anyone else from dealing with him if he has a finished product for sale.

Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
Yeah, but that's a big if. You never know with him until somebody takes the plunge, and it never will be me again. I would be ashamed to say how much he ripped me off for, and now, on a fixed income after two "W" recessions in a row, I could use them buckaroos.

Quote:

I won’t be giving Eric any more money, but I wouldn’t try to dissuade anyone else from dealing with him

Why not? Do friends let friends get robbed? Usually you're the voice of reason, something I often sorely need, but this time you've lost me, Frank.

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
It's always tricky. There a several DVD labels I won't touch unless a specific release has gotten sterling reviews from unimpeachable sources (Not Amazon ratings with dubious screen names and lines like "AMAZING SUPER QUALITY a really good film for families don't believe the family-hating liars who post here").

Nice thing about this crowd is that they're VERY picky. If somebody here says a title is just adequate, I know it'll probably be better than half the stuff I own.

Frank Hale
[ *  *  * ]
Sorry, Paul, I didn’t mean that as a comment on you. Please continue to flail away.

I’m personally just extremely tired of the Eric situation. He’s earned enough bad kharma for 20 people and doesn’t need me piling on any more. In fact, I prefer not to think of him at all.

Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

Nice thing about this crowd is that they're VERY picky. If somebody here says a title is just adequate, I know it'll probably be better than half the stuff I own.

That's so true. When I started with serials, I'd buy just any copy because I figured it was all junk anyway. As time went on, I noticed that I enjoyed good prints more than poor ones, and from then on i was picky too. Eventually it gets to you.

Frank, I suppose I am silly to let resentment fester, but Eric is the only person who ever successfully ripped me off. It hecks with my self-esteem that somebody did. Just hate to admit I'm human, I suppose.

rodney
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Let's wait til it actually comes out, then fret over if it should be released or not.

Hasn't Grood been trying to gather money for Fu Manchu for years?

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Mar 14 2010, 07:20 AM
Love your martini quote, mort. Truer words were never spoke.
James Thurber!
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."

Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

Hasn't Grood been trying to gather money for Fu Manchu for years?

It's Riddle Rider's story, but basically Grood promised something he didn't have. Big news there.

Barcroft
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Mort,
If you are talking about VCI's copy of The Drums of Fu Manchu I've always thought that there DVD release was the best available. I have over the years bought a couple different copies of Drums from Fred Shay everytime he had what was supposed to be a better copy. Until someone finds a fine grain 35MM print I'm sticking with the VCI version and Grood can take his copy and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.
Barcroft

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Continued Next Week · Next Topic »
Add Reply