Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Stagecoach (1939)
Topic Started: Jun 11 2010, 10:04 PM (322 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Well, I'm not gonna review the whole film... we've all seen it. As mentioned, I love the new Criterion Blu-ray edition; it's not pristine, but it's as good as this film has ever looked, and it's packed with bonus material, including a silent Ford western that I loved, too.

The FNF gang really enjoyed it, thought John Wayne had a "great butt" (well, the two women said that, I hadn't noticed) and enjoyed that it was different from our usual fare. Thomas Mitchell's drunken doctor was the hit of the evening, no doubt, and nobody recognized Cap'n Marvel as the lead villain.

The cartoon was "Waitin' for Satan" or something like that; Sylvester dies and goes to hell and the devil (a big red bulldog) talks him into wasting his other 8 lives trying to catch Tweety. Funny stuff, very colorful. An episode of the Shadow and a pair of highly enjoyable 1928 musical shorts (one with Van & Schenck and one with Fuzzy Knight) rounded out the evening. Oh, that and a trailer for our next attraction.... a little something based on a famous work by Agatha Christie...
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Roger Ebert adds Stagecoach to his "Great Films":

http://rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110801/REVIEWS08/110809999

"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Don Diego
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
One thig I do not understand about this film is that TCM Canada cannot broadcast Stagecoach in Canada - Go Figure??

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
I'm sure it's an issue of rights. It's amazing how many films are restricted in one way or another in various countries because of disputes around legal rights.
You can't get there from here.

andarius
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
John Wayne cocks his (one in one thousand?) Winchester in a very stylish way, lol - more stylish than Chuck! :D

Capt. Marvel also had a similar dandy encounter with Errol Flynn - I suspect Flynn missed when he tried to holster his piece in that scene! B)

MaryGH
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang
[ *  * ]
andarius
Aug 9 2011, 12:43 AM
John Wayne cocks his (one in one thousand?) Winchester in a very stylish way, lol - more stylish than Chuck! :D

Capt. Marvel also had a similar dandy encounter with Errol Flynn - I suspect Flynn missed when he tried to holster his piece in that scene! B)
So it's not just me who finds so many similarities between Luke Plummer and Lafe McWilliams. :)

Yes "Stagecoach" is considered one of the greatest westerns, all factor notwithstanding, and I have heard plenty about Tom Tyler's onscreen time, brief as it was, he definitely makes the most of it. The way he uses his facial expressions and body language, stemmed from his silent film career as leading man in B-westerns for FBO.
Petition: Turner Entertainment/Warner Brothers: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's surviving FBO silent film westerns

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/650/139/217/turner-entertainmentwarner-brothers-please-digitize-tom-tylers-surviving-fbo-silent-films/

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Tumbleweed Terrace · Next Topic »
Add Reply