Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nocturne (1946); Raft Going Straight
Topic Started: Jul 23 2010, 10:31 AM (342 Views)
Chandu
Member Avatar
Champeen of Justice and Seeker of Knowledge, but rascal at heart!
[ *  *  * ]
I watched This film, starring George Raft, I'd DVR'd off of TCM some time ago, last night. According to Robert Osborne, Raft was tired of being stereotyped as a gangster and was trying to "go straight" and find other types of roles when this film was made. In it, he plays a lead detective's partner. The lead detective is played by Walter Sande, the only other cast member I recognized besides co-star, Lynn Bari. I'm sure you guys would recognize several more, though. Anyway, a real cad is bumped off and it's made to look like a suicide. Everybody's buying the suicide angle and even those who aren't sure are willing to go along with it because the victim was such a heel. Raft concludes it was murder though, and continues to seek out truth and justice, eventually getting himself suspended from the Police Force.

About a half an hour into this thing the thought occurred to me that I could've been watching an early Dragnet episode. All the derisive comments I've recently read here about Raft apply and I wondered if Raft hadn't been Jack Webb's acting hero? The two seem interchangeable to me. Bari plays a sophisticated lady well and there are enough plot twists to keep this thing interesting, even though I was able to figure out the general ending before it happened. It kept my attention for an hour and a half and although I'm easily amused, what more can ya ask?
Not plane, nor bird, nor even frog. It's just little ol' me...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Inspector Carr
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I've always like this film. it has it's few dark moments however I liked the fact that George Raft's character lives with his mother...which I found a bit off beat for a noir detective film.
"Life is a Crapshoot however you need a pair of dice to participate"

rodney
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

My favorite way to go into a movie is to know nothing about it. I went into this one knowing it had George Raft (whom I don't care for) and Lynn Bari (whom I do), and that's about it.

What you get is a fun little movie with a few twists, some great characters and the typical mid-40's RKO noir dialogue, which is A-Okay with me. It's no forgotten classic, but it IS a good movie, and sometimes that's enough.

I dug it and if you hang around here, you probably will too.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

I'm a minor George Raft fan. And, coincidentally, I am currently compiling a list of "film noir" films, though that list may will end up being broader than the definition it intends to categorize. No matter, I find many of the "B" crime films that get lumped in with the noirs to be very fun, so it's all good on that front.

Back to the list, just working on the N's now and I see that NOCTURNE is part of the list I am working off of. Looking forward to checking it out.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Chandu
Jul 23 2010, 10:31 AM
The lead detective is played by Walter Sande....
Red Pennington???
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
I've had this for a long time and never quite pulled the trigger on it 'cause it always got edged out at the latest minute by some late-arriving noir on Blu-ray but I'm going to schedule it for the next few weeks and we'll see how it goes. Thank you!
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Sgt Saturn
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Inspector Carr
Aug 23 2010, 10:01 AM
... George Raft's character lives with his mother...which I found a bit off beat for a noir detective film.
I am reminded that Detective Joe Friday also lived with his mother (at least on the radio version of Dragnet).
The Ol' Sarge

« Previous Topic · The Dark Aisle · Next Topic »
Add Reply