Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Macabre (1958)
Topic Started: May 20 2011, 05:29 PM (1,362 Views)
AndyFish
Member Avatar
Movie Watcha Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
A small-town doctor (William Prince) gets caught up in a revenge plot when his small daughter is kidnapped and buried alive as he is given a few short hours to find her before she suffocates. To cover the risk of a heart attack while viewing the film, Producer-Director William Castle provided each member of the audience with an official certificate issued by Lloyds of London to insure them for $1,000 against death by fright.

I liked this-- Castle's films are always pretty crazy but I liked this one. The plot is all over the place, Jim Backus takes a break from his John Kerry impression (Thurston Howell III) to play a tough small town sheriff. Kept me entertained all the way through, although my lovely wife didn't share my appreciation for it.
www.andytfish.com
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
This is one of 3 or 4 movies that we've had scheduled for FNF but cancelled because I showed the trailer a week earlier and nobody wanted to see it. *L* Maybe I'll try again.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

AndyFish
Member Avatar
Movie Watcha Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Keep in mind, LG, Mrs Fish thought it wasn't amazing. But no one can say it isn't entertaining-- and when it gets going it really pops.
www.andytfish.com

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
What'd you think of FOOD OF THE GODS? That's another one that got cancelled due to lack of trailer enthusiasm...
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

andarius
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Laughing Gravy
May 22 2011, 08:31 AM
This is one of 3 or 4 movies that we've had scheduled for FNF but cancelled because I showed the trailer a week earlier and nobody wanted to see it. *L* Maybe I'll try again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYmmw04j3oc

Too scary, I guess!

I saw a film called Macabre, but it was an Italian Edgar Allan Poe movie with a pretty girl wandering around a spooky house in her nightie; until I saw the Castle trailer, for a few minutes I was under the false impression it may have been the Castle picture.

Interesting pronunciation of "macabre" in the trailer! :D

panzer the great & terrible
Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
A girl wandering around a house at night in her nightie? What an original idea. Must see that.

Explanation for the young: Every other B picture in the early Sixties was like that. For that matter, every Gothic novel around 1820 was like that too, and often they still are. The Goosebumps books are like that too. It's a cliché with legs (and of course a nightie).
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...

andarius
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
May 22 2011, 06:41 PM
A girl wandering around a house at night in her nightie? What an original idea. Must see that.

Explanation for the young: Every other B picture in the early Sixties was like that. For that matter, every Gothic novel around 1820 was like that too, and often they still are. The Goosebumps books are like that too. It's a cliché with legs (and of course a nightie).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPirho0nzYM&feature=player_detailpage#t=184s

It was called Horror not Macabre as I thought.
Warning - boring trailer! :o

Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu is a Gothic novel about a vampire lady that precedes Dracula and is highly erotic - I read a download and complained to the local vicar!

Must check out the Goosebumps TV show for nighties so I can tell Stony! :D
Edited by andarius, May 23 2011, 12:33 AM.

Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
Warning! It's little kids in nighties. Not quite what you're looking for.
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...

Stony Brooke da Mesquiteer
Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
andarius
May 23 2011, 12:31 AM
Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu is a Gothic novel about a vampire lady that precedes Dracula and is highly erotic - I read a download and complained to the local vicar!

I wanna read that Fanu book.

Yo, And dare 'e us,

My kids are 19 and 16 (actually 13 days away from 16) and I'm aware of Goosebumps. Scary stuff for kids! There otta be a law!

'ows the Vicar? 'ave your knuckles 'ealed from the latest caning? :P
It's like Rodney King used to say, "Can't we all get a bong."

AndyFish
Member Avatar
Movie Watcha Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
FOOD OF THE GODS is bad 70s, not FRANKENSTEIN VS DRACULA bad mind you, but more Damian Omen II type bad. It's pretty schlocky and the effects are laughable but if your audience digs things like Snowbeast (1977) or Grizzly (Or is it Night of the Grizzly) they might like it.
www.andytfish.com

andarius
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
May 23 2011, 06:15 AM
Warning! It's little kids in nighties. Not quite what you're looking for.
Listen, Panzer - have you ever heard of older playing younger?

Posted Image

In the BBC's Waterloo Road, Linzey Cocker (22) plays the headmistress's daughter, Jess (16)!
Whatd'ya reckon? ;)

I was very interested in the BBC's Cave Girl, but she was only about 12! :(
But her mum was tasty and had enormous er great big er a striking stage presence! ;)

Goosebumps looks like a lost cause! :'(

andarius
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
May 23 2011, 08:06 AM
andarius
May 23 2011, 12:31 AM

I wanna read that Fanu book.

Yo, And dare 'e us,

My kids are 19 and 16 (actually 13 days away from 16) and I'm aware of Goosebumps. Scary stuff for kids! There otta be a law!

'ows the Vicar? 'ave your knuckles 'ealed from the latest caning? :P
Read Camilla, Stony, it's very good - quite short, but good and The Vampire Lovers is very close to the book!

The local vicar doesn't chastise me, but says,

Ohhhhhhhh! Thank you, my son, I shall pray for them!

Dangerous stuff, some of it -I told Edgar the gravedigger (95) about Ashlynn and after I'd gone, Edgar thought about Ashlynn and had a seizure and fell into the grave he was digging hurting his leg!
He was laid up for TWO WEEKS and his wife, Agnes (97) was FURIOUS with me because, as you know Stony, a wife has needs! :D

Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
Edgar should have married a woman name o' Lenore.

andarius
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
May 23 2011, 02:43 PM
Edgar should have married a woman name o' Lenore.
Posted Image

Lenore? PHWOAR! :$

Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
Ahhh, my 2 favorite "B"s-- Boris and bondage (not together please).

As for Macabre, I need to see it, since I've watch 13 Ghosts and The Tingler the past 2 weeks. Mr. Castles films are available to see on Fearnet, via mt cable system's Xfinity On Demand. Both films were fun, although cheesy, and that Martin Milner should have been behind bars instaed of cruisin' the streets in a police car.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Monogram Week · Next Topic »
Add Reply