Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
You HAVE to see this...
Topic Started: Nov 18 2011, 11:31 AM (5,176 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Just arrived In The Balcony, a gift from a friend in NY who found it in an attic. It's for the 1939 French classic (a film I love, remade with Henry Fonda, which is a good film, too). This is massive, measuring 60x45. Beautiful!

Posted Image
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
My sister painted this for my son Bone Gravy!

Posted Image
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

AndyFish
Member Avatar
Movie Watcha Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Both are amazing!
www.andytfish.com

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I scored some old newspaper movie stuff from the '20s and '30 this weekend, including this Sept. 1928 pull-out section, four pages on The Jazz Singer's premiere. I framed it already.

Posted Image

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

That is pretty darn cool.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

Frank Hale
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Except that it's missing "Warner Bros.' Supreme Triumph!" splashed across the top.

Well, I guess the Herald Tribune couldn’t do that.

BTW I read the Herald Tribune pretty consistently on Sundays in the early 60's. It couldn’t compete with the Times, but it was an enjoyable rag. Unfortunately, the '62-63 strikes effectively killed it (and a lot of other things.)

panzer the great & terrible
Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
I liked the Trib better than the Times. It had comics. Especially Barnaby.
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Scored a bunch of GREAT books today. First, a haul of Big Little Books (and a Saalfield) for as low as $2.50 each, all in good conditions with intact spine - I can read the darn things!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then, somebody donated dozens of theatrical books to the used book store, and most of 'em ended up in the .50 bin. I got - all but one still in the original dust jackets! - Much Ado About Me, Fred Allen; We Barrymores by Lionel; and several others.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
A friend of mine who cares about me picked up 28 lobby cards in NYC for $10 each from the '30s and '40s. I bought 'em sight unseen, and they're on their way to me. He said, "They're movies I've never heard of" and then reeled off the names of Eddie Cantor and Zasu Pitts from two of them. (He isn't into old films, you see.)

I told him not to tell me any more, I wanted to be surprised. I'll keep you in the loop when they arrive.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Very cool, LG. Definitely curious as to what's in that lot. Please keep us in the loop.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
We opened them last night (as part of FNF) and WOW. SCORE. I'm very pleased. The highlight of the 28 cards: three 1935 cards from Jean Arthur's breakout film! My camera phone shan't do justice to just how colorful these actually are. I'll post more cards in the future.

Posted Image

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Nice haul, LG. Would love to see all 28 posted when you get the chance.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
How's THIS for a double-feature? The marquee would say LADIES CRAVE EXCITEMENT EVERY NIGHT AT EIGHT

Posted Image

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

And as you can see, the ladies are still cravin' it. The three cards are from a 1935 Mascot picture with Norman Foster and Evelyn Knapp; so far as I can tell, all 28 of the lobby cards come from films from 1935-36, apparently somebody found a stack in an old theatre or somethin'. (And yes, the guy eating the apple is Balcony favorite Syd Saylor. *cough cough*)

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
A pair of films from 1935...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Matinee Memories · Next Topic »
Add Reply