Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Upcoming releases on the Balcony Radar
Topic Started: Jul 11 2012, 12:21 PM (29,949 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Warner Archives presents Forbidden Hollywood Vol. 5!

After the dawn of sound and before the Production Code, Hollywood ran wild and free. Fearlessly and frankly tackling subjects and scenes that would quickly become forbidden to a generation of filmmakers, these seldom-seen pre-Code wonders are both revelatory and sin-sational. This fifth volume takes a walk on the wild side with a foursome that sees Jimmy Cagney (Hard to Handle), Warren William (The Mind Reader), Barbara Stanwyck (Ladies They Talk About) and Joan Blondell (Miss Pinkerton) in tales of swindlers, crooks and crimebusters. This collection includes: Miss Pinkerton (1932), Hard to Handle (1933), Ladies They talk About (1933), The Mind Reader (1933)

TCM/Universal presents Universal Rarities Vol. 1!

Four cinematic gems from the 1930s that have been unavailable for years are coming to DVD this August in a unique collection from Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and Universal Studios Home Entertainment (USHE). Released as part of the TCM Vault Collection, the Universal Rarities: Films of the 1930s set features some of the biggest stars of the era, including W.C. Fields in Million Dollar Legs (1932), Mae West in Belle of the Nineties (1934), Jack Benny in Artists & Models (1937) and Gary Cooper and George Raft in Souls at Sea (1937).

"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
There's also a Forbidden Hollywood Volume 4 that is coming out at the same time. You can see the details on both sets at www.warnerarchive.com.
TANSTAAFL!

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Sorry, in my rush I skipped that one.

FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD COLLECTION, VOLUME 4 (1932) This fourth volume of Forbidden Hollywood shines the spotlight on some very seductive talents in a quartet of films that appropriately focus on that evergreen theme: temptation. William Powell headlines in the intoxicating Jewel Robbery (1932) opposite Kay Francis, as a roguish jewel thief who makes off with more than a bubbly and bored socialite’s j...ewels. Powell takes a more serious turn in Lawyer Man (1932) as a solicitor from the streets who is led astray by a society seductress. Joan Blondell plays his loyal Girl Friday who just may be able to save her man. Kay Francis returns to work late with David Manners in Man Wanted (1932), as a married magazine editor every bit the wolf as her masculine counterparts. All three of the preceding films also enjoy the tender touch of cinema maestro William Dieterle. Finally, a most lovely Loretta Young shines as a young musician who follows David Manners’ character to the big city to discover just why They Call It Sin (1932). From the simply frank to the jaw-droppingly shocking, this forbidden foursome promises nights of delight. Newly Remastered
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

panzer the great & terrible
Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
A most lovely Loretta Young shines? That's some heckin' great copy, Mr. "Professional." You're the guy Jack Carson used to play.
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Actually, I'm Mr. "Cut and Paste".

Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
I know that. Just teasin'.

But ya know, press agentry is as awful as ever. They have no shame. I know a lot of adjectives that might describe Miss Young, but "radiant" wouldn't occur to me.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The sole reason I post coming attractions is so that YOU can tell me which ones I should be lookin' forward to, Mr. P.

Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
I'm going to spring for the Universal Rareties, but haven't seen anything in this Forbidden Hollywood collection. I'll catch 'em on TCM and pass on my thoughts, if any -- unless
i don't like what I see.

Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
I don't like to post negative reviews. A lot of work goes into making and releasing movies, and I don't enjoy putting these workers down.

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Paul, the guys that made those rarities and Forbidden Hollywood movies are long gone so you wouldn't be offending any of them.
TANSTAAFL!

Frank Hale
[ *  *  * ]
Oh, so now we have to start saying only nice things? Dang!

Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
I'm not telling anybody what they have to do, just talking about what I try to do, Frank.

Gosh, Jazzy, I'm glad you explained that dead people are dead. Never thought of that. Apparently I failed to make my point, which was that the people who do the restorations are doing great things and deserve respect, even when they restore films I don't especially like.

I watched The Thief of Baghdad Sunday night on TCMHD and was bowled over by the print quality. We chose an excellent time to be alive.

Frank Hale
[ *  *  * ]
Watched "Souls at Sea" last night, a film I’ve always wanted to see. Pretty weak script but a nice production, directed by the reliable Henry Hathaway.

Calling the set Universal Rarities is a joke, of course, since they’re all Paramounts, but once you get past that, this looks to be a pretty nice set.

Frank Hale
[ *  *  * ]
Artists and Models turned out to be a typical Paramount revue, with some good numbers, but virtually no story line and not really what I was expecting based on Jack Benny’s involvement. The pauses for audience laughs are really noticeable.

There is a disclaimer at the start that the DVD was derived from the sole remaining “master print” (whatever that is). It’s a little rough and jumpy in places, but in pretty good shape overall.

I think my lasting impression will be that Raoul Walsh would tackle just about anything.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Warner Archive has another volume of Vitaphone musical shorts out this week, plus this collection of Vitaphone Fatty Arbuckle and Shemp Howard shorts of the early 1930s! Wow!

http://www.wbshop.com/product/the+vitaphone+comedy+collection+volume+one++roscoe+fatty+arbuckleshemp+howard+19321934+1000207456.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Balcony Banter · Next Topic »
Add Reply