Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Charley Chase Collection Vol 1
Topic Started: Jan 18 2013, 11:47 AM (481 Views)
AndyFish
Member Avatar
Movie Watcha Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Got this disc from the fine folks at ClassicFlix-- Charlie Chase Choice Collection-- the shorts look great and sometimes even approach the humor level of the worst of the Best Stooges-- how's that for faint praise? I like 'em well enough-- and Charlie had a long association directing many of the finer Moe, Larry and Curly's.

One of these days, I'm going to figure out how to put together Double Feature discs using my computer like Gravy does for his FNF-- and having shorts and cartoons on there will be an important component.

Back in the rare days of VHS I used to rent these great home-made double feature discs from Fabulous Fiction Books and they were a blast-- you'd get two or three episodes of a serial, prevues of coming attractions, some shorts, newsreels and cartoons and then a pair of B-features like Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes or Abbott and Costello. I couldn't get enough of them.

Those were the great old days!

www.andytfish.com
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Is there a program one can use? I've got my components -- cartoons, shorts, serials, B features -- and a multi-disc player; would love to set up so you don't get the generic screen and the word "LOADING" twixt reels.

The time is probably past, but I always hoped Universal would put together a set of Saturday Matinee discs. They own serials, Woody Woodpecker cartoons (suitably period if nothing else) and even newsreels. They also have definitive matinee features: Abbott & Costello, horror (monster and postwar scifi), the Maria Montez mini-epics, mysteries and other solid Bs. Oddly enough, they lack is comedy shorts.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
The Chase is on! http://www.silentcomedymafia.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2052

"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
It's HERE! What a darb!

Posted Image
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Beautiful prints and terrific shorts, some of which I hadn't seen before. Sgt. Bill Cassara and his lovely wife joined me for a marathon t'other day.

Review up at http://inthebalcony.com/

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Most of the way through the first disc; watching each and immediately repeating with commentary. A few were semi-familiar from TCM.

A note of interest that the commentary missed: Near the end of "Fifty Million Husbands", a lady addresses her lawyer as "Mr. Shipman", informs him her divorce is off and she wants her deposit back. There's an insert shot of the check, showing it's made out to "Ben Shipman". He reacts angrily to losing this fat fee.

In real life, Ben Shipman was attorney / manager to Laurel and Hardy; possibly he worked for others at Roach. I'm guessing Chase or somebody in his unit was friends with Shipman. Even back then, I don't think somebody would kid a lawyer like that unless they were very sure he would laugh rather than sue.

EDIT: In one of the later commentaries it's stated that Shipman was Hal Roach's lawyer.
Edited by CliffClaven, Feb 13 2018, 12:06 AM.

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Finished, with and without commentaries. There darn well better be a second volume.

Also, the commentaries refer to presuming existent silent shorts I've never heard of. Are they available anywhere? The DVDs I have are the two Kino Slapstick Collections, Becoming Charley Chase, and Cut to the Chase; plus two volumes of Columbia talkies.

rodney
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
There are some later silent that are under copyright and aren't generally circulating. You have all of the official releases that I have, and there are definitely some gaps, especially in 1928.
Edited by rodney, Feb 13 2018, 04:39 AM.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Funny Business · Next Topic »
Add Reply