Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Whatcha Doin'?
Topic Started: Feb 25 2013, 11:11 AM (8,505 Views)
mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Believe it or don't, I spent the weekend as a cast member in 3 performances of "Casablanca, the Musical." Granted, as one of Major Strasser's aides, I only had one line of dialogue (which I somehow failed to get a laugh out of, all three times). On the other hand I got to sing two songs with a small group & a half dozen others as part of the chorus. Oh yeah, three of my vocal arrangements were also performed (Noel Coward's "Donít Let's Be Beastly to the Germans", the ever-popular "Let's All Go to the Lobby" & "The Very Thought of You").
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Congratulations!
TANSTAAFL!

panzer the great & terrible
Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
Absolutely! Hope you had as much fun as it sounds.
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks guys!!

The biggest thrill (for me) from each performance was hearing a mixed quartet (Ready, Willing & Mabel) sing my arrangement of "The Very Thought of You" while being backed by a live big band playing Nelson Riddle's arrangement for Ella Fitzgerald.
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."

andarius
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

When you were with your boss, did you sing "Deutschland Deutschland Uber Alles" and was ya drowned out by La Marseillaise like in the movie? My mum loved that bit and would always join in and sing the chorus "Marchant! Marchant!" ever so loudly! :D

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
No, that scene wasn't included in our production.

I wasn't involved in the script at all, but since it was a total farce (Rick gets a pie in the face from Ilsa at the end), they probably figgered that sequence was too serious to mock!!
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."

andarius
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
mort bakaprevski
Feb 26 2013, 10:37 PM
No, that scene wasn't included in our production.

I wasn't involved in the script at all, but since it was a total farce (Rick gets a pie in the face from Ilsa at the end), they probably figgered that sequence was too serious to mock!!
Sounds a riot! :)

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
A riot? Well, that depends a lot on where your comedic sensibilities lie.

Let's just say that our production made the efforts of the Howard brothers look (& sound) like the height of humorous sophistication.
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Visited my old alma mater (USC) yesterday to attend the final 2012/2013 concert of The Trojan Men. It was an outdoor performance on the lawn of the A Dee Poo house & despite threatening skies, the rain held off (seems to have visited us early this morning). Thought I'd be conspicuous 'cause of my age, but I forgot there'd probably be parents (& grandparents) in abundance..... & there were.

The lads sang well & it was kinda fun wandering around & seeing what had changed & what hadn't. Incredibly, there was a lot that hadn't.
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."

Chandu
Member Avatar
Champeen of Justice and Seeker of Knowledge, but rascal at heart!
[ *  *  * ]
I had a mild heart attack last week and added to my stent collection. Back home now, getting back into my routine. A couple of med changes and encouragement to join a post-op cardiac care exercise program at the hospital, which I plan to do, but otherwise no ill effects.
Not plane, nor bird, nor even frog. It's just little ol' me...

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Glad to hear you're back on the horse, Chandy.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Glad to hear the end result was OK, Chandu. Take care of yourself.
TANSTAAFL!

Don Diego
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Glad to have you back take care

panzer the great & terrible
Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
My Dad had twenty good years after his heart attack. You do the same, Chandy.
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...

Chandu
Member Avatar
Champeen of Justice and Seeker of Knowledge, but rascal at heart!
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks for all the kind words and wishes. I'll certainly do my best to hang in there.
Not plane, nor bird, nor even frog. It's just little ol' me...

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · What else ya got? · Next Topic »
Add Reply