Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The New Frontier (1935)
Topic Started: Jun 23 2013, 01:07 PM (422 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Yeah, I watched this for the third time. So darn likeable, in its way. It's been talked 'bout 'round here (right here if you want to be specific) but not much.

Wayne's second Republic; he and his dad help some homesteaders get Out West, but when Daddy is shot in the back by Warner Richmond (a saloon owner named "Ace" of all things), Wayne sticks around long enough to (a) become the sheriff, and (b) woo Murial Evans.

Million dollar dialog: "I'll shoot that star right through him!"

John never played a nicer guy in any of his films, even helping some bad guys to some food when they attack the wagon train, guns a-blazin'. Stellar HD print from Olive. Carl Pierson directed.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SuperRog
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks for the review. I decided to order a handful of Duke's B westerns and your review convinced me to make this one of them.

Barcroft
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
The New Frontier was a continuation of the Lone Star Westerns previously produced by Monogram but now produced by Republic. It's amazing what a few extra dollars and production polish will do to a movie. One of Barcroft's faves.
Barcroft

SuperRog
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I got this movie (and six others) yesterday. I concur about the print for The New Frontier...it is excellent. I will have to order more of Olive's B-westerns.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
The New Frontier (1935) Dir. Carl L. Pierson

John Wayne was still treading water on Poverty Row (24 films made at Monogram and Republic from late 1933 through the end of 1936) when he turned out The New Frontier (not to be confused with the 1939 film New Frontier, also starring Wayne and also filmed at Republic – you’d think somebody would’ve noticed something like that), a typically short (55 min.) low-budget Western that, in its way, really delivers the goods.

Wayne’s a wagon master leading his train through hostile territory, but the Indians aren’t nearly as perilous as Warner Richmond and his gang of gunslingers, who rule the frontier town with iron fist and steel bullet. The Duke isn’t too interested in the town’s politics until his old pappy is shot in the back, and y'know, there’s a reason B-Westerns are so short... Wayne's daddy was shot in the back at the 13 min. mark. Does anybody REALLY think the Duke ain't a-gonna catch the desperado in less than 35 minutes??? Then all hell breaks loose, literally, as the town goes up in flames during a fiery gun battle between Our Side and Their Doomed Side.

Nice supporting cast ("If he comes back here again I'll shoot that star right through him!" - Nasty Richmond, speaking of Sheriff Wayne) including charming little leading lady, Muriel Evans, who is given absolutely nothing to do but look pretty, and she does that well.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

« Previous Topic · Tumbleweed Terrace · Next Topic »
Add Reply