Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Whatcha buyin'?
Topic Started: Jun 7 2015, 05:09 PM (12,152 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
This here's a brand-new thread for us to talk about what movies we like so much (or found so cheap) or had such interest in that we couldn't resist but bring 'em home for our very own.

Mark Evanier raved about 1776, so I picked up the Blu-ray of that. Funny, 'cause I think Evanier has lousy taste in late-night talk show hosts, movies, and soup.

The Many Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh: I always liked this one, and the Blu-ray was used and cheap.

Blood Suckers/Blood Thirst: Something Weird's DVDs are always a treat, a pair of usually-lousy movies and a couple of hours of shorts, radio ads, tons of trailers, and the like. I'm unfamiliar with these films, but the former has Patrick Macnee and Peter Cushing(!) and the latter, um, does not. And it was under five bucks.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

panzer the great & terrible
Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
I just got World For Ransom and Vera Cruz in Blu, and love them both...but you know how I am about Robert Aldrich.
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Laughing Gravy
Jun 7 2015, 05:09 PM
Funny, 'cause I think Evanier has lousy taste in late-night talk show hosts, movies, and soup.
Mark's a good writer & I enjoy his blog (or whatever it is), but his interests (Borscht-belt comedians, Las Vegas, late-nite talk shows & musical theatre) are not mine. Oh yeah, I tried his much heralded tomato soup @ Soup Plantation & was sorely disappointed.
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I told him the soup was lousy; he ignored me. *L* On the other hand, the salad - which he never talks about - is excellent there, amongst the best salad I've ever had at a restaurant.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

El Shaitan
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Recently picked with money from rolling some quarters and other change, something I do because I'm cheap, the Criterion Island of Lost Souls, Little Caeser on blu ray, SOS Coast Guard, and Mad Women of the Lost Mesa.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
El Shaitan
Jun 8 2015, 05:35 PM
Recently picked with money from rolling some quarters and other change, something I do because I'm cheap

That's not cheap, it's being fiscally responsible. Money is money.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
Who knew?

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Jun 8 2015, 06:36 PM
Who knew?

Well, me, for starters. Sure, I became a billionaire when my father reached for that gun (dammit, dad, they were just pearls and easily replaceable), but I didn't stay one by squandering pennies.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The Great Gildersleeve Movie Collection arrived today from Warner Archives.

rodney
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I bought Gulliver's Travels and Black & White Dreams and Technicolor Nightmares from Thunderbean on Blu a couple of weeks ago.

Then yesterday, I unexpectedly received Gangbusters and Lost City of the Jungle from Serial Squadron in the mail as a gift from someone who didn't want them anymore. I didn't pay for them, but what the hey. It's worth mentioning.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The Wrecking Crew (2014) and that two-fer of Reptilicus and Tentacles came in on BD.

I watched The Thing with Two Heads and you can read my review at http://inthebalcony.com/ if you want.

This week's To Be Watched shelf includes, let's see.

Shock Theatre: Arsenic and Old Lace
Sci-Fi: The War of the Worlds (previously postponed)
Lippert: Yes Sir, Mr. Bones!
FNF: City Lights

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Laughing Gravy
Jun 21 2015, 04:56 PM

I watched The Thing with Two Heads and you can read my review at http://inthebalcony.com/ if you want.

Thanks, LG, for the review. I've been aware of this movie for years and was always curious to see it, but never had the opportunity. I was considering the new Olive release, but had been hesitant due to Olive's high prices and lack of extras. Based on your review, and having a moderate grasp on your likes/dislikes, I'm going to take a chance on this one.

So, you know that if I hate it, it's all your fault.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
That 1939 boxed set came in on Blu-ray from Warner Bros. Better late than never.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Coffy, the new Olive Films BD.

Member Avatar
Mouth Breather
[ *  *  * ]
On The Thing With Two Heads, Gravy, I completely agree. Great movie, great disc, and still kind of timely.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Balcony Banter · Next Topic »
Add Reply