Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Oklahoma Blues (1948)
Topic Started: Nov 29 2015, 08:07 AM (285 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Oklahoma Blues (1948) Dir. Lambert Hillyer

Singin' cowboy Jimmy Wakely masquerades as a tough gunslinger called the Melody Kid(!) to help Rainbow's End, a town that's trying really, really hard to be the new county seat. The town's attempts are being undermined by I. Stanford Jolley and his head henchman, George J. Lewis. There's a pretty girl (Dub Taylor) and a comic sidekick (Virginia Belmont, and I may have mixed those two up), and an over-the-hill sheriff (Steve Clark) figuring into the plot as well. It all turns out okay, unless you're Mr. Jolley.

I don't believe I've ever seen a Jimmy Wakely movie before. He's pleasant enough, and boy, can he fight, with the help of a stuntman. He sure can kick George J. Lewis' ass, that's for sure.

Million-dollar Dialog:
The Melody Kid gives sage advice: "You don't want to be gunslingers your whole lives. Gunslingers don't live to be old men."

Dub Taylor I've always liked, not that I'd like to see him play Hamlet or anything. He's billed as Cannonball Taylor here, and y'know, I was frightfully unaware that he'd ever been a comic sidekick in B-westerns. Of course, this isn't my field of expertise anyway. (I'm not sure I have one, but if I do, B-westerns ain't it.) He's funny, even without a ventriloquist dummy or a grizzled beard. Miss Belmont is unfamiliar to me, but she's very pretty, and she sure does melt with Jimmy sings to her. But what gal wouldn't?

This is on the Monogram Cowboy Collection Vol. 1, which I just cracked open after all this time, and it's a gorgeous print. Enjoyable little western, too, if you like singin' cowboys.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Don Diego
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
I like the Jimmy Wakely films - not up to the Roy Rogers movies but descent time wasters

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I like to bring each category up to date before the end of the month, and Monogram was the only area of the site that hadn't been updated with a review or comment since October. I didn't have the stomach for a Bomba movie and I'd just watched a noir, so that left a Monogram western on my list, and I remembered I'd never opened the one and only Monogram Warner Archives Western set I owned.

See how my mind works?

Yeah, he was okay. The guy playing the sheriff was really good, too.

I feel a little sorry for the kids of 1948, though. They had to go to Saturday matinees to watch stuff like this. in a few years they'd have gotten Earth vs. the Spider and Attack of the Puppet People.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Frank Hale
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
I saw this one, too, because I similarly cracked open the box when it arrived and it came up first.

Jimmy Wakely doesn’t seem to get a lot of love from the oater fans here, but I thought he and the film were OK.

However, I'm still enjoying Dick Foran and Warner Bros., and am in no particular rush to return to the set.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I have vols. 1-11 of the Three Mesquiteers double features from VCI, Vol. 1 of Monogram, Vol. 2 of Tim Holt (no idea why they sent me Vol. 2 but not 1), a Hopalong Cassidy box, a few Gene Autry discs, and a slew of assorted A westerns, but I don't go to that area of Castle Gravy too often.

Barcroft
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Gravy,
A poor man's Gene Autry but I still enjoyed his films.
Barcroft

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Monogram Week · Next Topic »
Add Reply