Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Murder by Invitation (1941)
Topic Started: Jan 31 2016, 09:34 AM (182 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Murder by Invitation (1941) Dir. Phil Rosen

The greedy family of an old bat with $3 million stashed in cash in her mansion tries to have her committed to get their hands on her dough, after they fail, she invites them to spend the night, but at midnight, they start dying in various unpleasant ways. Is the old lady responsible, or is somebody else? Newsman Wally Ford and sidekick Herb Vigran will try 'n' figger it out.

Although the caricature of a movie director shows him carrying a riding crop and a megaphone, I'm forced to believe that Monogram directors actually carried a physical cookie cutter. A big old house with lots of rooms and secret panels, an unlikable cravenly hero who nonetheless gets the girl, stiffs falling out of closets, and a "joke" wrap-up with someone talking to us out here in the audience (those of us who are left) - have we not seen this many, many times?

This is actually one of the better ones, I guess.

Million-dollar Dialog:
Grandma, giving her opinion of her sanity hearing: "Why should I worry? I'm the only sane person in the family of nitwits."

Mr. Vigran, watching our romantic stars as the film fades to black at the end: "The Hays Office ain't gonna like that long kiss!"

Marian Marsh is the object of Mr. Ford's affections; Sarah Padden is the old lady; Dave O'Brien and Minerva Urecal are amongst the suspects or victims.

Another Monogram Picture.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Monogram Week · Next Topic »
Add Reply