Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Navy Secrets (1939)
Topic Started: Mar 24 2016, 04:45 AM (157 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Navy Secrets (1939) Dir. Howard Bretherton

Attempting to deliver some rare stamps for a shipmate, CPO Grant Withers apparently stumbles into a den of foreign spies. Which side is the shipmate's mysterious girlfriend, Fay Wray, on?

Fairly abysmal Pre-War "thriller" without thrills; the movie is filled with men with foreign accents sitting around looking extremely glum in nightclubs where Navy personnel frequent; they'd have been corralled in seconds flat by the FBI. Even the MGM Crime Reporter would've spotted THESE mooks. As for me, I spent the whole hour wondering what the hell happened to Fay Wray's career.

Million-dollar Dialog:
Out nightclubbing, Grant discovers he's run short of cash so Fay loans him some.
Grant: "Ten dollars! Gee, I didn't know girls carried that much money!"

There's no action in the film (well, a couple of guys get socked inna puss, but it happens fast) and no humor, except for a long scene where our two stars (such as they were in 1939, we'd better use the term loosely) are trying to neck on a park bench and a kid on a bike keeps interrupting them. The way the sequence is shot and played, it's actual the only suspense and drama in the whole picture.

The thing's a stinker, but I discovered something: I watched the first third (Alpha DVD) on my regular TV, and it looked average for Alpha, which is lousy for anyone else; then I moved over to my computer, smaller screen, and it looked better; then I watched the last 15 min. on my smartphone, and the picture looked much better. Watch Alpha discs small is the lesson to be learned, my friends.

"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

No offense, LG, but that will be the day I watch a movie on a smartphone.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

riddlerider
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Size doesn't matter in this case. I acquired a near mint 16mm print of this film and saw it for the first time projected on a eight-foot screen. Razor-sharp image and crystal-clear sound. Didn't mean a thing. The first screening was also the last. I sold the print as fast as I could. Fortunately, in the early '90s, you could still get rid of rare Monograms pretty easily.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Yes, even by Monogram standards, which are fairly meager to begin with, this one's poor.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

« Previous Topic · Monogram Week · Next Topic »
Add Reply