Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Little Orphan Annie (1918) Kickstarter for restoration and DVD release
Topic Started: Aug 18 2016, 04:26 AM (987 Views)
rodney
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Eric Grayson has launched a Kickstarter to restore Little Orphan Anne (1918) starring Colleen Moore. I believe that Thad Komorowski is also working on the restoration. Because the film is disintegrating as I type this, it's an important project:

Little Orphan Annie Kickstarter

This is a project to strongly consider worth backing.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Thanks for the heads up, Rodney. This silent film fan will be throwing his support behind this project.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

No love for this restoration, around here?

For me, another bonus of this effort is that LITTLE ORPHANT ANNIE was made by the Selig Company, headed by Col. William Selig (the actual man who invented Hollywood), and whose biography I just recently finished (a must read for film fans). In fact, this film was one of the last produced before the Selig Company went out of business due to the changes made to film distribution at that time.

This is the type of site that should be championing these restoration efforts.

rodney
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I must admit that I'm a little surprised as well. This is pretty much the only chance for this film to be preserved in a viewable format. I think it's a big deal and am glad that Eric and his team have taken on the task, which, based on the video on the pledge site, is going to be super difficult.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Well, I've done my part with a hefty pledge and a post with link on the film's message board page on IMDb.

Hopefully other Balconeers feel the same way we do. This film needs to be saved.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Bumping this up. The indifference of Balconeers is disconcerting. I expected more from this site.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

I'm going to keep bumping this thing, with 12 days to go, hopefully it will generate some support.

If any Balconeer has, or is planning to, support this release, please post here that you have. Monetary disclosures are not required, it's just nice to hear that someone cares.

Ugxela
Balcony Baby
[ * ]
I supported the restoration on Kickstarter.

You aren't alone.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Thank you, Ugxela, your support and voice are both welcome.

rodney
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Here's some additional motivation:

"A number of people have asked me about King of the Kongo. I restored one episode of this with a Kickstarter several years ago and then two more with funds from the National Film Preservation Foundation.

Here are the answers to the questions:

1) We don't have all the sound to King of the Kongo, so it's impossible to restore it completely. I've restored all the complete chapters of the film. We have three more chapters with half sound. That's three chapters complete, three chapters with half sound and four chapters with no sound at all.

2) There are not CURRENTLY plans to release King of the Kongo on DVD or Blu-Ray. All of the thank-yous were delivered at the time, so those people owed them have them now. I am working on a deal now to release this on a commercial DVD. I know many of you would love to see this, and I would too. There are many issues about it that I'm not at liberty to discuss... yet. In short, I'm hoping to find upgraded picture material to go with the sound.

3) I had not planned to provide copies of King of the Kongo with this project, since they are very different projects. However, I can add a thank-you if there's enough demand for it. I can't do the whole serial, because the transfer costs would be prohibitive, but I can throw in the three complete chapters we have (5,6, and 10). Send me a message if you are so motivated and we can do it. These would have to be on a DVD-R since there won't be enough made to justify a commercial pressing."

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Thanks, Rodney, I was going to post this when I got to work this morning. I am one of those who asked, after I learned yesterday of Eric's earlier Kickstarter campaign.

It may only be three chapters, but I think it's an excellent incentive. And as you can see by reading, Eric is still attempting to located additional material for this serial, so all hope is not lost yet.

The current campaign for "Annie" has 139 backers who have pledged $5,645 of the $10,000 goal (or 56%) with 11 days left to go.

It's going to be close.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Ba-bump.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Only $100 in pledges added today, not good. This will need over $400/day added, from here to the end, if it's going to get restored.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Almost $6,000 in pledges, a little over $4,000 to go.

It would be a shame if this opportunity was lost.

Come on, silent film fans, for a pledge of $30 you get the movie on Blu-Ray (with extras, including commentary) and a thank-you postcard.

A pretty damn good deal for a Blu-Ray, never mind one that is a definite niche release.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

I'm baaaack.

With just over $1,500 in pledges needed, and five days left to pledge, this project is coming down to the wire.

Hoping some Balconeers haven't seen this thread yet and will chip in.

I am surprised silent fans like RR and Mr Hale have not chimed in on this. On way or the other.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Silents, Please · Next Topic »
Add Reply