Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Silver Star (1955)
Topic Started: Sep 6 2016, 09:15 PM (211 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Robert L. Lippert presents
The Silver Star (1955) Dir. Richard Bartlett

The third-generation new sheriff, whose father and grandfather were both killed in the line of duty, decides he really doesn't want the job, thank you very much, when three tough hombres come to town gunnin' for him, but the old, drunken retired sheriff and the new sheriff's chief rival for the job decide to be helpful, even though one of 'em has a secret agenda that we can't reveal here without spoiling the whole movie, even though you'll guess it two minutes into this thing.

Part of the endless parade of High Noon ripoffs, and an okay one, I s'pose, all things considered. Earle Lyon (who also produced and secretly co-wrote) is the new sheriff, and not only are YOU a better actor than he is, so is the bar stool my butt is sittin' on as I type this. Marie Windsor is Grace Kelly, for the most part; Edgar Buchanan (with top billing for probably the only time in his career) is the old sheriff, Lon Chaney is the rival (and he must've gotten a kick out of remaking High Noon so soon after the first one) and Barton MacLane (bad) and Morris Ankrum (good) are townsfolk as well. The director plays the chief gunman, and he's actually pretty good (as an actor, anyway).

Par for the course for these things is an annoying and repetitive song, played every couple of minutes. This one's by Jimmy Wakely, and it's awful.

Million-dollar Repetitive Theme Song Lyrics:
"What good am I buried under the sky with her plantin' flowers on my gra-a-a-a-a-ave?"

The DVD "Lonesome Trail Western Double-Feature" from VCI features an interview with Mr. Lyon, who says that Mr. Lippert told him he could make any genre of film as he wanted, so long it was a western. He also said Chaney was always drinking but never drunk, always showed up on time and was very professional, and did a good job (he did, too).

I s'pose you could say this film was "competent" and leave it at that; we're near the end of the trail for the independent Lippert productions, you know. *sigh*

"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Have, but haven't watched yet. I'll try to fit it in this week.

Sad to here we're near the end of the road for Lipperts. Overall, a very enjoyable oeuvre.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

outerlimit
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Another movie with Marie Windsor! I wish someone would put out a DVD collection of her movies.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

I was a little ambitious. Having just moved, my movie collection is in disarray and I've not yet found this one to watch.

outerlimit
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Moved address or just from your seat?!

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Ba-dump!

That was a good one, Outie.

« Previous Topic · Tumbleweed Terrace · Next Topic »
Add Reply