Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wife Wanted (1946)
Topic Started: Sep 21 2016, 09:09 AM (156 Views)
rodney
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

"Here's The Whole Shocking Story Of So-Called "Friendship Clubs" That Sell Marriage, Companionship and Romance, But Deliver Shame and Extortion!"

Kay Francis, in her last film role (she also produced this) stars as an actress who is having a tough time finding an acceptable film role (her manager is Jonathon Hale and he has a giant photo of Sidney Toler as Charlie Chan on the wall). Said manager talks her into getting involved with a guy working on a big real estate deal. For some reason, after this, Hale is never seen again. A pity, because I like him in movies.

ANYHOW...said real estate agent (Paul Cavanagh) is also running a shady lonely hearts club with his secret wife, Veda Ann Borg. Ol' Kay gets used to sucker a lonely hearts client out of some cash, and he winds up dead. Enter Robert Shayne, as the scrappy newspaper reporter who sets out to determine who killed the lonely hearts client. Along the way, he falls in love with Kay, and they bust up the organization.

It's a Monogram. And one directed by Phil Karlson yet. So you kind of know what you're getting. It's breezy. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but the cast is great and full of fun, familiar faces.

There are better ways to blow an hour and ten. But then, there are worse.
Edited by rodney, Sep 21 2016, 09:19 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

outerlimit
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
I am a fan of Kay Francis.
Where can one find her post-war Monogram films of which this is one?
Has anyone perhaps recorded them from TCM?

Bert Greene
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
I got a disc of "Wife Wanted" about a year ago, and I enjoyed it, for what it was. Modest, low-budget melodrama of a distinctly mid-1940s flavor. The trio of Monograms that Kay Francis made always intrigued me a bit, as she co-produced them, and they seemed to share an outlook of sorts. All little well-meaning social lesson films from a feminine perspective, but also with a whiff of exploitation potential. In a weird way, the films (despite their shortcomings) always made me think more highly of Francis, and sorry she didn't stick around a little longer, continuing with a series of these offbeat little efforts.

rodney
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
outerlimit
Sep 21 2016, 02:15 PM
I am a fan of Kay Francis.
Where can one find her post-war Monogram films of which this is one?
Has anyone perhaps recorded them from TCM?
This one is available from Warner Archive, and it does pop up on TCM sometimes.

« Previous Topic · Monogram Week · Next Topic »
Add Reply