Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Doctor Strange; LATEST MARVEL SUPERHERO MOVIE
Topic Started: Mar 17 2017, 04:32 PM (63 Views)
williejg
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
I just got the DVD of this. Marvel has really done it this time!! This is the worst abortion of a comic book character brought to the big screen so far. When will Marvel learn to stick to a character's true origins, instead of changing things to suit the younger audience.

I was absolutely appalled by this movie. It could not have been farther from the roots of this series than it was. Making the Ancient One a female and having her delve into the Dark Side for her use was absolutely deplorable to me. I wanted to puke!! The cartoon movie from a few years back was at least faithful to Dr. Strange's origins. Not so for this current piece of crap!!!

And the special effects were far less than I was expecting them to be from Marvel. They did a fabulous job on the first X-Men movie and the first Avengers movie, but everything else they've done has been a disappointment to me.

Oh, excuse me. They did a good job on the first Spiderman movie too. The special effects were darn good. But, they did screw up the story by trying to compress 25 years of the series into a 2 hour movie.

Don't get me wrong. Marvel's done a whole lot better than DC in their movie adaptations. But Doctor Strange is a complete disaster!! I guess I feel this way because Doc Strange was my favorite Marvel Character when I was a kid. I had every single issue of the series in my collection, and probably read the entire run 3 or 4 times. It was even more amazing when he got his own comic.

So yes, I am biased about Doc Strange. The animated movie was better because it stuck to the original story. The 1978 TV movie was also better. Even though they changed the original story, it was somehow more palatable. I think it was due to the fact the the Doc eventually lost his "Super-Ego". That doesn't seem to happen in this new movie

I guess that's about all I have to say about this movie.

willie
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I didn't get a chance to see this one on the big screen, but picked up the Blu-Ray a couple of weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it overall.

They were faithful to Strange's origin story and Cumberbatch's presentation of him was spot-on. And he was hilarious, too.

The changing of the Ancient One to a woman can be hard to take, though Tilda Swinton did a good job. I heard Marvel changed the character from an Asian man to avoid any stereotypes. I think they were wrong to do it, but it doesn't take away from the film.

Special effects are great, and must have looked awesome on the big screen. I was never much of a magic guy, but I really enjoyed Dr. Strange.

I also enjoyed the 1978 TV movie, but then again, I enjoy all those Marvel TV series and TV movies from the 70s/80s. I did not enjoy the Dr. Strange animated film. I can't recall right now, but I only gave it a 6/10, and I remember I was glad when it was over.

And Marvel didn't do the special effects for the X-Men (Fox) or Spider-man (Sony), but I feel all the Marvel films so far have had great to spectacular special effects.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · From the Funny Pages · Next Topic »
Add Reply